PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

Draft Strategies anyone?

Well, i was thinking about it as I do every football pre-season when i am ready to do some live drafts... draft position determines team--almost like a theorum or a hypothesis...

think about it...what spots are the best to pick at? here are my opinions on what picks are best to have:

1---#1 in draft order: duh? you get to pick first and then on the way back you get to pick twice. sometimes this can hurt you though.
    2--#2 in draft order: 2nd power pick over all and then you get to steal the best possible pick from number 1 on the way back from 10.
    3---#10 in draft order: you might think--why not #3 in draft order? well, you get to pick two really good picks in a row in the first/second round and then you play strategy in the 3rd/4rth rounds to take the WR's.
    4--#9 in draft order: much like the #2 pick but less deadly.

worst play to be is number 4, 5, & 6 in the draft because you are relying on too many factors to go your way to get the best people per position.

what does everyone think?

and if you have any strategies, feel free to post them.

PA

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Draft Strategies anyone?

"PAvikesfan" wrote:
    Well, i was thinking about it as I do every football pre-season when i am ready to do some live drafts... draft position determines team--almost like a theorum or a hypothesis...

think about it...what spots are the best to pick at? here are my opinions on what picks are best to have:

1---#1 in draft order: duh? you get to pick first and then on the way back you get to pick twice. sometimes this can hurt you though.

PA
    Definitely ! last year was the first time I had done a live draft and I had the #1 pick as well. I remember reading somewhere that you should go for the RBs first unless someone like Moss or TO was available. So I took Moss and look what happened ! ...lol
    Course by the time it came back to my second pick a lot of the top notch RBs had gone. I'll put that down to experience and hope that I get a mid-late pick instead
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "PAvikesfan" wrote:

PA
    Definitely ! last year was the first time I had done a live draft and I had the #1 pick as well. I remember reading somewhere that you should go for the RBs first unless someone like Moss or TO was available. So I took Moss and look what happened ! ...lol
    Course by the time it came back to my second pick a lot of the top notch RBs had gone. I'll put that down to experience and hope that I get a mid-late pick instead
    that's what i mean how it can hurt you too. i had the number 1 one time and i picked marshal faulk (when he came off of a huge season). i thought i was the cat's meow. then he got injured in the second game a played half-ass the rest of the year. the person who had the best, most productive, team in the league that year actually picked at number 10.

there is a lot of pressure to make the best decision at #1, where as #2 is the next obvious choice. this year the number 1 and 2 picks should be the same in any league draft: peyton manning and LT...doesn't matter which order they are in. it is very clear cut who should be picked.

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

Hate to disagree but I have to. You can win your league from any draft position! The first three rounds everyone knows who the best players are and who will go when(within say five picks) The keys to winning IMHO are to start out with two stud running backs if not three and to pick wisely in the middle rounds. I know Culpepper and Manning are intriuging picks right away but only if your scoring system favors the QB possition. Your team will be make or break in the middle rounds. Look at last year, Tiki Barber was probaly drafted in the 4th or 5th rounds and where was Muhammid drafted(granted S Smith got hurt) but these were steals last year and your goal is to find the new ones this year. Dont fret over the first rounds, study the middle guys and for god sakes DON'T TAKE A KICKER UNTIL THE END.
    I.B.O.T. #213

it is true you can draft a good team even in the middle draft order, but having one those i mentioned makes stradegy easier IMO...at lewast in the 10+ leagues I have been in. you always have to pick smart and you'd be a fool to not take a running back with your first pick. mainly i have been in leagues where the QB gets a full 6 for every TD. however, this year i am in Kleiny's EA sports one which does not favor the QB so for that league what you are saying if def true. however, in my yahoo league, it is not and it would be foolish to not take manning first since he puts up on average 4 tds a game and bunch of yards.

my predictions for the first 7 picks in a QB equal 6 league:
    1. LT
    2. Manning
    3. shawn Alexander
    4. Priest holmes
    5. Willis McGahee
    6. Culp
    7. Moss

my predictions for 1st 7 picks in a QB equal 3 points/TD league:
    1. LT
    2. Alexander
    3. Holmes
    4. McGahee
    5. Cory Dillan
    6. Manning
    7. Moss

someone always picks moss for the 7th pick--haha.

as for a kicker...i would usually wait on that too. some people make the mistake of taking a TE in third when there is plenty of great production WR's out there. i have mixed feelings about that.