Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 2010 PPO FF - OWNERS TAKE NOTE!!

purplepat wrote:
    Zeus -

Nothing personal, but what idiot is responsible for this travesty?
    Me.

I can understand limiting the # of RBs and WRs to 4 on each roster. But with your minimums (2 QB, 3 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 1 K, 2 D), that takes up 13 of our 14 roster spots. When it comes to dealing with bye weeks, what are we supposed to do if one guy is on a bye and one is injured?
    The point of the minimums is to make sure that owners do not hoard RBs and WRs. I, myself, have taken advantage of roster limits in previous leagues and seasons to force other owners into bad positions. In addition, these moves were done to trigger more player movement and more variety in winning lineups.

We used to have a taxi squad and injured reserve, but we don't have access to those any more.
    Taxi squad and IR were eliminated prior to last season and no one said Boo.

And, were these roster limit changes (and they are changes) publicized before the draft?
    The roster reduction was listed in the PPO Fantasy League thread. I don't believe that any roster limits were changed outside of cutting back from 16 to 14 players.

I know my top two WRs have byes on the same week.
    You're in a better position than me, because all 3 of my current WRs have the same BYE week. That's bad drafting on my part.

I guess I can work around this, but with these limitations I would think the rosters would be at least 15 players, or we'd have IR available to us to stash a hurt player and pick up a player for one week. I know PPO is not responsible for how the autodraft works, but the software should have accounted for these minimums. I'm sure some of these guys are really screwed now.
    I'm annoyed at how the auto-draft worked for some people. Some owners ended up with more RBs, for example, than allowed, and I don't understand how that happened. Those owners will need to make waiver moves to acquire the proper roster limits - or propose trades with other owners.

And I appreciate your concerns - please don't think that I'm blowing them off.

However - the rules were on the website for a couple of weeks prior to the draft, and no one made any comment. There is a point where I cannot be hand-holding the owners. It's hard enough for me to get 40 people (8 people didn't respond to the invitations) to log onto the website and remove the asterisk from their team name.

As I have done after the past 2 seasons, there will be a thread at the end of the year for people to post their comments about how the season went. Only 9 posts were made to that thread after last season - most of them by me. That thread also included my future plan to cut rosters from 16 to 14 players.

This rule is going to force some people to either take a zero for a player one week because they will have to start someone on a bye, or cut a really good player because they don't have enough players to start.

End rant.
    All owners are in the same position. No one has an advantage. Let's see how it goes.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Zeus wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    MaxVike wrote:
    purplepat wrote:
    Zeus -

Nothing personal, but what idiot is responsible for this travesty?

I can understand limiting the # of RBs and WRs to 4 on each roster. But with your minimums (2 QB, 3 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 1 K, 2 D), that takes up 13 of our 14 roster spots. When it comes to dealing with bye weeks, what are we supposed to do if one guy is on a bye and one is injured? We used to have a taxi squad and injured reserve, but we don't have access to those any more. And, were these roster limit changes (and they are changes) publicized before the draft? I know my top two WRs have byes on the same week. I guess I can work around this, but with these limitations I would think the rosters would be at least 15 players, or we'd have IR available to us to stash a hurt player and pick up a player for one week. I know PPO is not responsible for how the autodraft works, but the software should have accounted for these minimums. I'm sure some of these guys are really screwed now.

This rule is going to force some people to either take a zero for a player one week because they will have to start someone on a bye, or cut a really good player because they don't have enough players to start.

End rant.
    hmmm, I think I can answer the question...plan, and/or use the Waiver Wire like the rest of us.
    I can't even do that. I try to pick up a RB and it gives me an error because I only have 1 TE. I'm not dropping a TE. Trade doesn't go through.
    Why would you drop a TE? That doesn't make any sense. If you only have 1 TE, you need 2.

=Z=
    I wasn't dropping a TE. I was dropping my extra kicker for a RB. I got it figured out.

It might get complicated if someone needs 2 defenses and a kicker.

Right now it looks like less than half the teams have a valid roster. Do they get a zero if they don't have the proper alottment by thursday?

ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler

Zeus wrote:
    ndnorseman wrote:
    I have 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 4 WRs, 2 TEs, 1 K and 1 Defense.

No error messages for me. I don't mind taking the hit for the bye weeks of my kicker and D...not many points there, but if I lose by 5 or less points on those weeks, I might change my tune. LOL
    That can't be right - you only have 13 players.

=Z=
    Well, it appears right now, that I'm only allowed to have 13 players. It won't let me add any more without this error message:

This move will put you ndnorseman over max roster size. (Error #175)

Even if I were to drop a WR or RB and add a 2nd Defense, that would still just have me at 13 players on my roster.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

jmcdon00 wrote:
    It might get complicated if someone needs 2 defenses and a kicker.
    That's me.

I had my team autodrafted, I got stuck with 1 decent, and 4 shitty receivers, 5 RB's, 2 QB's and 2 TE's. No Defense and no kicker.

you'd think whoever coded the autopick for that site would mabye make it follow league rules? nah. Instead we pick Miles Austin in the second round. FML.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Zeus wrote:
    The roster reduction was listed in the PPO Fantasy League thread. I don't believe that any roster limits were changed outside of cutting back from 16 to 14 players.
    =Z=
    That's what I get for not hanging around here enough. :dry:

The issue would have been much less severe if the cutback had only been to 15 players rather than 14. Since you must start 2 RBs and 2 WRs each week, it doesn't leave you much room for error. As I said, you hit a bye week and someone gets nicked up, and you may not have any options other than to cut your 4th RB or WR (whichever one you have, it's impossible to have 4 of each), or risk taking a zero at that roster spot to avoid cutting a quality player.

Well, at least I'm forewarned prior to next season's draft. Will have to make sure you never have two players at the same position that have the same bye week.

This might have the effect of getting some trades going in this league (which have been nearly nonexistent).

Again, I can understand the ideal of not allowing teams to stash too many quality players. but with only 10 teams in each division, 40 RBs and 40 WRs mean only 8 #2 RBs (who could be guys like Brandon Jacobs, Thomas Jones, LaDanian Tomlinson, Ricky Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Reggie Bush, Marion Barber, Larry Johnson) would likely be picked up, and 8 #2 WRs (Wes Welker, Pierre Garcon, you get the picture). Limiting each team to 4 RBs and WRs would not have allowed unfair hoarding (but it might still penalize an owner who drafted poorly or wasn't on the ball regarding hot "free agents" like Miles Austin was last year).

We'll see how this year goes, and discuss it at the end of the season.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I don't mind the 14 spots. I don't like that I have to keep a backup QB, TE, Def.
    I think it will actually make these positions much more crucial, as there will be few options via FA. It should be no problem to get servicable WR andRB via FA.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

Please don't crucify the new guy, but I have a few comments.

First, I knew about the roster limits because I had read all of the threads leading up to the draft, and checked out the league rules on the league site a couple of days beforehand. It wasn't hard.

Since I have not played before, the changes did not affect me directly. 16 vs. 14 made no difference to me. I was a bit frustrated when I found that the links for taxi and IR did not allow me to use them, but them's the breaks.

I drafted live, and was unable to choose someone beyond the league limits, got an error. I'm not sure why auto-pick allowed this, probably an oversight on the programmers' part.

I also ran into the issue of multiple players at one position having the same bye week. 2 pf my 3 WRs and 2 of 3 RBs have the same bye, as well as both Kickers I originally took. But that is why the bye week numbers are listed next to the player's name on the lists. I messed this us because I was feeling rushed due to so many auto-picks flying by so quickly.

I don't really find this to be a problem, however. I agree with the intent of the roster limits, to encourage widespread trades and waiver wire action. I really thought that was supposed to be a major component of the game, simulating the reality of running a pro football franchise. You have to deal with these issues as they come up, as well as injuries and suspensions.

Everyone likes to have things made easy for them, but I find that a win or even a good strong finish is much more gratifying if I have to work for it.

So, that said... anyone still need (aside from IBP) a Kicker or Defense? I have spares.

:P

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler

Never mind my input from earlier...it's obvious to me now, that y'all are talking about a different League than Pillage and Plunder II in Yahoo, which is the one I'm in. That League has 13-man rosters, which is what was causing my confusion.

You may proceed. LOL

ndnorseman wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    ndnorseman wrote:
    I have 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 4 WRs, 2 TEs, 1 K and 1 Defense.

No error messages for me. I don't mind taking the hit for the bye weeks of my kicker and D...not many points there, but if I lose by 5 or less points on those weeks, I might change my tune. LOL
    That can't be right - you only have 13 players.
    Well, it appears right now, that I'm only allowed to have 13 players. It won't let me add any more without this error message:

This move will put you ndnorseman over max roster size. (Error #175)

Even if I were to drop a WR or RB and add a 2nd Defense, that would still just have me at 13 players on my roster.
    Which team is yours?? I don't see one in the PPO FF league with a team owner of your screen-name...

=Z=

purplepat wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    That's what I get for not hanging around here enough. :dry:

The issue would have been much less severe if the cutback had only been to 15 players rather than 14. Since you must start 2 RBs and 2 WRs each week, it doesn't leave you much room for error. As I said, you hit a bye week and someone gets nicked up, and you may not have any options other than to cut your 4th RB or WR (whichever one you have, it's impossible to have 4 of each), or risk taking a zero at that roster spot to avoid cutting a quality player.

Well, at least I'm forewarned prior to next season's draft. Will have to make sure you never have two players at the same position that have the same bye week.

This might have the effect of getting some trades going in this league (which have been nearly nonexistent).

Again, I can understand the ideal of not allowing teams to stash too many quality players. but with only 10 teams in each division, 40 RBs and 40 WRs mean only 8 #2 RBs (who could be guys like Brandon Jacobs, Thomas Jones, LaDanian Tomlinson, Ricky Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Reggie Bush, Marion Barber, Larry Johnson) would likely be picked up, and 8 #2 WRs (Wes Welker, Pierre Garcon, you get the picture). Limiting each team to 4 RBs and WRs would not have allowed unfair hoarding (but it might still penalize an owner who drafted poorly or wasn't on the ball regarding hot "free agents" like Miles Austin was last year).

We'll see how this year goes, and discuss it at the end of the season.
    Pat - as noted - I'm listening to everything that you and others are saying. The auto-draft screwing up messed things up for everyone, not just those on auto-pick. I saw those problems during the draft (I think it was Gally who pointed out how some teams had 5 RBs and no Ks, for example) and could not figure out why that had happened.

I'm hesitant to change a rule following the draft, but I am giving serious consideration to relaxing the need for 2 defenses.

Would that be a good compromise for now?

=Z=

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast