bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Zone Blocking - This was a really good read...

[url=http:/www.tomahawknation.com/2009/6/9/900288/understanding-zone-blocking-and[/url]

I wouldn't normally just throw a link out there, but, this was a good read.
    None

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Zone Blocking - This was a really good read...

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2009/6/9/900288/understanding-zone-blocking-and

Today I will try to teach you something about offensive line play. Specifically, I will discuss Florida State's offensive line. In this article, I'll cover the questions "why zone blocking?", "what is zone blocking?", and "what type of players do we need to run a zone system?" In future editions, I'll cover specific plays and the passing game.

First, you may have heard that Florida State is primarily a zone blocking team. This is a departure from the days of Mark Richt and those who preceded him, who favored "man blocking" schemes.
    We're bringing purple back.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Zone Blocking - This was a really good read...

Couldn't get to the site. Damn firewall.

Anyways, I love threads like this. Couple of additional sites I found last year when I was trying to figure out the scheme shift that Bevell said they were implementing last year (highlighted below).....

What is zone blocking?
    Zone blocking in the running game is when two or three offensive linemen work in tandem as opposed to each offensive lineman having a specific, predetermined man to block. Zone blocking involves the center, guard, tackle and tight end working in combination to block an area with an emphasis on double-teaming the defensive linemen who are aligned on the line of scrimmage.

The concept is for two adjacent linemen to come off in unison and attack a defensive line to the play side or to the side the ball carrier is going. The advantage, as opposed to man blocking, is that you create a double-team with two players blocking one defensive lineman. This allows the offensive linemen to be aggressive because he knows he has help if his defensive lineman was to pinch inside. It also provides movement at the point of attack, which can open creases for the running back.

Zone blocking initially starts out as a double team at the point of attack on the down defensive linemen, but the beauty of it is that one of the offensive linemen will leave to attack the linebacker while one stays to take over the defensive lineman. The key is for the two offensive linemen working in unison to double-team the defensive lineman to decide who and when one of them will leave to block the linebacker. In the diagram below, we show the offensive line starting the initial double team on the defensive lineman.

Conclusion
    Zone blocking was created to handle moving defensive linemen. It is a simple concept, but it takes a lot of practice because it involves offensive linemen working in unison and decisions have to be made while the play is taking place. In zone blocking, you don't have a lot of different assignments, but you have a lot of techniques. It takes many repetitions to get the feel of working together as a unit. The diversity of zone blocking comes by the back running different angles and by the offense using different formations to confuse the defense.
    Football 101: Zone blocking

This little snippet was what helped me when I started researching. Mostly because of the word "Techniques" and how it associates to what the OLmen are doing.

So then I plugged in ZB Scheme and the word Technique and of course Wiki had some info......

Linemen techniques
    Using a running back out of the backfield, zone plays are usually categorized into three types: Inside Zone (IZ), Outside Zone (OZ) and Stretch. These types describe the initial landmark of the ball carrier. A common approach is: Inside the tackles for IZ, just outside the tackle for OZ and just inside the last offensive player for the stretch.

For each type of zone there are many different blocking schemes available: - The most basic form asks the offensive linemen to identify whether he is covered or uncovered. If the latter is the case, he is asked to help play-side on a double team by using wide lateral steps or even bucket steps. The resulting double team then reacts to the movement of the linemen as well as the movement of the linebacker. The initial movement of the double teams helps to equalize defensive talent and creates cutback lanes.

- Another scheme asks the offensive linemen to imagine a "railroad track" parallel to the running backs path and block everything they find on their way. This could be a linebacker, but also a slanting defensive linemen from somewhere else.

- Starting from either inside or outside, some offensive lines always pair two on one and use a fullback to block the remaining defender outside. This makes it necessary for the offensive linemen to use a variety of line-splits and steps.

- By using a counting system some offenses believe to eliminate unfavorable matchups that can be the result of unusual defensive alignment. This is often used in conjunction with other schemes.

- For the outside varieties of the zone play a scheme that is called Pin&Pull has had great success. The linemen do not step play-side, but try to "pin" a backside defensive linemen, while the next backside offensive linemen pulls around the block and up to a track to the second level.

Today every NFL team uses some form of zone blocking but not all of them rely on it entirely.
    Zone blocking - From our good friends at Wiki

I still don't know why they were teaching the "Tracking" (also called "Railroading") but from what little I could find, it appears that helps the OLmen when it comes to penalties associated with the ZB'ing scheme and misdirection plays.

Notice I said "Appears". I could find very little on that subject.

What I did find out is that the ZB scheme can be used for both pass protection and run blocking but is best suited, and typically used by teams, for run blocking only.

When a team runs a "Pass" play, they generally shift back to some sort of "Man" blocking scheme.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a team in the league that runs a man or zone exclusively.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Prophet wrote:
    To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a team in the league that runs a man or zone exclusively.
    I haven't been able to find any evidence of it. Until we get to see each and every play replayed from the "Above game" camera, we will probably continue to only speculate on all of this stuff.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

There was one on the west coast. If I can find the book mark on my cpu, I will share it.

I love these types of articles. Makes you feel really dumb because you know nothing about the topic or really smart because you feel like you could call the plays after learning about it. Nice find.
    We're bringing purple back.