Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Are This Year's Detroit Lions The 2000 Vikings?

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    Roy Williams, Furrey, Calvin Johnson and Mike Martz should make for an exciting passing game in Detroit.
    CJ is unproven, but he doesn't have to be a standout to make the passing game effective in Detroit.
    On the other hand, if he does turn into the player most people believe he will be, these guys could be nasty.

Fortunately, it takes more than a great passing game to equal wins.
    It didn't for the 2000 Vikings!
    ;D
    OK, now you can slam me! But in a way it's true. But we did have Robert Smith who gains over 1500 yards.
    I don't see this year's Lions as an image of the 2000 Vikes, but it will be interesting to see if one great strength can outweigh many weaknesses.
    Martz in the mix is what gives these guys a chance of having a decent offense, otherwise, just a bunch of uber talented receivers on one team.

Rober Smith was a big factor, they've got a couple ok backs, but nothing that makes you plan against them.
    Can an aging Kitna equal the long arm of Culpepper?
    If Kitna had the ability to go 50+ yards on his throws, these guys would be a lot more dangerous and closer to the Moss/Culpepper combos that made us so effective.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Looking at the Lions roster with two great WR in Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams, a nice QB but nothing special in Kitna and only one good running back, are they the mirror image of the 2000 Vikings who went 11-5.

That year the Vikes had the #5 offense in the NFL but the #24 defense.
    They say "defense wins games," but that certainly wasn't true with the Vikings.
    I look for Detroit to be vastly improved this year. Their games with the Vikings will certainly be interesting to watch. Far more exciting that the Chicago or GB games in my estimation.
    Those who forget Mike Furrey are doomed to be royally fucked by him.
    He led the NFC in receptions last year!
    Calvin Johnson, as touted as he is, has done NOTHING in the NFL.
    You have no clue whether or not he's Roy or Mike Williams.
    I think CJ is a step above your average first round WR pick.
    He has everything a team could ask for as far as physical tools/strengths and ability to catch the ball.
    I don't think you can chalk him off as "Just another unproven rookie)...even though that is exactly what he is.
    He has the ability to immediately step in and be a huge threat.
    That "threat" alone is enough to open up options for Kitna...at least in the beginning of the season.
    I would expect teams to be dropping double coverages on him right from the get go.
    Double-cover the rookie who hasn't done a thing in the NFL or the Pro Bowl WR (Roy Williams!!!)?
    Hmmmm.
    Yeah, I can see teams doubling Calvin Johnson and leaving Roy Williams in single coverage.
    Sure.

Both Charles Rogers and Mike Williams were touted as being "can't miss" WR prospects.
    Don't forget that.
    There are no sure things in the NFL but Calvin Johnson is the closest there is to a sure thing. Barring injuries he will be a great play maker. At 6-5 with a 45" verticle and 4.35 40 I don't think many safeties in the league will be able to cover him one on one.
    Robert Gallery was also "the closest thing to a sure thing" after he was drafted.

Ooops.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    Your right Z...they won't double cover Calvin Johnson because Roy Williams is on the field.

:
    If they only focus their attention on Roy, than CJ and Furrey are going to have a hell of a season.
    Hell why even bother covering CJ...he is an unproven rookie who has done nothing.
    :
    Given the choice between double-covering the proven Pro Bowl WR or the unproven rookie, I think it's fairly obvious which one will be picked, at least to start the season.

=Z=

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    Your right Z...they won't double cover Calvin Johnson because Roy Williams is on the field.
    :
    If they only focus their attention on Roy, than CJ and Furrey are going to have a hell of a season.
    Hell why even bother covering CJ...he is an unproven rookie who has done nothing.
    :
    Given the choice between double-covering the proven Pro Bowl WR or the unproven rookie, I think it's fairly obvious which one will be picked, at least to start the season.

=Z=
    I think your wrong...I think both players will be seeing bits of double coverages.

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:

:
    :
    I think your wrong...I think both players will be seeing bits of double coverages.
    Personally, I hope Calvin Johnson IS the next Charles Rogers.
    Because the Lions scare the freaking shit outta me with Kitna and those 3 WRs.

At this point, however, CJ is 3rd on the depth-chart behind Williams and Furrey.

=Z=

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    Personally, I hope Calvin Johnson IS the next Charles Rogers...
    You made many CJ crotch sniffers cry with that statement.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    :
    :
    Personally, I hope Calvin Johnson IS the next Charles Rogers.
    Because the Lions scare the freaking shit outta me with Kitna and those 3 WRs.

At this point, however, CJ is 3rd on the depth-chart behind Williams and Furrey.

=Z=
    Yeah, facing them is going to have defensive coordinators scratching their heads all week.
    I guess that is why they get paid the big bucks.

I wonder if your not better off blitzing heavy with a team like that.
    An an ideal world you'd double cover all three receivers, but obviously that isn't going to work either.
    If you can blast through their suspect O-line and put immediate pressure on Kitna, maybe there is hope.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

We're just going to have to hope that Kitna doesn't get down that number of interceptions from last year.

He had 22 and were 2nd in the league with that.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

The lions are the lions nuff said.And until they prove differently they are still the lions

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

they're still a bunch of little kittys lost in the shuffle.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast