Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Are This Year's Detroit Lions The 2000 Vikings?

Depends on how they execute, and how the coaching staff prepares from week to week.

Any group of players, with some skills, and do well in the league in the right cirumstances.
    NFL can be tricky sometimes.
    A injury or 2, playing a team when they are struggling or facing an injury, can make a difference.

The game is about skill, and some luck.

Having said that, I still think the Lions finish less than 6-10.....They have Millen

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Looking at the Lions roster with two great WR in Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams, a nice QB but nothing special in Kitna and only one good running back, are they the mirror image of the 2000 Vikings who went 11-5.

That year the Vikes had the #5 offense in the NFL but the #24 defense.
    They say "defense wins games," but that certainly wasn't true with the Vikings.
    I look for Detroit to be vastly improved this year. Their games with the Vikings will certainly be interesting to watch. Far more exciting that the Chicago or GB games in my estimation.
    Those who forget Mike Furrey are doomed to be royally fucked by him.
    He led the NFC in receptions last year!
    Calvin Johnson, as touted as he is, has done NOTHING in the NFL.
    You have no clue whether or not he's Roy or Mike Williams.

=Z=

I think CJ is a step above your average first round WR pick.
    He has everything a team could ask for as far as physical tools/strengths and ability to catch the ball.
    I don't think you can chalk him off as "Just another unproven rookie)...even though that is exactly what he is.
    He has the ability to immediately step in and be a huge threat.
    That "threat" alone is enough to open up options for Kitna...at least in the beginning of the season.
    I would expect teams to be dropping double coverages on him right from the get go.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Looking at the Lions roster with two great WR in Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams, a nice QB but nothing special in Kitna and only one good running back, are they the mirror image of the 2000 Vikings who went 11-5.

I look for Detroit to be vastly improved this year. Their games with the Vikings will certainly be interesting to watch. Far more exciting that the Chicago or GB games in my estimation.
    He has everything a team could ask for as far as physical tools/strengths and ability to catch the ball.
    I don't think you can chalk him off as "Just another unproven rookie)...even though that is exactly what he is.
    That "threat" alone is enough to open up options for Kitna...at least in the beginning of the season.
    I would expect teams to be dropping double coverages on him right from the get go.
    Double-cover the rookie who hasn't done a thing in the NFL or the Pro Bowl WR (Roy Williams!!!)?
    Hmmmm.
    Yeah, I can see teams doubling Calvin Johnson and leaving Roy Williams in single coverage.
    Sure.

Both Charles Rogers and Mike Williams were touted as being "can't miss" WR prospects.
    Don't forget that.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

=Z=

I agree that they will want to double cover him, but if they do it will leave Roy Williams and Mike furrey in single coverage. The lions offense is going to present major matchup problems for defenses. I think the vikings will matchup as well as anybody because we play alot of zone and don't blitz much. If the vikings can get pressure on Kitna with there front 4 they should be fine.
    I don't think they are the 2000 vikings mainly because there offensive line is not as good. Really though, who knows,
    we will just have to wait and see what happens.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

Those who forget Mike Furrey are doomed to be royally ~messed up~ by him.
    Double-cover the rookie who hasn't done a thing in the NFL or the Pro Bowl WR (Roy Williams!!!)?
    Hmmmm.
    Yeah, I can see teams doubling Calvin Johnson and leaving Roy Williams in single coverage.
    Sure.

Both Charles Rogers and Mike Williams were touted as being "can't miss" WR prospects.
    Don't forget that.

=Z=
    No kidding the only difference is that Calvin is bigger than Charles Rogers and Faster than Mike Williams, obviously the lack of those attributes were not their downfall but rather injury, work ethic, character.

Calvin seems to have good character, but a lot can change when you get the paycheck of the #2 overall pick.
    And injuries, well, nobody can predict.
    A lot of WRs struggle with the mental aspect of the NFL as well.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Roy Williams, Furrey, Calvin Johnson and Mike Martz should make for an exciting passing game in Detroit.
    CJ is unproven, but he doesn't have to be a standout to make the passing game effective in Detroit.
    On the other hand, if he does turn into the player most people believe he will be, these guys could be nasty.

Fortunately, it takes more than a great passing game to equal wins.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"tastywaves" wrote:
    Roy Williams, Furrey, Calvin Johnson and Mike Martz should make for an exciting passing game in Detroit.
    CJ is unproven, but he doesn't have to be a standout to make the passing game effective in Detroit.
    On the other hand, if he does turn into the player most people believe he will be, these guys could be nasty.

Fortunately, it takes more than a great passing game to equal wins.
    It didn't for the 2000 Vikings!
    ;D
    OK, now you can slam me! But in a way it's true. But we did have Robert Smith who gains over 1500 yards.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

Those who forget Mike Furrey are doomed to be royally ~messed up~ by him.
    Hmmmm.
    Sure.

Don't forget that.
    No kidding the only difference is that Calvin is bigger than Charles Rogers and Faster than Mike Williams, obviously the lack of those attributes were not their downfall but rather injury, work ethic, character.

Calvin seems to have good character, but a lot can change when you get the paycheck of the #2 overall pick.
    And injuries, well, nobody can predict.
    A lot of WRs struggle with the mental aspect of the NFL as well.
    We can never know how Rogers might have turned out if he didn't keep breaking his collarbones.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

Hmmmm.
    Sure.

Don't forget that.

=Z=
    There are no sure things in the NFL but Calvin Johnson is the closest there is to a sure thing. Barring injuries he will be a great play maker. At 6-5 with a 45" verticle and 4.35 40 I don't think many safeties in the league will be able to cover him one on one.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

Hmmmm.
    Sure.

Don't forget that.

=Z=
    Your right Z...they won't double cover Calvin Johnson because Roy Williams is on the field.
    :
    If they only focus their attention on Roy, than CJ and Furrey are going to have a hell of a season.
    Hell why even bother covering CJ...he is an unproven rookie who has done nothing.
    :

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast