Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Worried about Lions

I agree with the statement the DETROIT WHO :scratch: beside anyone remember the statement something like the Black and Blue Division, those days when, All eyes where on our division due to the enjoyment of the games played within our division, :idea: the Lions have alway had a good Purrrrr but never any real ROAR no worries here :cheers:
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Worried about Lions

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Hey hawaiin I agree with you, If you can't win on the road the best you will EVER be is .500. But remember when we put together a nice road losing streak spanning almost 2 seasons?
    Ya that sucked and it was so reliefing once we beat the saints with dauntes two point conversion. Classic game.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Worried about Lions

From what I have seen of Harrington, I think he will get it together. I could easily be wrong. Rookies don't scare me, but RB's can become really good their rookie year. Just like Parcell's gamble on Jones, we will see. The potential the Lions have put on the table IS scary, but, its not this year. Any team can beat anyone "on a given Sunday" already, but the potential the Lions have is getting (as a vikes fan) ugly. Nice to see you on, Silvermane. I enjoyed your posts, and hope we getta see you around a bit. I admire the fact that your a Lions fan, while they are not so good. I respect true fans, and you HAVE to be one!!!

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Worried about Lions

"silvermane" wrote:
    one reason detroit had such a terrible road record last year is because we ranked near the bottom in the nfl in time of possession. key to winning on the road is to have a shutdown defense that can force the other team's offense off the field. last year the lions didn't have this and other teams controlled the game. it also helps to score early get a good lead and take the crowd out of the game. of course that is easier said than done with some crowds.

with an improved defense this year and an offense that has more weapons i think the lions can end their problems on the road.

As far as your defense, i still see that as a big weak area on your team. I think brock marion on his decline and bryant is only an average CB. While i agree that they will be a better D, you can trust a viking fan to know when a teams D will be bad, since we haven't had a good one in years. I luv shaun rogers, dre bly, and boss, but think teddy lehman was a huge reach. I don't know if teddy is gonna start this year, but i bet if he and dontarrious thomas both start, dontarrious will have a much better year. I think the lions need a few more playmakers on their D, before they can have a good enough D to win consistently on the road.

As far as the lions offense, I like all of your 4 young stars, in harrington, roy williams, charles rogers, and kevin williams. There is just way too much youth. I do think harrington will eventually become a good QB in the NFL, it will take longer than expected, especially since he has 2 extremely young WR's starting. I like kevin jones a lot, since i am a virginia tech fan, but he will take some time before he will shine in the NFL. He got a lot of his rushing yards in college by doing things he won't be able to do in the NFL, with the speed of the NFL's players. The improved lions O-line will help, but it wil take him some time and I wouldn't expect a huge year from him.

The lions are definately a much more talented team on offense and should be improved on D, but they are still a year or 2 away from challenging for the north title. They will however, be a very dangerous team to play nexy season. They will have some games where they explode and look awesome, but they will also have some where they can't do anything and look horrible. I do understand why lions fans are so excited, but I think 8 wins will be a big success for them this season.

silvermane is offline Rookie

Worried about Lions

i have been a detroit lions fan since monte clark was coach and won't ever be anything else! things have been bad these last few seasons but true lions fans remember the good years we had in the 80s and 90s and hang in there.

the lions aren't thinking bryant will be like champ bailey, i think they just hope he won't give up the big plays. bly is the shutdown corner without a doubt. now that barrett green is gone i don't see why lehman would not become a starter this season it just might be later on. the lions lb roster lacks anyone else with the speed and tackling ability of lehman especially on the weak side. but lehman has been working the middle position in practice so i think the coaches are just seeing what he can do, testing his abilities. i don't think he will have an outstanding rookie season. but i do think it won't take him long to become a pro bowl player.

harrington's good qualities get overlooked by a lot of people. he is a smart qb and knows the offense well. his release last year looked a lot quicker than it ever has and i do think he is getting better. he has the physical tools to compete. but his problems are first of all he is not very mobile. he needs to learn to scramble when it becomes necessary. but he was only sacked 9 times last year...i think the lions line is much better at pass protection than they are at run blocking, something i hope improves with bringing in damien woody. harrington's biggest problem of course is his inconsistency. there are times when he is a very accurate qb and times when he makes some of the worst throws i have ever seen. he reads the field pretty well and finds his targets but his timing needs improvement. part of this last year was his receivers though minus rogers. hakim is a great route runner and a decent receiving option but is not the most athletic guy on the team and is unable to beat good coverage and make the catches that rogers can or that williams will this year. charles rogers recovery this year has surprised everybody. he looks fully recovered from his collarbone injury but of course coaches are cautious. he is back to full speed in workouts and has also been working out and adding muscle this off season. he will be the second most productive receiver in the division after moss. also i liked that the lions got tai streets. i had been hoping we would go after him this off season and i think he will make a solid number 3 receiver.

to me it will be a successful season if we sweep the bears, beat indy at thanksgiving, and go at least 8-8 with some of those wins coming on the road.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Worried about Lions

That would be a good season for the lions silvermane. Beating the bears twice would be great!! Are the Bears the lions biggest rivalry just because they are the closest (at least in the division). I know the biggest rivalry for the vikings is the packers. When I met my girlfriend (she's a packer fan) she said that the packers biggest rivalry is the bears, just because they are the closest, but it has now almost turned into a bigger rivalry the pack and the vikings!! I was just wondering.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Worried about Lions

"silvermane" wrote:
    i have been a detroit lions fan since monte clark was coach and won't ever be anything else! things have been bad these last few seasons but true lions fans remember the good years we had in the 80s and 90s and hang in there.

the lions aren't thinking bryant will be like champ bailey, i think they just hope he won't give up the big plays. bly is the shutdown corner without a doubt. now that barrett green is gone i don't see why lehman would not become a starter this season it just might be later on. the lions lb roster lacks anyone else with the speed and tackling ability of lehman especially on the weak side. but lehman has been working the middle position in practice so i think the coaches are just seeing what he can do, testing his abilities. i don't think he will have an outstanding rookie season. but i do think it won't take him long to become a pro bowl player.

harrington's good qualities get overlooked by a lot of people. he is a smart qb and knows the offense well. his release last year looked a lot quicker than it ever has and i do think he is getting better. he has the physical tools to compete. but his problems are first of all he is not very mobile. he needs to learn to scramble when it becomes necessary. but he was only sacked 9 times last year...i think the lions line is much better at pass protection than they are at run blocking, something i hope improves with bringing in damien woody. harrington's biggest problem of course is his inconsistency. there are times when he is a very accurate qb and times when he makes some of the worst throws i have ever seen. he reads the field pretty well and finds his targets but his timing needs improvement. part of this last year was his receivers though minus rogers. hakim is a great route runner and a decent receiving option but is not the most athletic guy on the team and is unable to beat good coverage and make the catches that rogers can or that williams will this year. charles rogers recovery this year has surprised everybody. he looks fully recovered from his collarbone injury but of course coaches are cautious. he is back to full speed in workouts and has also been working out and adding muscle this off season. he will be the second most productive receiver in the division after moss. also i liked that the lions got tai streets. i had been hoping we would go after him this off season and i think he will make a solid number 3 receiver.

to me it will be a successful season if we sweep the bears, beat indy at thanksgiving, and go at least 8-8 with some of those wins coming on the road.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you about lehman. I don't think he will ever be a pro bowl LB. IMO, he will be a bust, average at best in the NFL.

What I don't get is why is the bears/packers rivalry is supose to be so big. To me it seems like the packers/vikes rivalry has surpassed it, yet the packers/bears is always talked about as one of, if not, the biggest rivals in the NFL and sports.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Worried about Lions

Hey, the Lions had us beat as demonstrated in the photo here a game or so back; they just have a hard time with consistency. Raw talent is there in pockets, and Mooch may surprise everyone...

Still, no higher than 3rd this year. Potential to beat the misfit hogblowers in Wisconsing though.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Worried about Lions

:shock: :3some: thats quite the picture webby!

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Worried about Lions

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    What I don't get is why is the bears/packers rivalry is supose to be so big. To me it seems like the packers/vikes rivalry has surpassed it, yet the packers/bears is always talked about as one of, if not, the biggest rivals in the NFL and sports.
    THe Packers/Vikes has surpassed it but only in the last 10 years when both teams have gotten to be so competitive at the same time. You have to remember the Bears Packers rivalry goes back about 80 years and was in its prime before the Vikings were even a team. It's the oldest rivalry in the NFL. Now that the Packers have been dominating the Bears we have become a much more exciting rival, something people are starting to recognize.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast