Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Re:Woodson named NFL Defensive Player of the Year

When Vikings fans state that Cedric Griffin and his six passes defenced and four picks is a good cornerback, I look at Woodson's 18 passes defenced and nine picks, and I laugh. When I look at how Griffin compares to Darrelle Revis and his 31 passes defenced and six picks along with the list of A-List receivers he has shut down, I laugh harder.

Revis is a shutdown corner in an era without shutdown corners. Woodson attacks and attacks and makes offenses pay to play. Either could have been DPotY.

green hornet is offline Starter

If Revis could catch a ball he would have won. I watched at least 5 jets games this year and every time he had a chance to make a pick, the ball bounce off his hands like they were brick.

Mr Anderson wrote:
    Rockmolder wrote:
    Primarily zone coverage guy.

Got completely owned on Sunday.

It's good to see that purple vision is alive and well even when talking about awards.
    Are either of those things untrue?

And the purple vision isn't on, Revis should have won. He was the best defensive player this season. If he got thrown at a third of the times Woodson did I'm he'd have the stats too.

duvaldomo is offline Coach

Minniman wrote:
    When Vikings fans state that Cedric Griffin and his six passes defenced and four picks is a good cornerback, I look at Woodson's 18 passes defenced and nine picks, and I laugh. When I look at how Griffin compares to Darrelle Revis and his 31 passes defenced and six picks along with the list of A-List receivers he has shut down, I laugh harder.

Revis is a shutdown corner in an era without shutdown corners. Woodson attacks and attacks and makes offenses pay to play. Either could have been DPotY.

I dont think anyone here thinks griffin had a mvp year.. Which it looks like you are refering to since you compared him to mvp players. However I think he did have a improved year from his previous years. Plus cover 2 really isnt for stats in that sort. I do think griffin should move back to safety though to replace Williams and we draft a CB early in the draft.

Back on topic I think Woodson had a great year but I think Revis should have won DPoy

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I actually think they got this one right. You can make a really strong case for Revis, who I think is the better cornerback, but Woodson is the D player of the year thanks to the touchdowns and turnovers.
    We're bringing purple back.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

duvaldomo wrote:
    Minniman wrote:

I dont think anyone here thinks griffin had a mvp year.. Which it looks like you are refering to since you compared him to mvp players. However I think he did have a improved year from his previous years.
    Improved from barely good enough to serviceable is not great. Six passes defenced for a starting cornerback is not great.

Plus cover 2 really isnt for stats in that sort.
    I disagree; the Cover 2/Tampa 2 allows for many passes defenced. Ronde Barber had 10-17 passes defenced almost every season under the Tampa 2. Woodson has often played in a zone - even with the 3-4.

Even Griffin had 14 and 10 passes defended in the last two seasons. Has he really played better this year? I do not think so.

Either the player has to be able to play closer, the coaching has to allow him to, or both.

Cedric Griffin had 78, 91, and 92 tackles in the past three seasons. That means teams are willing to throw his way, and he does not often play the ball. Some of it is run support, but he needs to turn a dozen of those tackles into passes defenced, and he needs to hang on to picks that are on the hands or on the numbers.

I do think griffin should move back to safety though to replace Williams and we draft a CB early in the draft.
    I do not know if it is ball skills or coaching for Griffin. Darren Sharper is a ball hawk when allowed to read and react, but the scheme run by Frazier has defenders playing off.

Back on topic I think Woodson had a great year but I think Revis should have won DPoy
    31 passes defenced and shut down of Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, and Steve Smith (CAR). That is pretty good stuff.

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12