Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Woodson named NFL Defensive Player of the Year

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/01/12/defense.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

Packers' Woodson named NFL Defensive Player of the Year
    Posted: Tuesday January 12, 2010 10:25AM; Updated: Tuesday January 12, 2010 10:53AM

NEW YORK (AP) -- In his own view, Charles Woodson put together his best pro season in 2009. How appropriate, then, that he is The Associated Press 2009 NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

The versatile Woodson tied for the league lead with nine interceptions, returning three for touchdowns, and was a key to the Packers' turnaround on defense. His role in Green Bay's ranking second in overall defense, first in interceptions (30), takeaways (40) and turnover margin (plus-24) earned Woodson 28 votes Tuesday from a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL.
    I'm sure he'll enjoy that award while sitting in front of the TV this weekend.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Woodson named NFL Defensive Player of the Year

This is completely ridiculous.

Peyton Manning won the MVP with inferior statistics to a couple of players because of his statistically intangible impact on his team.

So how on Earth can a now primarily zone coverage cornerback, who got completely owned on Sunday, with pretty stats going to beat out a guy who shut down everyone who came up against him all season?

Darelle Revis was hands down the best defensive player of 2009.

However, despite his dominance, I don't know if it's fair for a cornerback to win, ever.

Nnamdi Asomughawas undoubtedly the most dominant defensive player of 2007 and 2008.

By the voting standards whoever votes for this award showed last season, Jared Allen should have won the award. Revis had my vote. But I guess if there's no Cowboys or Steelers in the running the Packer is the hands down choice.

Primarily zone coverage guy.

Got completely owned on Sunday.

It's good to see that purple vision is alive and well even when talking about awards.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Rockmolder wrote:

It's good to see that purple vision is alive and well even when talking about awards.
    Are either of those things untrue?

And the purple vision isn't on, Revis should have won. He was the best defensive player this season. If he got thrown at a third of the times Woodson did I'm he'd have the stats too.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsaEfFHSheE

Mr Anderson wrote:
    Rockmolder wrote:

And the purple vision isn't on, Revis should have won. He was the best defensive player this season. If he got thrown at a third of the times Woodson did I'm he'd have the stats too.
    Yes. They both are.

First of all, when he plays corner, he's in man as much, if not more, than in zone. When he plays safety, he often plays the robber. Or deep zone. Or shallow zone. Then he lines up as half a LB and plays the run and blitzes.

I'm pretty sure that Revis doesn't do all that. Revis deserves CB of the Year. Not DPotY.

Secondly, when Woodson was in coverage on Fitzgerald, he didn't give up one legal catch. I mean, c'mon, Fitz runs a streak, makes an in cut after 10 yards, running right into Woodson who's standing there, throws him to the ground that way and then makes an out cut and catches the TD. How is that not offensive pass interference? I call bullshit.

And teams have been avoiding Woodson, as well. It just gets hard when the man is all over the field. There have been enough weeks when the ball was aimed at Tramon Williams and Jarrett Bush the entire game long. Thing is, we move Charles around. When the TE is lighting us up, we put him on the TE. When the TE or nr. 2 WR is lighting the Jets up, they keep him on the nr. 1 WR, anyway.

Give Charles a chance to play a receiver like Rice or Fitzgerald all game long, without a blitz and without changing his man all game long and I'm sure that his stats will rival those of Revis.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Congratulations packer nation, I thought Woodson had a hell of a year. Whether he was the best defensive player or not is up for debate, but then again, these awards always are.

9 INT's with 3 returned for TD's is a pretty impressive season. Sharper had this as well I believe. Revis was the shut down corner of the year, which is a very rare skill and a large part of the Jets success this year. Dumervil and Allen were sack monsters, but Allen was a bit low this year for DPOY and Elvis ended up on a team that had a late season skid. If it was defensive MVP vs. DPOY, then maybe Revis moves up a bit, but in the end voters seem to always move towards stats.

All that being said, Woodson had a hell of a year and I don't have a problem with him getting the award. Other than the fact he's a packer that is.

Rockmolder wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Rockmolder wrote:

Yes. They both are.

First of all, when he plays corner, he's in man as much, if not more, than in zone. When he plays safety, he often plays the robber. Or deep zone. Or shallow zone. Then he lines up as half a LB and plays the run and blitzes.

I'm pretty sure that Revis doesn't do all that. Revis deserves CB of the Year. Not DPotY.

Secondly, when Woodson was in coverage on Fitzgerald, he didn't give up one legal catch. I mean, c'mon, Fitz runs a streak, makes an in cut after 10 yards, running right into Woodson who's standing there, throws him to the ground that way and then makes an out cut and catches the TD. How is that not offensive pass interference? I call bullshit.

And teams have been avoiding Woodson, as well. It just gets hard when the man is all over the field. There have been enough weeks when the ball was aimed at Tramon Williams and Jarrett Bush the entire game long. Thing is, we move Charles around. When the TE is lighting us up, we put him on the TE. When the TE or nr. 2 WR is lighting the Jets up, they keep him on the nr. 1 WR, anyway.

Give Charles a chance to play a receiver like Rice or Fitzgerald all game long, without a blitz and without changing his man all game long and I'm sure that his stats will rival those of Revis.
    By that logic, Leon Washington should have won MVP last season because he returns kicks, plays running back, and wide receiver. And led the league in all purpose yards. Not a perfect analogy, but you know what I mean.

I don't know the percentages, and obviously you watch more of the Packers than I do, but I know Capers' corners play a lot of zone. Maybe I shouldn't have said primarily, but that doesn't change the fact that Revis plays man almost exclusively.

And wasn't Woodson a man coverage, press corner for his entire Packers career prior to this season? - Why has he never had a season like Revis if he could?

No one is lighting up the Jets, they were the #1 pass defense. Although if the #2WR was lighting them up, it wouldn't hurt Revis' chance at the award.

Revis is the superior player, he had a better season, he should have won or no corner should have won.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

I believe Woodson was very deserving of winning this award, and if you had asked me before it was announced, I would have said it would probably come down to Woodson, Revis, and Sharper. Had Sharper stayed healthy, he might well have taken it. Woodson winning is all the more impressive when you consider how many games the Packers played without Al Harris at the other CB spot. Teams still threw Woodson's way, and he often made them pay.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Congrats to Woodson.

I've always been a Woodson fan even when he was in prison with the Raiders.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast