Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Woman says she was raped at Jets DB Kerry Rhodes' home

Good, I look forward to watching that Jets defense this year.

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

"singersp" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "JPPT1974" wrote:
    Dogs is one thing but rape is a whole new ballgame.
    I realize rape is a different ball game, it's a class A felony with an average sentence of 10 years, doubt anyone could come back after even 5.

That's why I downgraded it, like a majority of rape allegations do, to sexual assult class b/c in most states, which has a average sentence of 2 years.
    Thus, trying to keep the level of the crime close, just the nature being different.

Thus, I pose the question again should a NFL player found guilty of sexual assault be allowed back in the NFL?
    Well you can kill a person & still play football ala Ravens' Ray Lewis if you just squeal like a pig.

Or you can rape a woman & still play football ala Packers' James Lofton.

Check to see what happened to other Packers' rapists, Eddie Lee Ivory, John Jefferson, Mossy Cade & Mark Chmura. I know Cade saw time in jail, but don't know if he ever played again.
    And what about Nick Barnett... didn't he beat some chick at a bar in wisconsin?

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "JPPT1974" wrote:
    I realize rape is a different ball game, it's a class A felony with an average sentence of 10 years, doubt anyone could come back after even 5.

That's why I downgraded it, like a majority of rape allegations do, to sexual assult class b/c in most states, which has a average sentence of 2 years.
    Thus, trying to keep the level of the crime close, just the nature being different.

Thus, I pose the question again should a NFL player found guilty of sexual assault be allowed back in the NFL?
    Well you can kill a person & still play football ala Ravens' Ray Lewis if you just squeal like a pig.

Check to see what happened to other Packers' rapists, Eddie Lee Ivory, John Jefferson, Mossy Cade & Mark Chmura. I know Cade saw time in jail, but don't know if he ever played again.
    Ray Lewis was a misdemeanor, not murder.
    Lofton was acquitted.
    Ivery was never charged.
    Chmura was tried but found not guilty of all charges.
    ALL of these examples don't apply as none were found guilty of a felony.

Cade was convicted in 1987 of two counts of second degree sexual assault served 15 months in jail. Upon release, he was signed by the Minnesota Vikings but was quickly released after public outcry over his signing.
    Cade served similar time as Vick and I don't know what the CBA was back in 1987 and what ability the Commish had in preventing Cade from playing.
    But I am happy to see that public opinion was the factor that prevented him from ever playing again.
    I can only hope if Goodell is a wimp the public will do the same for Vick.

Please, feel free to find a player that was convicted of a violent felony that played in the NFL.
    I can't and I hope I never will.

[size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

"gagarr" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "JPPT1974" wrote:

Lofton was acquitted.
    Ivery was never charged.

Cade was convicted in 1987 of two counts of second degree sexual assault served 15 months in jail. Upon release, he was signed by the Minnesota Vikings but was quickly released after public outcry over his signing.
    Cade served similar time as Vick and I don't know what the CBA was back in 1987 and what ability the Commish had in preventing Cade from playing.
    But I am happy to see that public opinion was the factor that prevented him from ever playing again.

Please, feel free to find a player that was convicted of a violent felony that played in the NFL.

Lewis plead guilty to a misdemeanor and cooperated with the prosecution(or as singer so elegantly put it 'squealing like a pig') to avoid a murder charge.

From what I read in the case facts, it's not clear that he was involved in the fight that left a man dead or if he was attempting to be a peacemaker... regardless, the past is the past.

Ricky Manning Jr was guilty of 2 assault charges.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"Mr" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "JPPT1974" wrote:

Lofton was acquitted.
    Ivery was never charged.

Lewis plead guilty to a misdemeanor and cooperated with the prosecution(or as singer so elegantly put it 'squealing like a pig') to avoid a murder charge.

From what I read in the case facts, it's not clear that he was involved in the fight that left a man dead or if he was attempting to be a peacemaker... regardless, the past is the past.

Thanks for pointing out Ricky Manning, you are right it was a charge of felony assualt.
    But technically he wasn't guilty, as he pleaded "no contest", which is basically a way of Ricky never to be in a court room and to cut a deal.
    If the prosecution had enough for a jury conviction, they wouldn't have agreed to probation.

I'm still trying to find a case similar to Vicks, where the guy either pleaded or was found guilty of a violent crime that resulted in at least a years jail time, but still played in the NFL.
    The Mossy Cade is the closest.

If Goodell does allow Vick to play again, without further suspension, he's setting a awful precedence.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

"gagarr" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    [quote author=JPPT1974 link=topic=51989.msg951697#msg951697 date=1243313023]

Lofton was acquitted.
    Ivery was never charged.

Thanks for pointing out Ricky Manning, you are right it was a charge of felony assualt.
    But technically he wasn't guilty, as he pleaded "no contest", which is basically a way of Ricky never to be in a court room and to cut a deal.
    If the prosecution had enough for a jury conviction, they wouldn't have agreed to probation.

I'm still trying to find a case similar to Vicks, where the guy either pleaded or was found guilty of a violent crime that resulted in at least a years jail time, but still played in the NFL.
    The Mossy Cade is the closest.

If Goodell does allow Vick to play again, without further suspension, he's setting a awful precedence.
    [/quote]
    Technically Vick did not commit an unprecedented violent crime. He killed dogs. There have been other players with animal cruelty charges. John Babineaux had an animal cruelty charge for killing his girlfriend's dog. Vick's crime was certainly on a greater scale, but his offenses that earned him the hard time was the interstate gambling, racketeering, and federal dog fighting charges.

I think Vick deserves a second shot more than most of the players who've been charged in the past and got off on fame.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12