Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Willie Anderson Cut

"FuadFan" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:
    "lukeshkin" wrote:
    well said Mr Anderson
    So both of you think this staff that has focused on younger players since it entered would sign a 33 year old player NOW? They don't panic that much they knew this was coming and Hicks is their guy.
    I'm not even considering age in this equation.

I'm looking at ability and experience.

Artis Hicks is a guard, and not a very good one at that. Why would the coaches not be worried that he's now playing out of position, a position that is more difficult to play as well.

Willie Anderson has been a pretty damn good tackle his whole career. He may be old, but I don't care, look at Chris Samuels. We only need to get 4 games out of the guy anyway.

I don't believe they're not concerned. And if they really aren't, they should be.
    You're still not answering the question I am asking. Even if you don't want to factor it our staff since Childress became the coach added all of one older player (Tony Richardson) during its run so I'd say they do factor it which is what I'm asking you about.

Artis Hicks was our top backup at LT last year and they were fine with it then and if you have problems with a guy being out of position why do you want a right tackle, what would he know about playing on the left side of an O-line?
    I don't really think the tendency for the staff to not add older players really means anything. If we pick up Anderson it will practically be a rental. He'll play the 4 games, and fill the backup role the rest of the year, then he'll be gone.

And in response to your last question: Because it's a lot easier to simply switch sides of the line you play on than it is to move positions.

Willie Anderson has been playing against the outside rush for his entire career. Artis Hicks is an interior lineman, having played both positions myself(obviously not at the same level these two have) I can tell you that it is completely different, especially in pass protection.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"V4L" wrote:
    He is so slow
    I bet that was the reason he only made 5 pro bowls. He was cut because he would not take a pay cut.

"FuadFan" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:
    "lukeshkin" wrote:
    well said Mr Anderson
    So both of you think this staff that has focused on younger players since it entered would sign a 33 year old player NOW? They don't panic that much they knew this was coming and Hicks is their guy.

Artis Hicks is a guard, and not a very good one at that. Why would the coaches not be worried that he's now playing out of position, a position that is more difficult to play as well.

Willie Anderson has been a pretty damn good tackle his whole career. He may be old, but I don't care, look at Chris Samuels. We only need to get 4 games out of the guy anyway.

I don't believe they're not concerned. And if they really aren't, they should be.
    You're still not answering the question I am asking. Even if you don't want to factor it our staff since Childress became the coach added all of one older player (Tony Richardson) during its run so I'd say they do factor it which is what I'm asking you about.

Artis Hicks was our top backup at LT last year and they were fine with it then and if you have problems with a guy being out of position why do you want a right tackle, what would he know about playing on the left side of an O-line?
    Anderson would be a quick fix not a long term solution. There is a big difference. I have no doubt that our #1 pick next year will be a OT.

"FuadFan" wrote:
    Willie is a RIGHT tackle not left I seriously doubt our staff would add him to the opposite side that he is used to. Also they prefer younger guys they won't add a 33 year old this at this point.
    I don't believe too much in that left side, right side mumbo jumbo. It makes sense and would be a smart move IMO.

saw some time on left side
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/NFL+Features/2006/scouts2119.htm

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Do we dare cut another player to make way for Anderson or can Hicks do the job. Guess we'll see won't we.
    Naufahu Tahi or Husain Abdullah sounds good to me.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Not happening so its a moot point

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Garland" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:
    Willie is a RIGHT tackle not left I seriously doubt our staff would add him to the opposite side that he is used to. Also they prefer younger guys they won't add a 33 year old this at this point.
    And Hicks is a guard.

I think he's worth a giving a shot to.
    Of the players I have seen released he would make the most sense to pick up. Yes he is a RT but he is better than Cook also. Having another Solid Vet on the Line is only going to help this team no matter where he plays. I am normally not a fan of the Player X was released lets pick him up but thsi one does make the most sense. OL needs some more Veterran leadership right now and Lets face it COOK IS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!
    Comeon my friend.
    Absolutely horrible?

Someone please pull of the thread that had the stats from last year were it showed how the right side did with Cook/Hicks compared to Cook/Herrera.

If memory serves the once collegiate C who was shoved in at RT didn't play that damn bad especially when you compare the yardage (I think it was only about 1 yard per carry difference or something like that) per carry on the ground.

Absolutely horrible indeed.
    No way they give up on Cook for this guy.
    As to his ability to step in for Mac, I am not so sure he would/could do that either.

He is a RT for a reason.
    Mostly because of footspeed/hand placement and agility/mobility.
    Taking those physical limitations into account along with the fact that he hasn't even taken one snap in a ZB scheme and he hasn't played LT in what 12 years, I don't see the staff freaking out and giving the 3-6 mill he will want.

Nope, we will pass on Willie, take what we have through the 4 game suspension, tie a TE to Hicks ass for every play and run a two gaurd set on the left side for 4 games.

Should be good enough against the 4 RDEs we have to face in that time frame.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Yeah, he'll most likely get a better offer ($$$ and playing time) somewhere else...he'd be in a competition here for starter anywhere on our OL.
    Most likely, it would take him some time to learn our hybrid system, and we may be better off sticking with the guy who has the reps there.
    Then there is those knees with 340 pounds on them all day every day every play.
    Off hand, I'm thinking CHI and DET could both use a vet OT...D'oh!

And, similar to the QB situation, even if he was an upgrade at RT, it would take experience away from the guy they drafted to be the future there.

But, somehow, knowing the above still doesn't make Hicks sound like a better starter for those four games Mac is out.

If we're talking RT to LT...why wouldn't we think about giving Marcus Johnson a chance over there?
    Or Cook with MJ at RT?
    Dang, the experience points back to Hicks, don't it?

Here's some info...the penalties by player list

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats;jsessionid=A0923C52C1E37A34DB77C6ADB 564CC6E?archive=false&seasonType=PRE&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&statisticCategory=TOTAL_YARDS& d-447263-s=PENALTIES_TOTAL&experience=null&d-447263-n=1&season=2008&Submit=Go&qualified=false&tabSeq=0 &d-447263-p=1

Birk and Herrera have two each.
    Cook has one.
    None for McKinnie.

Evans and Guion got two each too.
    One for Allen.
    As I recall, most of those are presnaps...that needs to go down!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

"Mr" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:
    "lukeshkin" wrote:
    well said Mr Anderson

I don't really think the tendency for the staff to not add older players really means anything. If we pick up Anderson it will practically be a rental. He'll play the 4 games, and fill the backup role the rest of the year, then he'll be gone.

And in response to your last question: Because it's a lot easier to simply switch sides of the line you play on than it is to move positions.

Willie Anderson has been playing against the outside rush for his entire career. Artis Hicks is an interior lineman, having played both positions myself(obviously not at the same level these two have) I can tell you that it is completely different, especially in pass protection.
    Actually Hicks has more experience at LT then you think

http://min.scout.com/2/784736.html

Also worked there throughout college though you'll no doubt disagree with what else they say

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2002/draft/players/99651.html

Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:
    And Hicks is a guard.

I think he's worth a giving a shot to.
    Of the players I have seen released he would make the most sense to pick up. Yes he is a RT but he is better than Cook also. Having another Solid Vet on the Line is only going to help this team no matter where he plays. I am normally not a fan of the Player X was released lets pick him up but thsi one does make the most sense. OL needs some more Veterran leadership right now and Lets face it COOK IS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!
    Comeon my friend.
    Absolutely horrible?

Someone please pull of the thread that had the stats from last year were it showed how the right side did with Cook/Hicks compared to Cook/Herrera.

If memory serves the once collegiate C who was shoved in at RT didn't play that damn bad especially when you compare the yardage (I think it was only about 1 yard per carry difference or something like that) per carry on the ground.

Absolutely horrible indeed.
    No way they give up on Cook for this guy.
    As to his ability to step in for Mac, I am not so sure he would/could do that either.

He is a RT for a reason.
    Mostly because of footspeed/hand placement and agility/mobility.
    Taking those physical limitations into account along with the fact that he hasn't even taken one snap in a ZB scheme and he hasn't played LT in what 12 years, I don't see the staff freaking out and giving the 3-6 mill he will want.

Nope, we will pass on Willie, take what we have through the 4 game suspension, tie a TE to Hicks ass for every play and run a two gaurd set on the left side for 4 games.

Should be good enough against the 4 RDEs we have to face in that time frame.

;D
    Have to disagree Marr Cook is Horrible at RT. One reason he played Center especially at his size was because he needs to have
    people playing on the side of him. Another reason why they put a TE Next to him. he can't block. I don't want to give up on Cook. I was actually hoping he could move back to Center where I think he can be solid but. Having played both Center and Tackle in HS and College I can say there is a huge difference between moving from T to C Like I did, than from C to T. The main reason being is the footwork and technique. Cook does not have it at Tackle. If we put a TE on Hicks side it wil totally expose our Right side. I really like Herrera but having him next to Cook is a very bad idea. I would love tio have him next to Anderson. A Solid veteran on the OL is exactly what this team needs. Remember everyone is so up on letting TJack develop. So how can not putting a veteran OL in front of him not do anything but help him?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast