Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Will we see unorthodox tactics in the NFL this year ?

"DustinDupont" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I kindof lump that into "Trick Plays".

Not a big fan of them.
    Kindof think of it along the lines of Slash, if we need to make a catch we should put a WR on the field and not a QB.
    I actually really like trick plays... im not saying run like 5 a game but one or two would be nice.... I think when u insert a trick play into the offense it gets the who team fired up... and remember during are winning streak during the season we had at least ran one trick play... it just helps keep the defense off balance not knowing what they offense could do...

But the one game we didnt run a trick play was the Redskins game... and i was calling for one because one big play could of really helped us out...

So i say, you put a trick play in every week and if u think the play we bet the defense there running, run the play and see what can happen
    We did run a few last year didn't we.

Trick plays just piss teams off IMHO.
    ;D

I would rather just beat a team by running it down thier throat all day or with dinks and dunks, or a combination of the two.

Eat up the clock, keep possesion, wear thier D down and just flat out demoralize them.

Nothing like a good old fashioned beat down.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

I too like a good old fashioned beat down.
    So in saying that, I would like to see us go for it more often on 4th and short rather than punt.
    Ram it down the D and pick up first down.
    That is demoralizing to the opposition.

I like trick plays on occassion, but a couple a year is good enough for me.
    I would like to see us fake kick, or onside kick on occassion, especially if our D looks as good on the field as it does on paper.

However, trick plays need to be practiced, and everyone needs to look smart and sell it.
    Not like the Randy Moss incident a few years ago on the fake kick.....wow....talk about a fiasco.

pepper 0n moss is offline Pro-Bowler

we should run this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1YnnnnyMjCw

HAH, just kidding. smart play, but very cheap. i'd castrate the other coach if i was the coach of the team that got fooled. then again, i'd teach my players to have more discipline than that, and to kill the QB at the slightest movement of the ball.

"NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    I too like a good old fashioned beat down.
    So in saying that, I would like to see us go for it more often on 4th and short rather than punt.
    Ram it down the D and pick up first down.
    That is demoralizing to the opposition.
    I definately agree the Vikes (and other teams that want to win) should be going for it more often on 4th and short.
    Too many punts that net 15-20 yards, even though Kluwe did an amazing job getting the ball inside the 20 last year.
    I would consider this unorthodox because coaches don't do it right now, even though statistically it is clearly the right decision in most cases.

I like trick plays on occassion, but a couple a year is good enough for me.
    I would like to see us fake kick, or onside kick on occassion, especially if our D looks as good on the field as it does on paper.
    I agree with this too.
    I thought the coaching staff did a pretty good job of mixing those in last year.
    Several unexpected onside kicks (that happened to work), some fake kicks... good stuff.

However, trick plays need to be practiced, and everyone needs to look smart and sell it.
    Not like the Randy Moss incident a few years ago on the fake kick.....wow....talk about a fiasco.
    Definately true.
    If they had enough practice time, I'd like to see the hook-and-ladder a lot more.
    Get the receivers good at seeing the defenders and pitching it back to another player running the other way when it was available.
    Kind of like a downfield option play.
    I'd run it 5-10 times/game if it were up to me and there were enough practice time.
    That would keep the defenders on their toes.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I read an article recently about unorthodox tactics being used in pro baseball (example: taking a pitcher out of a game, by putting him in right field, to then re-insert him later in the same game at pitcher, etc.).

It just got me thinking: will we see this in the NFL this year ? For instance, using two QBs in one game, more option passes by running backs ?

A related topic: is the NFL too conservative ? Do they need to open the game up more and just have more fun and try stuff like this ?
    Congrats on predicting all the wildcat offense in the league StillPurple!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Trick plays are a really good idea, especially if the old-timers are playing against the 7th graders.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Prophet" wrote:
    Trick plays are a really good idea, especially if the old-timers are playing against the 7th graders.
    So, you've joined a few pickup games at the middle school?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    ....it was then, when I was dying for a beer and coughing up lung cookies, that I realized there is a time and place for a trick play.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    I heard that visiting teams would have a bunch of pizzas delivered to the stadium, then the home team would have to answer the door... at which time the visiting team would run a play. It's fact.
    Did the rest of you miss this post or just not find it as funny as I did?

And don't do that in detriot, they couldn't afford the bill
    We're bringing purple back.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Prophet" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    ....it was then, when I was dying for a beer and coughing up lung cookies, that I realized there is a time and place for a trick play.
    lol

(cue dramatic comeback music)
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123