Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Will the Saints ever return

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Sadly, I think that the Saints will end up moving to LA. It has to be a team according to the Commish who wants a team in LA. I my be a little selfish here in the face of disaster, but I am glad it is not the Vikes.

I do not like any other teams...most of you know I do not have 2nd favorites. But, I have always liked the underdogs. I have kinda always pulled for the Saints in the past because I like to see teams win that really have not done much in their lifetime.
    I certainly don't see them back in NO after this, the state struggled before with the money that was being paid out and with all that needs to be done they won't be able to justify this spending on a sports team. Not sure that they will end up in LA for definite but there could be a tug-of-war between LA and San Antonio for them. Having said that I think its likely that the NFL would say LA only if they want a move approved. If they do move then the name and colours should stay with the city of NO as both are closely connected with the area and wouldn't be right to be taking outside of the area.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Del Rio Guest

Pistol Pete that's all you need to know about N.O. and Utah.

Prophet Guest

They are assessing the damages at the Superdome and said an official announcement will be made within a few months regarding refurbishing or tearing down the Superdome.

Personally, I doubt they will continue to use the Superdome, there was already talk of building a new stadium before this all happened.

Benson is the evil twin of McCombs. He does have more ties to Nawlins than Redneck had to the Twin Cities but I trust him as much as I trusted Redneck. That is the wildcard.

I do not think they will move to LA. My guess is they will either stay in Nawlins after a hiatus or possible be moved to San Antonio. I'm banking on them stayin in Louisiana or the Gulf Coast.

The Saints are getting screwed this year and this results in the Vikings getting screwed too, as well as other NFC teams due to some teams getting more home games. All the Saints 'home' games will have to be played somewhere else, hopefully they will be able to play at LSU's stadium in Baton Rouge.

Prophet Guest

Some excerpts from profootballtalk.com:

Former Vikings owner Red McCombs said this week that San Antonio has a "great opportunity" to land the Saints permanently; hopefully, some of the New Orleans residents who evacuated to San Antonio will have a "great opportunity" to kick Red square in the ass.

Red also thinks that Houston owner Bob McNair and Dallas owner Jerry Jones would not try to block Saints owner Tom Benson from creating a Texas Triangle of NFL franchises.

The NFL has ruled out forcing the Saints to play their division games on the road(probably because the league realizes that the folks in Atlanta, Tampa, and Carolina won't be inclined to pay to see the home team play the same team twice in the same year).

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello says that the goal is to play the Saints games in Baton Rouge.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

One place that is being over looked is Las Vegas, or better known as lost wages!

They have a stadium, and it would be a great venue for a NFL franchise!

I think the league would be concerned about the gambling aspect, but gambling has expanded in the US so much what is the difference?

I think the NFL will not allow them to move to LA because of the $750,000,000.00 dollar franchise fee they want from LA.

And if the Saints move they are going to look bad if they charge him a relocation fee that is normally $250,000,000.00
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

I personaly believe the Federal Government will pony up the money for a new stadium just outside of New Orleans. They will rebuild this area and the Saints will be part of it. With a new state of the art stadium and the revenues that come with them the state will no longer need to subsidize the ball club.

could happen.
    I.B.O.T. #213

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"sunny" wrote:
    I personaly believe the Federal Government will pony up the money for a new stadium just outside of New Orleans. They will rebuild this area and the Saints will be part of it. With a new state of the art stadium and the revenues that come with them the state will no longer need to subsidize the ball club.

could happen.
    I highly doubt that. Not to get too political, but that is more on the lines of state and local governments tax dollars....not federal.

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

Ultra, The Feds are already talking about giving 100billion in aid to the area. 500mill is only .5% of that and would garuntee jobs and a reason for people to come back. After watching what they blew money on after the floods in Grand Forks, ND nothing will surprise me.
    I.B.O.T. #213

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "DemonicViking" wrote:
    LA Clippers..

Where did they get that? Sounds like their team consists of barbers.
    It was originally the SAN DIEGO Clippers (as in ships)...they had changed their name after they moved from Buffalo (where they were known as the Braves). At least they didn't keep that nickname, which would be another one that would be offensive to Native Americans.
    nah... just a yankees fan that doesn't like the name 'Braves' :grin:
    I have NO problem with the ATLANTA Braves...if that is what you are alluding to...because they are the ultimate LOSERS...all those trips to the playoffs and only ONE ring to show for it! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"sunny" wrote:
    Ultra, The Feds are already talking about giving 100billion in aid to the area. 500mill is only .5% of that and would garuntee jobs and a reason for people to come back. After watching what they blew money on after the floods in Grand Forks, ND nothing will surprise me.
    100 billion is a lot of dough, but what would people say if they spent 500 million on a stadium when there will be homeless and less fortunate individuals? I am not saying it is right or wrong, but politicians will go with the choice that will appear favorable.

Really, it would not be a bad idea in some sense. It may help revitalize their economy and provide jobs and local tax revenue.

Remember though, you will have a ton of people complaining that a new stadium does not really help anybody out but the Saints and that their tax dollars are being wasted.

I know tax dollars are already wasted in a lot of areas, but this is just an example.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast