Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jilly is offline Coach

Re: Why are we forced to watch the Lions every Thanksgiving?

yeah, today's game was pretty bad. I find myself feeling sorry for the Lions...its just sad and pathetic.

I don't mind the Lions playing Thanksgiving day because its nice when the Vikes ocassionally get to play, although it seems like it has been a very long time since we played on Turkey day.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

No one complained last year when they were 6-4 and competitive.
    We're bringing purple back.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"marstc09" wrote:
    There were like no fans in the stadium during the 4th qtr.
    detroit has fans?
    I figured they were all titans fans.

on a side note, those unis they wore were awful.... just terrible.
    they looked like high school unis

Having that team around to watch, reminds us vikings fan just how bad we could be. Suddenly, all the vikings flaws aren't quite as bad.
    The ribbon is the 'Gulf War Ribbon'.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

-I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -$10 covers spaghetti, salad and bread.
    -Anoka American Legion.

TxViking is offline Waterboy

Well it is their field and I didn't see anyone turn my TV on...

I remember when it was always the Vikes at Detroit on Thanksgiving, in the snow and mud...

davike is offline Team Alumni

I personally find them amusing.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    I agree... has to be one of the worst traditions in all of sports.
    I find it funny, the fan's don't even care that the lions get blown out, they just accept it, then there's us, someone makes a wrong cut and there's a stadium full of boos
    Even though Ford Field was only about 1/4 by the end (and most of them were Titans fans), you could still hear the booing loud and clear there.
    Don't forget, the Lions fans are the ones that once organized an "Orange out" against the Bengals a couple of years ago.

As a means of protest, The Lions Fanatics are asking fans to wear the color orange to the December 18, 2005 Detroit Lions’ home game.
    Wearing the color orange serves two purposes.

First, the color is highly distinct and will not be confused with the Detroit Lions’ team color in an effort to maximize visibility.
    Second, the color orange is one of the team colors of the Detroit Lions’ December 18th opponent, the Cincinnati Bengals.
    I think the fans (at least the ones they have left) are every bit as quick to complain and boo as we are.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I am kindof a supporter of all things traditional, however, there are some exceptions.
    Maybe it is time for the Lions on T-day to become one of them or atleast their game get moved to the late game on NFLN.

As to the games yesterday, like the first one, all three were pretty much stinkers.
    Hate watching lopsided games.

Quick question, who do you guys blame for the current team we call the Lions?
    The HC or the GM?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Although I will agree that this year's Detroit game was a joke, I don't know what I think about them losing it.
    The Thanksgiving Classic has been played in Detroit since 1934, missing only a total of 5 games from 39-44 (due to WWII in 41-44, and Roosevelt in 39 and 40 - see below)

FYI, here are some interesting facts I found regarding the game form http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_Classic

* The AFC has never hosted a NFL Thanksgiving classic (although before the merger there was an AFL game as well)
    * Until 2007, there were only two games - one hosted by Dallas, one by Detroit.
    Now there is a third Thanksgiving game that rotates, but is still hosted by an NFL team.
    * There is always one NFC-NFC match up, and one AFC-NFC match up on broadcast television, to satisfy television contracts.
    The game on NFLN can be with AFC-NFC or NFC-NFC (it was Indy at Atl in 2007, and Arz at Philly in 2008)
    * The first owner of the Lions, G.A. Richards, started the tradition of the Thanksgiving Day game as a gimmick to get people to go to Lions football games
    * It is widely rumored that the Cowboys sought a guarantee that they would regularly host Thanksgiving games as a condition of their very first one
    * In 1939 and 1940, during the Franksgiving controversy, the only two teams to play the game were the Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles, as both teams were in the same state (Pennsylvania); at the time, then-president Franklin Roosevelt wanted to move the holiday purely for economic reasons and many states were resistant to the move, which would have complicated scheduling for the game.
    * In the 1976 Thanksgiving matchup between the Lions and the Buffalo Bills, the Bills put forth at the same time one of the best and the worst performances in Thanksgiving history. On the positive side, running back O. J. Simpson set the league record for most rushing yards in a single game, with 273. However, Simpson achieved this feat due in large part to the fact that the Bills' backup quarterback, Gary Marangi, gained only 29 yards passing and completed only 4 out of 21 passes, in addition to throwing an interception affording a passer rating of 19.7. Despite Simpson's record-setting performance, the Bills lost the game, 27-14.
    * In 1993, the Cowboys led the Dolphins 14-13 with just seconds remaining in a snow-filled Texas Stadium. Miami's Pete Stoyanovich attempted a game winning 40 yard field goal that was blocked by the Cowboys' Jimmie Jones. slick willy Enberg of NBC proclaimed "The Cowboys will win." However, Cowboys defensive lineman Leon Lett chased the ball and touched it, giving the Dolphins a chance to regain possession, and then kick a much shorter field goal to take an improbable 16-14 victory.
    * In 1998, the Steelers and Lions went to overtime. Pittsburgh's Jerome Bettis called the coin toss in the air, but confusion surrounded the call. The officials misheard Pittsburgh's call and awarded Detroit the ball. As a result of the fiasco, team captains are now required to call the coin toss before the coin is tossed.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Although I will agree that this year's Detroit game was a joke, I don't know what I think about them losing it.
    The Thanksgiving Classic has been played in Detroit since 1934, missing only a total of 5 games from 39-44 (due to WWII in 41-44, and Roosevelt in 39 and 40 - see below)

FYI, here are some interesting facts I found regarding the game form http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_Classic

* The AFC has never hosted a NFL Thanksgiving classic (although before the merger there was an AFL game as well)
    * Until 2007, there were only two games - one hosted by Dallas, one by Detroit.
    Now there is a third Thanksgiving game that rotates, but is still hosted by an NFL team.
    * There is always one NFC-NFC match up, and one AFC-NFC match up on broadcast television, to satisfy television contracts.
    The game on NFLN can be with AFC-NFC or NFC-NFC (it was Indy at Atl in 2007, and Arz at Philly in 2008)
    * The first owner of the Lions, G.A. Richards, started the tradition of the Thanksgiving Day game as a gimmick to get people to go to Lions football games
    * It is widely rumored that the Cowboys sought a guarantee that they would regularly host Thanksgiving games as a condition of their very first one
    * In 1939 and 1940, during the Franksgiving controversy, the only two teams to play the game were the Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles, as both teams were in the same state (Pennsylvania); at the time, then-president Franklin Roosevelt wanted to move the holiday purely for economic reasons and many states were resistant to the move, which would have complicated scheduling for the game.
    * In the 1976 Thanksgiving matchup between the Lions and the Buffalo Bills, the Bills put forth at the same time one of the best and the worst performances in Thanksgiving history. On the positive side, running back O. J. Simpson set the league record for most rushing yards in a single game, with 273. However, Simpson achieved this feat due in large part to the fact that the Bills' backup quarterback, Gary Marangi, gained only 29 yards passing and completed only 4 out of 21 passes, in addition to throwing an interception affording a passer rating of 19.7. Despite Simpson's record-setting performance, the Bills lost the game, 27-14.
    * In 1993, the Cowboys led the Dolphins 14-13 with just seconds remaining in a snow-filled Texas Stadium. Miami's Pete Stoyanovich attempted a game winning 40 yard field goal that was blocked by the Cowboys' Jimmie Jones. slick willy Enberg of NBC proclaimed "The Cowboys will win." However, Cowboys defensive lineman Leon Lett chased the ball and touched it, giving the Dolphins a chance to regain possession, and then kick a much shorter field goal to take an improbable 16-14 victory.
    * In 1998, the Steelers and Lions went to overtime. Pittsburgh's Jerome Bettis called the coin toss in the air, but confusion surrounded the call. The officials misheard Pittsburgh's call and awarded Detroit the ball. As a result of the fiasco, team captains are now required to call the coin toss before the coin is tossed.
    Don't forget when we went to Dallas with this WR named Randy Moss who only had 3 catches in the game.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast