ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Why Tomlin?

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=jdvike link=topic=50394.msg903296#msg903296 date=1233500830]

The real question is ...Is Tomlin that good?... or did he just inherit a great team?

I'm just saying...

Tomlin took over an 8-8 team that was 1 year removed from the playoffs & took them into the playoffs in both of his first two years as HC, reaching the SB in only his second year.

Childress took over a 9-7 team that was 1 year removed from the playoffs & didn't get them into the playoffs until his 3rd year.

I'm just saying...

Yeah but even though Childress took over a 9-7 team he didn't take over with a lot of the same players.
    Tomlin took over a team that had the same nucleus of the team that won the superbowl just a couple of years back.
    Way different circumstance imo.
    Yes he did. He inherited the same players in 2006 that were on the team in 2005. If those players weren't all resigned, some cut & some let go to FA, it was under Childress & companies watch.

While many of those players are still in tact, Tomlin lost both the OC & DC to the Cardinals. Whisenhunt & what's his name, so he had to replace them & still maintain that level of coaching with whomever he replaced them with.
    Absolutely!
    i am not trying to take anything away from Tomlin but let's face it he walked into a great situation.
    One of the best DCs in the league in Lebow along with Tomlin's great defensive knowledge made a great situation.
    Again, I'm not taking anything away from Tomlin but the only coach that ever walked into a better situation was Seifort in SF.
    Really? How about Barry Switzer in Dallas? ;D

The thing about Tomlin is he was open to not rehauling everything just because he was comfortable with it. He is a cover 2 coach, he kept the 3-4 defense and let the coordinator do their job without interference. Now, compare that to what Childress did with our offense....
    [/quote]

Yes I did forget about Switzer.
    Good catch!

Point is he is a good HC.
    I am not ready to crown him as a great HC just yet.
    I give him all the credit in the world for keeping this team together and winning a superbowl.
    I applaud him for that.
    But the fact remains he stepped into a great situation with the same nucleous of a team (most of them young) that had won a superbowl 2 years prior.
    There is no way that can be compared to Childress' era in MN.
    He gutted the team and has them in the playoffs.
    Now next year will be the determining factor for me to see if Childress is a good HC or not.
    Right now it is up in the air imo.
    I know most of you hate the guy and that is fine.
    I choose to give him the benefot of the doubt.
    Next year should prove what he is all about.
    Then there is no more excuses.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=jdvike link=topic=50394.msg903296#msg903296 date=1233500830]

The real question is ...Is Tomlin that good?... or did he just inherit a great team?

I'm just saying...

Tomlin took over an 8-8 team that was 1 year removed from the playoffs & took them into the playoffs in both of his first two years as HC, reaching the SB in only his second year.

Childress took over a 9-7 team that was 1 year removed from the playoffs & didn't get them into the playoffs until his 3rd year.

I'm just saying...

Yeah but even though Childress took over a 9-7 team he didn't take over with a lot of the same players.
    Tomlin took over a team that had the same nucleus of the team that won the superbowl just a couple of years back.
    Way different circumstance imo.
    Yes he did. He inherited the same players in 2006 that were on the team in 2005. If those players weren't all resigned, some cut & some let go to FA, it was under Childress & companies watch.

While many of those players are still in tact, Tomlin lost both the OC & DC to the Cardinals. Whisenhunt & what's his name, so he had to replace them & still maintain that level of coaching with whomever he replaced them with.
    Absolutely!
    i am not trying to take anything away from Tomlin but let's face it he walked into a great situation.
    One of the best DCs in the league in Lebow along with Tomlin's great defensive knowledge made a great situation.
    Again, I'm not taking anything away from Tomlin but the only coach that ever walked into a better situation was Seifort in SF.
    Really? How about Barry Switzer in Dallas? ;D

The thing about Tomlin is he was open to not rehauling everything just because he was comfortable with it. He is a cover 2 coach, he kept the 3-4 defense and let the coordinator do their job without interference. Now, compare that to what Childress did with our offense....
    [/quote]
    ummm.... we had an entirely new coaching staff, including OC, DC and HC, why would they keep the old scheme?

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikestand" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Why Tomlin? 'He was going to be a terrific coach'[/size]

The Steelers liked what they saw in a Vikings defensive coordinator, and before long he won his team's respect. Now he's the youngest coach in Super Bowl history.

By MARK CRAIG, Star Tribune

Last update: January 31, 2009 - 9:48 AM
    fucking son of a bitch I hate they let him fucking go. Few fucking things get me fired up as this does. God Damn Chilly.....
    That doesn't even make sense if you're doing successive hits from the bong while injecting heroin and pouring everclear into your eye sockets.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Blog Entries

"Vikestand" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Why Tomlin? 'He was going to be a terrific coach'[/size]

The Steelers liked what they saw in a Vikings defensive coordinator, and before long he won his team's respect. Now he's the youngest coach in Super Bowl history.

By MARK CRAIG, Star Tribune

Last update: January 31, 2009 - 9:48 AM
    fucking son of a bitch I hate they let him fucking go. Few fucking things get me fired up as this does. God Damn Chilly.....
    yep, it was chilly's fault that Tomlin signed with the steelers...

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    Tomlin acquired a phenomenal team and kept LeBeau and other staffers. He didn't even rebuild the coordinators let alone the team. Cowher should get as much credit as Tomlin.
    LeBeau sure as hell looks young for a 70 yr old dude.
    It's nice to have a D coordinator with as much experience as he has.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

"Prophet" wrote:
    "DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    Tomlin acquired a phenomenal team and kept LeBeau and other staffers. He didn't even rebuild the coordinators let alone the team. Cowher should get as much credit as Tomlin.
    I garee he does not look 70 yrs old.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Blog Entries

"Vikes" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    I garee he does not look 70 yrs old.
    Agreed... Although, if you look at him, in the past season it looks like he's put on about 10 years of aging.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    why would they keep the old scheme?
    Well, the old scheme was one of the most productive in the NFL and the new one is one of the least. I guess that would be my reason.

Blog Entries

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    why would they keep the old scheme?
    Well, the old scheme was one of the most productive in the NFL and the new one is one of the least. I guess that would be my reason.
    true, but they didn't have the same coaches or coordinators that instilled the old scheme.
    You can't expect them to drop whats worked for them in the past years and try to keep the existing scheme alive.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"ejmat" wrote:

Point is he is a good HC.
    I am not ready to crown him as a great HC just yet.

I give him all the credit in the world for keeping this team together and winning a superbowl.
    I applaud him for that.
    But the fact remains he stepped into a great situation with the same nucleous of a team (most of them young) that had won a superbowl 2 years prior.
    There is no way that can be compared to Childress' era in MN.
    He gutted the team and has them in the playoffs.
    Now next year will be the determining factor for me to see if Childress is a good HC or not.
    Right now it is up in the air imo.
    I know most of you hate the guy and that is fine.
    I choose to give him the benefot of the doubt.
    Next year should prove what he is all about.
    Then there is no more excuses.
    Yep, that is where it's at. I would call him a good coach at this point & not a great coach.

The problem is, he's the Steelers' good HC & not Vikings HC.

I wonder how much Childress would have gutted the Steelers team & it's coaching staff, had he taken over the job there, to bring "his people" in.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast