Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Tomlin?

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Why Tomlin?

"singersp" wrote:
    "jdvike" wrote:

The real question is ...Is Tomlin that good?... or did he just inherit a great team?

I'm just saying...

Tomlin took over an 8-8 team that was 1 year removed from the playoffs & took them into the playoffs in both of his first two years as HC, reaching the SB in only his second year.

Childress took over a 9-7 team that was 1 year removed from the playoffs & didn't get them into the playoffs until his 3rd year.

I'm just saying...

Yeah but even though Childress took over a 9-7 team he didn't take over with a lot of the same players.
    Tomlin took over a team that had the same nucleus of the team that won the superbowl just a couple of years back.
    Way different circumstance imo.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "jdvike" wrote:

The real question is ...Is Tomlin that good?... or did he just inherit a great team?

I'm just saying...

Tomlin took over an 8-8 team that was 1 year removed from the playoffs & took them into the playoffs in both of his first two years as HC, reaching the SB in only his second year.

Childress took over a 9-7 team that was 1 year removed from the playoffs & didn't get them into the playoffs until his 3rd year.

I'm just saying...

So this is Chillys fault! LOL

Childress even got many upgrades this year. Fuck him.

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

"ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "jdvike" wrote:

I'm just saying...

I'm just saying...

Yeah but even though Childress took over a 9-7 team he didn't take over with a lot of the same players.
    Tomlin took over a team that had the same nucleus of the team that won the superbowl just a couple of years back.
    I agree...the talent comparison is not even close...they both went into completely different situations...Tomlin most definitely started out with more...you don't have to be a football wizz to see that.

1 Super Bowl win(if it happens today) does not a great coach make...time will tell.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

I believe this years FA and draft class will have a lot to do with a SB championship soon.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "jdvike" wrote:

I'm just saying...

I'm just saying...

Yes he did. He inherited the same players in 2006 that were on the team in 2005. If those players weren't all resigned, some cut & some let go to FA, it was under Childress & companies watch.

While many of those players are still in tact, Tomlin lost both the OC & DC to the Cardinals. Whisenhunt & what's his name, so he had to replace them & still maintain that level of coaching with whomever he replaced them with.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "jdvike" wrote:

I'm just saying...

I'm just saying...

Yes he did. He inherited the same players in 2006 that were on the team in 2005. If those players weren't all resigned, some cut & some let go to FA, it was under Childress & companies watch.

While many of those players are still in tact, Tomlin lost both the OC & DC to the Cardinals. Whisenhunt & what's his name, so he had to replace them & still maintain that level of coaching with whomever he replaced them with.
    Absolutely!
    i am not trying to take anything away from Tomlin but let's face it he walked into a great situation.
    One of the best DCs in the league in Lebow along with Tomlin's great defensive knowledge made a great situation.
    Again, I'm not taking anything away from Tomlin but the only coach that ever walked into a better situation was Seifort in SF.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "jdvike" wrote:

I'm just saying...

I'm just saying...

Absolutely!
    i am not trying to take anything away from Tomlin but let's face it he walked into a great situation.
    One of the best DCs in the league in Lebow along with Tomlin's great defensive knowledge made a great situation.
    Again, I'm not taking anything away from Tomlin but the only coach that ever walked into a better situation was Seifort in SF.
    Really? How about Barry Switzer in Dallas? ;D

The thing about Tomlin is he was open to not rehauling everything just because he was comfortable with it. He is a cover 2 coach, he kept the 3-4 defense and let the coordinator do their job without interference. Now, compare that to what Childress did with our offense....

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Tomlin is good.

We know it and the Steelers knew it that's why he got hired.

Good Job Tomlin congrats!

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Tomlin acquired a phenomenal team and kept LeBeau and other staffers. He didn't even rebuild the coordinators let alone the team. Cowher should get as much credit as Tomlin.

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

I'm glad for Tomlin...although he's yet another Coordinator to leave the Vikes and go on to win the Lombardi with another team as HC.
    Billick, Dungy, Tomlin...I'm probably forgetting some.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that I don't want Leslie Frazier being the next Tomlin/Dungy/Billick/.....?

And I'm also glad the Steelers as a team won.
    I don't care if this title is their 6th or even their 60th...as long as the Cards didn't win their first Championship before my Vikes.
    LOL

JMO

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast