Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Why NFL Network is stuck on the sidelines

I love NFLN and I love my Direct TV.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

"jessejames09" wrote:
    I seriously don't know what I would do without it. I just leave it on whenever.

Jamie Dukes giving you random theories about nothing, Primetime yelling at you and then laughing about it. If Pacman Jones stabbed someone in a burger king, I would be taking to it live and would know before anyone else.
    I updated your post a little, but this is how I feel. I could go on about all the personalities, but that would take me the rest of the night. Some of them piss me off, but so many of them are perfect in their own little way. Rich, Moochie and Prime... I would not want anyone else (with football knowledge, so supermodels are out) giving me my 90minute edition of NFL gameday on sunday.
    We're bringing purple back.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Prophet" wrote:
    If it's a good enough channel, people will watch it.
    I'm not that impressed with it, I watch it, but I don't care if it folds if their asking price is higher than what people are willing to pay.
    Their asking price isn't higher than people are willing to pay.
    It is higher than the cable companies are willing to pay.
    The people still pay the same high rates to the cable companies.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/61332

[size=14pt]Why NFL Network is stuck on the sidelines [/size]
    After more than five years, NFL Network earns programming and production raves but is still fighting for distribution due to missteps and miscalculations. Is the league finally ready to change course?

By JOHN OURAND
    Staff writer
    Published January 26, 2009

After years of distribution missteps and a controversial negotiating strategy, there are signs that NFL executives are willing to take a new approach with NFL Network, which has become a rare and high-profile black eye for the biggest and most powerful sports property in the United States.

The network still is talking with potential partners about giving up equity in the network, demonstrating that after more than five years, the league is growing increasingly concerned about how to get the asset in more homes. For the last two years, its distribution has been going backward despite high-quality year-round programming and top-shelf production.
    I hope NP reads this.
    I doubt it will make him as gleeful as it made me.

=Z=
    Well, if you are gleeful on the strangle hold that cable companies have on the consumer, then have at it...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "fourdoorchevelle" wrote:
    i enjoy nfl network . that way i don't have to wait for espn to get through all of the other sports i could care less about.
    +1

I laugh at Tyrone and his cracky dance every time. Post often.

yeah dave is a comedic genius, too bad he doesn't still do his show

http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

After more than five years, NFL Network earns programming and production raves but is still fighting for distribution due to missteps and miscalculations. Is the league finally ready to change course?

By JOHN OURAND
    Staff writer

After years of distribution missteps and a controversial negotiating strategy, there are signs that NFL executives are willing to take a new approach with NFL Network, which has become a rare and high-profile black eye for the biggest and most powerful sports property in the United States.

The network still is talking with potential partners about giving up equity in the network, demonstrating that after more than five years, the league is growing increasingly concerned about how to get the asset in more homes. For the last two years, its distribution has been going backward despite high-quality year-round programming and top-shelf production.
    I hope NP reads this.
    Well, if you are gleeful on the strangle hold that cable companies have on the consumer, then have at it...
    I'm gleeful that the arrogance of the NFL is only causing their reach to decline.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

By JOHN OURAND
    Staff writer

I hope NP reads this.
    I'm gleeful that the arrogance of the NFL is only causing their reach to decline.

=Z=
    And as a result, cable companies are allowed to continue to offer BS "basic" programming packages that they know full well very few people actually subscribe to, and then overcharge consumers for additional programming.

Don't believe that this defeat of NFLN was in any way a victory for the general consumer.
    It was a victory for the cable companies like Time Warner only.
    They will make much more money off the consumers now by bundling high profile programming with low and charging for both.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

By JOHN OURAND
    Staff writer

I hope NP reads this.
    And as a result, cable companies are allowed to continue to offer BS "basic" programming packages that they know full well very few people actually subscribe to, and then overcharge consumers for additional programming.

Don't believe that this defeat of NFLN was in any way a victory for the general consumer.
    They will make much more money off the consumers now by bundling high profile programming with low and charging for both.
    The General Consumer who doesn't want the NFLN shoved down their throats is certainly a winner.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

I enjoy NFL Network it just seems like the players are just more honest on whats really going on.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

By JOHN OURAND
    Staff writer

I hope NP reads this.

The General Consumer who doesn't want the NFLN shoved down their throats is certainly a winner.

=Z=
    Can't see the forect for the trees can you?

The only people who will benefit from this are the one who subscribe to the absolute base level programming package.
    What percentage of subscribers do you think that is.
    I would bet that it is less than 5%.
    The vast majority of people exercise their choice to add additional programing packages on, like sports,HD, etc.
    This is where the cable companies make their money.
    They charge a disproportionate amount for these packages, often charging as much for 5-10 channels as they do for the entire base package.

Tiered programing is a broken system in our television would right now.
    If tiered programming is limited or eliminated, the base price of programming does go up, but the average programming price per subscriber goes down.
    This is because, as mentioned before, the vast majority of subscribers do not only subscribe to the base package.
    In short, the GENERAL CONSUMER would come out ahead if tiered programming were to be reduced.

This was never a fight about price with the cable companies.
    It wsa a fight about programming placement.
    Time Warner had absolutely no intentions of ever putting NFLN in its basic packages because it could make much more money by putting it in a subscription tier.
    Was NFLN charging too much? Yup.
    But that was a secondary issue.
    Now that NFLN has basically lost its fight to require programming in a basic package, no other channel will be able to do it either.
    The precedence has been set.

So continue to take consolation in the fact the cable companies are victorius.
    Because if an organization as large and rich as the NFL can't force them to break their mold, then nothing can.
    And the general consumer will continue to get taken adantage of.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast