Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Why NFL Network is stuck on the sidelines

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/61332

[size=14pt]Why NFL Network is stuck on the sidelines [/size]
    After more than five years, NFL Network earns programming and production raves but is still fighting for distribution due to missteps and miscalculations. Is the league finally ready to change course?

By JOHN OURAND
    Staff writer
    Published January 26, 2009

After years of distribution missteps and a controversial negotiating strategy, there are signs that NFL executives are willing to take a new approach with NFL Network, which has become a rare and high-profile black eye for the biggest and most powerful sports property in the United States.

The network still is talking with potential partners about giving up equity in the network, demonstrating that after more than five years, the league is growing increasingly concerned about how to get the asset in more homes. For the last two years, its distribution has been going backward despite high-quality year-round programming and top-shelf production.
    I hope NP reads this.
    I doubt it will make him as gleeful as it made me.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Why NFL Network is stuck on the sidelines

Time Warner Cable does not carry the channel at all
    Doesn't look I'll be watching the NFL Network any time in the near future as long as Bornstein is in charge.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

If it's a good enough channel, people will watch it.
    I'm not that impressed with it, I watch it, but I don't care if it folds if their asking price is higher than what people are willing to pay.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

IMO, there's just not enough programming to keep it relevant.

Their draft, mini and training camp coverage is great because they talk about teams other than the Cowboys, Steelers and Patriots, but airing NFL Total Access 5 times a day gets a little stale.

i enjoy nfl network . that way i don't have to wait for espn to get through all of the other sports i could care less about.

http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Ltrey" wrote:
    IMO, there's just not enough programming to keep it relevant.

Their draft, mini and training camp coverage is great because they talk about teams other than the Cowboys, Steelers and Patriots, but airing NFL Total Access 5 times a day gets a little stale.
    All they have to do is put more NFL games on the channel, which they can control that much of it.
    I watch the replays of the Vikings games on it during the week.
    This season I didn't have the NFL Ticket and relied on the replays to see the game.
    Yes, this is probably a far and between phenom, not very many people in my position.
    But, they do have a decent audience.
    I think they could have some more programming on there, they have the power and the access to things that other stations don't and won't.

Tennis, MLB, NBA have all followed.
    The NBA didn't keep my attention. Tennis, who cares? MLB, I am already inundated with 162 games a year, I don't know if I can take more programming.
    Oh well!

I do like their NFL Team Cams and the Access they have to players.
    Replays are a bonus.
    They should drop their price a bit and get on the cable stations so everyone can appreciate.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

NFL Network is everything you want. 55 hours of live coverage this week for the superbowl. Tons of amazing guests on set. They have the best people in the business.
    We don't get ESPN up here, nfln is my best option for football coverage. and really how can you say no to 24/7 football? If I didn't have a life, or if the vikings were in the game, I would have watched all of those 55 hours of live coverage this week.

No other network gives you the draft coverage of the scouting combine, the senior bowl and all other draft related business.

Sunday mornings, now that they have gameday morning, I tune into them instead of the other channels. CBS is boring, ESPN has no hosts I like, and FOX is my choice when nfln is on commercial.

Now the issue here is the fact that people are not buying the network and that companies don't want to carry it. Could relate to the economy bs, but if you are an nfl fan, you need this channel. Some kind of free preview would get people hooked. More games? I not sure if that is the answer because those without the channel just go to the bar and watch the game instead of ordering the channel. So I guess the marketing guys have a lot of word to do because the product is amazing.
    We're bringing purple back.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

NFL Network > Superman and Batman put together.

I seriously don't know what I would do without it. I just leave it on whenever I'm on pp.o or doing anything around the house, like a radio of non-stop football goodness.

Without the senior bowl and combine coverage I might just find myself doing something useful in the offseason, or maybe I would jump off a cliff. Like I said I don't know what I would do without it.

Do you seriously watch sports center in the morning? I know tennis and baseball highlights are exhilarating but with NFL network you get right to the meat and potatoes. Meat and potatoes being anything to do with football or Deon Saunders and Jamie Dukes yelling at you. If Pacman Jones stabbed someone in a burger king, I would want to know right away, not after open wheel racing and golf highlights.

I don't even feel I need to touch on the greatness of NFL Replay, because I can't begin to describe the amount of ass it kicks.

Big C is offline Coordinator

I love NFL network. Thats all I watch unless it's a show I have Tivo'd. I love Playbok, NFL replay, Gameday Final, America's Game (totally awesome), etc, etc.

I also seem to be obsessed with Michelle Beisner (excuse the spelling)
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"fourdoorchevelle" wrote:
    i enjoy nfl network . that way i don't have to wait for espn to get through all of the other sports i could care less about.
    +1

I laugh at Tyrone and his cracky dance every time. Post often.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast