BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Why do they call it an offensive tackle?

They don't TACKLE anyone, do they? (rimshot) :lol:

Okay, lame and obvious puns aside, why is it called an offensive tackle? They aren't assigned to block the DEFENSIVE tackle (except on a stunt). So why don't they call guards "offensive tackles" and call the tackles something like "offensive ends?"

Think about it. It wouldn't change any of the rules of football at all, nor would it make the game any more or less easy to understand. It would be completely unnecessary, which means that it's right up my alley! :lol:

Seriously, though, does anyone have any information on why they're called tackles? Perhaps muchluv, Supreme Ruler of the Empire of Footballinformationland has the answer. Or maybe someone else. Or maybe no one. I am not sure. I probably should stop typing and adding useless sentences. Okay. I have stopped now.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Why do they call it an offensive tackle?

Why do they call it quarterback?

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Del Rio Guest

The term quarterback has its origin in Scottish rugby, wherein backfield players, according to their customary distance behind the forwards, were designated "quarter back" (i.e. 1/4 of the way back), "half back", and "full back". Eventually in rugby the English-Irish nomenclature prevailed, with halfback, three-quarters back, and fullback; in some places the term "five-eighths back" is used as well.

I have no idea why they are called offensive tackles. I do know that it was not uncommon to have a guy play both offensive tackle and defensive tackle in the same game. In fact when American football started taking off this was quite common.

Since football was basically taken from rugby and morphed into it's own sport many of the words, many of the old school origins come from the game of rugby.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

"Del Rio" wrote:
    The term quarterback has its origin in Scottish rugby, wherein backfield players, according to their customary distance behind the forwards, were designated "quarter back" (i.e. 1/4 of the way back), "half back", and "full back". Eventually in rugby the English-Irish nomenclature prevailed, with halfback, three-quarters back, and fullback; in some places the term "five-eighths back" is used as well.

I have no idea why they are called offensive tackles. I do know that it was not uncommon to have a guy play both offensive tackle and defensive tackle in the same game. In fact when American football started taking off this was quite common.

Since football was basically taken from rugby and morphed into it's own sport many of the words, many of the old school origins come from the game of rugby.
    Okay! We have our answer, the answer that can be applied to anything: Blame the Scotsmen! (Just ask the people in my neighborhood, they've hung more than a few for the recent halitosis outbreak - JK!) :lol:

Does anyone else know of any possible answers? Because if you don't...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZAP!!! ZZZZZZZZZZAP! Bwah-hah-hah! You can run, but you can't glide!

(Actually, if you don't, I'll accept Del Rio's "blame the drunken Scottish rugby players" answer).

Drunk #1: "'Ey, Willie, 'ow 'bout we call this'un a tackle?"
    Drunk #2: "'At doan' make n'sense! Fuh*in' brilliant! Tackle it is! 'At's wut we'll call 'er, then!"
    Drunk #1: "Awrighty, now 'ow 'bout we go rape 'em goats o'er there makin' a san' trap?"
    Drunk #2: "Leave the big'un wit 'orns fer me!"

(I would like to apologize to any actual Scotsmen who are offended by this comparison to Packer fans.)

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

whats the difference between a full back half back and tail back, isnt tail back the same as half back? and why is the full back lined up behind the QB shouldnt the HB be behind the QB?

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

what about the cornerback? they don't play offense at all....haha.