StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Why can't corners tackle anymore ?

Why don't NFL cornerbacks tackle anymore ? I see so much terrible tackling, and missed tackles (but hey, I live in Dallas !
    :

Just wonder what you guys think. I am not talking about the Vikes, because we tackle. I am talking about so many teams (Jets, Bengals, Cowboys, etc.).

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Why can't corners tackle anymore ?

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Why don't NFL cornerbacks not tackle anymore ? Just wonder what you guys think. I am not talking about the Vikes, because we tackle. I am talking about so many teams (Jets, Bengals, Cowboys, etc.).
    Deion syndrome

Krumb is offline Pro-Bowler

The game has changed , unfortunately people aren't required to be able to do multiple things anymore , everyone wants a Dante Hall , or a Champ Bailey , that shut down corner , instead of tackling ability and toughness , a corner's ability are measure in closing speed and hands , I blame this on the new breed of Receivers coming into the league , safeties and linebackers tackle , corners play the pass.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"Krumb" wrote:
    The game has changed , unfortunately people aren't required to be able to do multiple things anymore , everyone wants a Dante Hall , or a Champ Bailey , that shut down corner , instead of tackling ability and toughness , a corner's ability are measure in closing speed and hands , I blame this on the new breed of Receivers coming into the league , safeties and linebackers tackle , corners play the pass.

unfortunately, your last sentence is very true.

God Bless Antoine Winfield
    ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I think it has alot to do with the scheme.
    A cover 2 or cover 3 scheme will see alot of tackles by CB's, however, if they are in a manup/man-to-man scheme then they will be more inclined to go for the ball vice tackling.

Because we run a cover 2 scheme our CB's (especially Griff) were amongst our leaders in tackling last year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Forget corners, there are A LOT of LBs and safeties who don't understand the concept of wrapping up and thing that just throwing your body at a RB is enough for them to give up and fall down.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Why don't NFL cornerbacks tackle anymore ? I see so much terrible tackling, and missed tackles (but hey, I live in Dallas !
    :

Just wonder what you guys think. I am not talking about the Vikes, because we tackle. I am talking about so many teams (Jets, Bengals, Cowboys, etc.).
    Making the tackle and denying the YAC aren't sexy like the pick - or getting beat going for it.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Forget corners, there are A LOT of LBs and safeties who don't understand the concept of wrapping up and thing that just throwing your body at a RB is enough for them to give up and fall down.
    *cough*
    Dwight Smith
    *cough*

*cough*
    Darren Sharper
    *cough*

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Krumb" wrote:
    but champ bailey is one of the best tackling corners in the league, but I get your point.

Krumb is offline Pro-Bowler

Champ Bailey is just an all around good shut down corner , there are better examples out there of pass protecting corners , also I meant to say Deangelo Hall in my original post not Dante , and everyone wants a big hit , everyone wants to be on Sportscenter I miss the days of Ronnie Lott , or Joey Browner , dropping back a couple steps in the cover 2 , and then coming up to play the run and going through the ball carrier like your supposed to , that body to body contact may have worked in college when they we're the best players on the field , but in the N.F.L. basically everyone was the best player on the field in college , you gotta get low , plant your feet , keep your head up , make contact , wrap up , and drive through the ball carrier , then get up and do it again.