View Poll Results: Who has the best shot at success?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Luck

16 57.14%
  • Griffin

5 17.86%
  • Ponder

7 25.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you say...RG's athletic ability will help him be productive quicker while he figures out NFL defenses and the offensive scheme at Washington.

However, I would be careful in characterizing this guy as a run first QB. He may start out that way, but I see him as a more natural passer than most of the athletic guys that have come into the league in many years. As his career matures, I think you will see him beating teams with his arm much more than with his legs.
    Remember though, a guy who passed well in College does not mean he'll be a good NFL passer. I have no doubt he'll be a run first guy early on. It's easier to take off after one or two reads than stick in, go through the full progression and then run. If he tries to do the latter, I don't think he'll succeed. He will play to his strengths, which is running right now.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    I can't believe 4 people think Ponder will be more successful than Luck.

Did we acquire Larry Fitzgerald & Calvin Johnson or something?

Perhaps they feel the Colts might trade Luck plus a draft pick to us for Ponder.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-20-2012 at 06:33 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Remember though, a guy who passed well in College does not mean he'll be a good NFL passer. I have no doubt he'll be a run first guy early on. It's easier to take off after one or two reads than stick in, go through the full progression and then run. If he tries to do the latter, I don't think he'll succeed. He will play to his strengths, which is running right now.
    Again, I agree on tendency to run more early on in a QB's career, especially when you have the legs of an RGIII, but I wouldn't say his strength is with running the ball from a skill standpoint. His legs should allow him to be productive earlier in his career as he develops the nuances of the passing game. I don't question his arm or his ability to be effective leading a pass first offense and a few years down the road I would expect to see him damaging teams more through the air than with his legs...very similar to Aaron Rodgers. Defenses will always have to worry about his ability to run the ball though.

The other thing about RGIII that probably doesn't get mentioned enough is his accuracy with the deep ball. This again is something he can take advantage of early in his career, providing he has a WR that can get separation and make the catch. His legs will aid him in buying time to make the throw and you will also notice if you watch some of his Baylor tape that he doesn't get spooked in a dirty pocket like a lot of young QB's do.

If he stays healthy, I think you'll see a fair amount of highlights from RGIII this year, both on land and in the sky. But probably not a real methodical dissecting of the defense with scattered throws until he develops this game further....just like every other rookie QB.

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I can't believe 4 people think Ponder will be more successful than Luck.

Did we acquire Larry Fitzgerald & Calvin Johnson or something?

Perhaps they feel the Colts might trade Luck plus a draft pick to us for Ponder.
    If your measuring their success by how many wins they get next year then I will put Ponder up against Luck. Not saying he will be the better QB, but I think the Vikings have a good shot of putting more W's on the board than Indy. Or, we will suck less.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    If your measuring their success by how many wins they get next year then I will put Ponder up against Luck. Not saying he will be the better QB, but I think the Vikings have a good shot of putting more W's on the board than Indy. Or, we will suck less.
    We've already downgraded our team from the team we had last year. Ponder had 1 win last year. Just 1. Indy had 2 wins with Collins at QB & 0 behind Painter/Orlovsky.

Rookie or not, Luck will easily lead that team to more wins than Ponder can with our team.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    We've already downgraded our team from the team we had last year. Ponder had 1 win last year. Just 1. Indy had 2 wins with Collins at QB & 0 behind Painter/Orlovsky.

Rookie or not, Luck will easily lead that team to more wins than Ponder can with our team.
    I might remind you that we lost a few close games because we had no one in our secondary... but I suppose you can place the entire blame on a rookie QB if you're trying to make a (myopic) point.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

I would take that bet. And when the season starts, I don't think we will have a less talented team on the field than last year. Unless Zygi gets so frustrated with the state of MN that he throws a big FU at 'em on his way out.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I'd take that bet as well.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I'd take that bet as well.
    be careful as to what is defined as a team win, other team choke and what would be a Ponder win.....however all loses would be on Ponder

Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    I might remind you that we lost a few close games because we had no one in our secondary... but I suppose you can place the entire blame on a rookie QB if you're trying to make a (myopic) point.
    I'm not blaming it solely on the QB. Don't confuse myopic with being on topic.

Again, it's about which QB will have the most success on their respective teams, not which QB would have the most success if only they had a good secondary.

Last I checked we still have no one in our secondary & the way Spielman is signing K-Mart special athletes, I don't see us hugely improving the defensive backfield.

It's about which QB will have the best chance at success & that means which QB will have the best team around him.

Sure, you can say we lost some close games, but the one game we won with Ponder at QB we won by only 3 points as well & that was thankfully because Carolina missed that FG.

Need I remind you as well, if you are going to play the "We lost some close games" game, that Indy lost some close games as well?

2 years ago with Brett "God" Favre as our QB we were still only 6-10, Indy was 10-6 with Manning.

Indy's team has a lot fewer pieces missing than our team does. We'd have to have one hell of a draft & hit home runs on almost all our picks to improve as vastly as some here believe us to do.

Your prediction was that the Vikings would possibly go 5-11 & that was a very optimistic prediction on your part.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-20-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast