View Poll Results: Who has the best shot at success?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Luck

16 57.14%
  • Griffin

5 17.86%
  • Ponder

7 25.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    We have been building thru the draft. Enjoy!

How many of our starters were in the NFL prior to 2007?

How many of our starters do we still have from 2006 & prior? 2?
    As opposed to bringing in guys like Pinkston and every player the iggles didn't want for 3 years, giving overpriced contracts to guys like Bobby Wade, Berrian, Shaincoe, Johnson, Gus, Bollinger, Moss and a myriad of other players?

Blog Entries
    Which template is that? The cross off veteran & insert practice squad player here template or the cross off veteran & insert fast basketball player here template or the cross off starters & insert back up player caliber players here template?
    I was referring to the 2 TE ball control offense that relies on the short to intermediate passes instead of the deep ball that he cannot complete offense.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I was referring to the 2 TE ball control offense that relies on the short to intermediate passes instead of the deep ball that he cannot complete offense.
    Just from the little bit I saw of Rudolph, I loved what I saw. The kid catches virtually everything thrown at him, yet our coaches hardly played him at all.

We had 2 TE's last year & have been trying that short to intermediate passes instead of the deep ball. It hasn't been working for us.

Without him being able to complete the deep ball, it makes our offense even more predictable than it already was with AD & that much easier to defend.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

As opposed to bringing in guys like Pinkston and every player the iggles didn't want for 3 years, giving overpriced contracts to guys like Bobby Wade, Berrian, Shaincoe, Johnson, Gus, Bollinger, Moss and a myriad of other players?
    There's a big difference between signing castaway FA players like Pinkston and signing FA's like Winfield that will be with our team for several years.

If you didn't like Childress when he did it, then you should really be hating Spielman signing the bottom feeders of the FA pool.

We need to sign some quality, not necessarily cream of the crop FA's to be part of the team & at the same time try to rebuild thru the draft. You can't rebuild solely thru the draft by adding 1 or 2 quality players each year.

Again, our track record should show that. How many players did we draft prior to 2007 that are still on the team?

Blog Entries
    There's a big difference between signing castaway FA players like Pinkston and signing FA's like Winfield that will be with our team for several years.
    Yeah, I suppose. Since he was signed by Red I suppose we should lobby to get him back. And since he followed Cottrell from Buffalo maybe we should give old Teddy a second run lol.

If you didn't like Childress when he did it, then you should really be hating Spielman signing the bottom feeders of the FA pool.
    I don't have any love for Spielman and figure he will probably fail. I am just more at ease for some reason because they are at least screwing up in a new way rather than trying to fill spots with old washed up retreads. Yeah, the FA signings were pretty bad but then again we still haven't crawled out of the cap hell we got into from the FA signings they did while Childress was here. That will take a few years of cheap players to get through. Same with the HC.

We need to sign some quality, not necessarily cream of the crop FA's to be part of the team & at the same time try to rebuild thru the draft. You can't rebuild solely thru the draft by adding 1 or 2 quality players each year.
    They did try to sign a few guys like that but even the marginal players like Garcon were getting stupid money. I would rather they not overpay those types of players.

Again, our track record should show that. How many players did we draft prior to 2007 that are still on the team?
    Prior to 2007? I am not sure how many teams in the league have players on their roster from prior to 2007 in any great numbers. Obviously if thy got a franchise type player they do their best to hold them but after 5 years it is not unusual to see players switch teams.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I'd say for immediate success (wins next year) it will be Griffin. He'll have the Newton Factor. his size, strength and athletic ability will make up for his lack of skill playing the QB position. He won't be the guy to lead a team as a passer, but can make something happen and is a weapon on the ground.

Once teams figure him out, they'll slow him down, but at any given moment he can make a team pay.

Luck will have to get settled, and as a more traditional passer, requires more weapons. He's still athletic, and can get out of trouble, but obviously not to the degree of Griffin.

Ponder is in a worse situation than any of them, and if I were to take either QB RIGHT NOW, it would be Luck over Ponder. Luck is and was an esy first overall pick. Ponder was a HUGE reach. a year of experience doesn't change that. I'm not certain Ponder will be any better than Luck even with a year under his belt.

Prior to 2007? I am not sure how many teams in the league have players on their roster from prior to 2007 in any great numbers. Obviously if thy got a franchise type player they do their best to hold them but after 5 years it is not unusual to see players switch teams.
    BINGO!

So if it's not unusual for a team to lose their players after 5 years, how is a team supposed to build a 54 man roster thru the draft only?

Even if we were able to get 4 legit starters out of each & every draft, which is uncommon, we couldn't even get 22 starters in 5 years.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-17-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Yeah, I suppose. Since he was signed by Red I suppose we should lobby to get him back. And since he followed Cottrell from Buffalo maybe we should give old Teddy a second run lol.
    Just because we signied some quality FA's under Red doesn't mean we need to bring him or Cotrell back to sign others, but thanx for completely missing my point.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-17-2012 at 11:20 PM.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I'd say for immediate success (wins next year) it will be Griffin. He'll have the Newton Factor. his size, strength and athletic ability will make up for his lack of skill playing the QB position. He won't be the guy to lead a team as a passer, but can make something happen and is a weapon on the ground.

Once teams figure him out, they'll slow him down, but at any given moment he can make a team pay.

Luck will have to get settled, and as a more traditional passer, requires more weapons. He's still athletic, and can get out of trouble, but obviously not to the degree of Griffin.

Ponder is in a worse situation than any of them, and if I were to take either QB RIGHT NOW, it would be Luck over Ponder. Luck is and was an esy first overall pick. Ponder was a HUGE reach. a year of experience doesn't change that. I'm not certain Ponder will be any better than Luck even with a year under his belt.
    I agree with a lot of what you say...RG's athletic ability will help him be productive quicker while he figures out NFL defenses and the offensive scheme at Washington.

However, I would be careful in characterizing this guy as a run first QB. He may start out that way, but I see him as a more natural passer than most of the athletic guys that have come into the league in many years. As his career matures, I think you will see him beating teams with his arm much more than with his legs.

Because of the pieces around him, I think we will see success come pretty early with a lot of upside potential. My biggest concern with him is around staying healthy. This guy is just not built like Cam or Vince and I can see him getting banged up if he tries to get too cute with running the ball. Although, now that the bounty system is out of the league, I guess we don't have to worry about that anymore.

I would draft Luck ahead of RGIII, but he is quite the consolation prize.

vikingsflow is offline Waterboy
    I have faith in Ponder RGIII and Luck are SO overhyped that it may just kill them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast