Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,262

    When statistics are deceptive

    Posted on Mon, Dec. 25, 2006

    [size=13pt]When statistics are deceptive[/size]

    By Mark Craig

    McClatchy Newspapers


    What run defense? Praising the Vikings' No. 1 run defense without mentioning the fact opponents simply choose to pass against them would be similar to patting the Colts on the back for their No. 2 pass defense without saying, "Oh yeah, it's mostly because their run defense is so putrid."



    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: When statistics are deceptive

    Do they choose to pass because they can? Or do they choose to pass because they know they cannot run?

    Fact of the matter is when they try and run they FAIL. End of story. So what option is left? Pass or FAIL some more. Pass the ball.

    The Run defense is amazing.

  3. #3
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,262

    Re: When statistics are deceptive

    The reason opponents choose to pass against the Vikings is because they have had little success rushing against them & greater success passing against them.

    You don't have to be a genius to know you attack a teams weakness.

    Once exposed, our secondary has been under attack the rest of the season.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #4
    vikes2456's Avatar
    vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,656

    Re: When statistics are deceptive

    We still have the lowest average, which kills that idiots argument.

  5. #5
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: When statistics are deceptive

    "vikes2456" wrote:
    We still have the lowest average, which kills that idiots argument.
    Exactly! Our yards per rush are still WAY under what any other team has given up.

  6. #6
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,262

    Re: When statistics are deceptive

    "Ltrey" wrote:
    "vikes2456" wrote:
    We still have the lowest average, which kills that idiots argument.
    Exactly! Our yards per rush are still WAY under what any other team has given up.
    Which at the moment is 2.6 yards/carry.

    But that could change going up against Jackson of the Rams this Sunday.

    http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-RUSHING/2006/regular?sort_col_1=7&_1:col_1=6

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #7
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Jeremy is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    289

    Re: When statistics are deceptive

    "singersp" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    "vikes2456" wrote:
    We still have the lowest average, which kills that idiots argument.
    Exactly! Our yards per rush are still WAY under what any other team has given up.
    Which at the moment is 2.6 yards/carry.

    But that could change going up against Jackson of the Rams this Sunday.

    http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-RUSHING/2006/regular?sort_col_1=7&_1:col_1=6
    No, Bulger will be throwing most of the game. Our secondary is wounded and the Rams will take advantage of it.

  8. #8
    Benet's Avatar
    Benet is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,976

    Re: When statistics are deceptive

    I would assume most of the Rams plays are going to be pass plays.. Considering our weak pass-defence has to go up against 2 of the premier playmakers at wide receiver, and yes I know that's giving a little too much credit to Isaac Bruce, but he still gets the job done opposite Torry Holt.

  9. #9
    Freya's Avatar
    Freya is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    2,456

    Re: When statistics are deceptive

    "singersp" wrote:
    Posted on Mon, Dec. 25, 2006

    [size=13pt]When statistics are deceptive[/size]

    By Mark Craig

    McClatchy Newspapers


    What run defense? Praising the Vikings' No. 1 run defense without mentioning the fact opponents simply choose to pass against them would be similar to patting the Colts on the back for their No. 2 pass defense without saying, "Oh yeah, it's mostly because their run defense is so putrid."


    Wow. I didn't know the Colts had a pass defense.


    Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Similar Threads

  1. Interestings Statistics - for those that like #s
    By bsmithberkley in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2010, 03:06 PM
  2. Beware the use of Sack Statistics
    By Marrdro in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 01:01 PM
  3. Vikings' statistics after week 3
    By HEY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-25-2008, 03:04 PM
  4. Numbers game: What statistics matter most to NFL coaches?
    By cogitans in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2007, 10:39 AM
  5. more statistics
    By spiker711 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2003, 06:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •