Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: What’s more important: Coach or QB?

I'll check my two pennyworth in here and say it depends on the coach and the QB in question. There are certain QBs in the league that could be considered more important than the coach though,hopefully, they have enough sense to discuss things with him and not be completely gung-ho.
    However for the majority of QBs,especially in the NFL, then the coach is the more important. They will have seen that much more in their career than the QB and should be the guiding influence.
    Of course the overall thing is to have both parties contributing their respective ideas and views.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"pack93z" wrote:
    Okay since I cluttered the thread with off topic humor.. neither is more important than the other, success is dependant on a common vision of what the offense needs to do, both have to speak the same story.
    Nothing wrong with a little humor. I wouldn't have posted what I did if I didn't know you are actually pretty humorous about that yourself.

I think the thread is dead anyway, everyone with a brain would agree with what you said, you can't have one without the other, at least if you want to win anyway.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

I just think there is a wider variation in the quality of QBs than the quality of coaches.

There are only a few really good QBs, a few okay ones, and a lot of bad ones.
    That is, if you rated each QB on a scale of 1 to 10, there would be a handful of guys in the 8-10 range, maybe a dozen in the 5-7 range, and a whole bunch worse than that.
    The bad ones get to stick around because they might be able to develop into an okay QB, and there aren't enough better QBs anyway.

There are a lot of okay coaches, and it's hard to say there are more than a few really good ones.
    But there aren't a lot of terrible coaches either, and those are quickly fired.
    Doing the same 1-10 rating thing, there would probably be a handful in the 8-10 range, a whole bunch in the 5-7 range, and only a few worse than that.

So if you can get a really good QB, you'll almost certainly be able to find an okay coach.
    That combination will allow you to succeed for a long time.
    If you have a good coach, you still might have a hard time finding even an okay QB.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"cogitans" wrote:
    Nothing wrong with a little humor. I wouldn't have posted what I did if I didn't know you are actually pretty humorous about that yourself.

I think the thread is dead anyway, everyone with a brain would agree with what you said, you can't have one without the other, at least if you want to win anyway.
    Yeah.. I find humor in it.. when my son was little I used to joke with him that my wife (now ex) threw me over-board and the sharks got to me. No lie.. first parent teacher's conference he had in pre-school, she hauls out this stick drawing.. me getting pushed overboard with a what looked like a big fish in the water.. the ex didn't talk to me for a couple of days.. best story I ever told.
    ;D

"Overlord" wrote:
    I just think there is a wider variation in the quality of QBs than the quality of coaches.

That is, if you rated each QB on a scale of 1 to 10, there would be a handful of guys in the 8-10 range, maybe a dozen in the 5-7 range, and a whole bunch worse than that.
    The bad ones get to stick around because they might be able to develop into an okay QB, and there aren't enough better QBs anyway.

There are a lot of okay coaches, and it's hard to say there are more than a few really good ones.
    Doing the same 1-10 rating thing, there would probably be a handful in the 8-10 range, a whole bunch in the 5-7 range, and only a few worse than that.

So if you can get a really good QB, you'll almost certainly be able to find an okay coach.
    If you have a good coach, you still might have a hard time finding even an okay QB.
    OK, if you really want to take it to that, I might be forced to agree with you. Why is it you always insist on making intelligent posts.

Actually - if you count this season - I think a lot of teams have questionable QB situations. Which is also why I sigh at those thinking we can just bring in quality instead of TJack and go to the Superbowl.

It should be possible to go deep in the playoffs with only 'OK' coaches, if you have the talent. And it will be harder with an average QB, even if it can be done (Trent Dilfer).

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"Overlord" wrote:

Great post, but a question for you then. If you have a truly great coach whom can visualize what the strengths and weaknesses of his quarterbacks and the talent around him are, can't he take that average QB and make him successful within the offense?

Take Kurt Warner as an example, he doesn't have great talent, however when teamed with Martz whom utilized his strengths and the talent around him to make the greatest show on turf. Or Norm Chow, BTW who got released today, who took a rookie running QB and made him successful enough to win rookie of the year and put the Titans into the playoffs.

To me.. it takes both to make the wheels go round and round.. a great QB can't make up for a poor coach and a great coach can't make an offense run without a legit QB that in the very least carries out the gameplan. IMO.. they need to be on the same page and understanding within the offense.

jmcdon00 is online now Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I'll break from the pack and give an answer.

Quarterback is more important. Great players will find a way to make big plays, regardless of who the coach is. I would rather have a top 5 QB and the 100th ranked coach versus a top 5 coach and the 100th ranked QB.

Quarterbacks make a heck of alot more money, so they have more value.

Look at the patriots, they have arguably the best coach and qb. If you take Tom Brady off of that team and put in a undrafted rookie qb as the starter they probably don't win 8 games. If you replace billichick with a first year nfl coach(college coach) I would guess they would still win between 12-16 games, of course that doesn't mean anything because it is only a guess.

"pack93z" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:

Great post, but a question for you then. If you have a truly great coach whom can visualize what the strengths and weaknesses of his quarterbacks and the talent around him are, can't he take that average QB and make him successful within the offense?

Take Kurt Warner as an example, he doesn't have great talent, however when teamed with Martz whom utilized his strengths and the talent around him to make the greatest show on turf. Or Norm Chow, BTW who got released today, who took a rookie running QB and made him successful enough to win rookie of the year and put the Titans into the playoffs.

To me.. it takes both to make the wheels go round and round.. a great QB can't make up for a poor coach and a great coach can't make an offense run without a legit QB that in the very least carries out the gameplan. IMO.. they need to be on the same page and understanding within the offense.
    Actually it's a moronic discussion. But then this is what we are here for.

I could argue for both sides - see above. But lets just agree once and for all that if you want to win, what you want is a good QB AND a good coach

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

It's all in your beliefs and perception, there is no right or wrong answer here.

Some great QB's have made coaches look good.

Some great coaches have made QB's look good.

A coach has to coach the entire team, a QB has to run the offense.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    It's all in your beliefs and perception, there is no right or wrong answer here.

Some great QB's have made coaches look good.

Some great coaches have made QB's look good.

A coach has to coach the entire team, a QB has to run the offense.
    There is a correct answer:
    Everyone is an idiot.
    If we weren't this discussion would not be happening.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast