Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 78
  1. #11
    MensaTice's Avatar
    MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,799

    Re: what is the greatest rivalry in sports?

    "AWZeus" wrote:
    How often has Mizzou-Kansas had any impact on the national champion?
    =Z=
    yes I was talking about Div 1-A.

    The thread is greatest rivalry in sports. Not which FOOTBALL rivalry has the biggest impact on a national level. No rivarly in sports has the history of the KU/mu rivalry. Also, as I said, with the exception of basketball (which KU has had more of a national impact than any other program-James Naismith, Dean Smith, Adolph Rupp, Phog Allen, etc...) the record in every sport between KU/mu is close. Close games and pure hatred makes a great rivalry. Add the bloody history between the two states and in my opinion, its the greatest rivalry.

    I'm just responding to the title of the thread. I never said biggest, just best.

    [color=red]

  2. #12
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: what is the greatest rivalry in sports?

    "MensaTice" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    How often has Mizzou-Kansas had any impact on the national champion?
    =Z=
    yes I was talking about Div 1-A.

    The thread is greatest rivalry in sports. Not which FOOTBALL rivalry has the biggest impact on a national level. No rivarly in sports has the history of the KU/mu rivalry. Also, as I said, with the exception of basketball (which KU has had more of a national impact than any other program-James Naismith, Dean Smith, Adolph Rupp, Phog Allen, etc...) the record in every sport between KU/mu is close. Close games and pure hatred makes a great rivalry. Add the bloody history between the two states and in my opinion, its the greatest rivalry.

    I'm just responding to the title of the thread. I never said biggest, just best.
    Say WHAT? How easily you toss off the NATIONAL IMPACT which rivalries like Harvard-Yale or Army-Navy had on the entire country back when no one gave a rat's tushie about college basketball.

    I grew up in Big-8 country, so I'm not just some eastern doofus who has no clue about things. But you have to look beyond your personal bias and consider the big picture to label something as the "Greatest".

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  3. #13
    MensaTice's Avatar
    MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,799

    Re: what is the greatest rivalry in sports?

    By history I'm talking about bloodshed. The beauty of rivalries is what it means to each side. You clearly have a different interpretation of rivalry than I and thats fine. For me, I could care less about the importance of a game on a national level as it pertains to a rivalry. The Vikes/pack doesn't mean d!ck to the rest of the country but its still one of the best in the NFL.

    [color=red]

  4. #14
    Benet's Avatar
    Benet is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,976

    Re: what is the greatest rivalry in sports?

    "MensaTice" wrote:
    By history I'm talking about bloodshed. The beauty of rivalries is what it means to each side
    I can't believe you guys.

    Seriously, you're so insular it's not even funny.

    You want a rivalry that means the most to the fans of either team? You want history? You want "bloodshed"?

    Two words.

    [size=26px]England. Germany.[/size]

    End. Of.

  5. #15
    PurplePeopleEaters's Avatar
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,901

    Re: what is the greatest rivalry in sports?

    Well if you're talking about quality of games and how close the series is all time than you can't get much better than Vikings vs. Packers. It's almost tied all time. That's pretty awesome. Every game in the last 2 years except for the playoff game has come down to a field goal for the win.

  6. #16
    Prophet Guest

    Re: what is the greatest rivalry in sports?

    "AWZeus" wrote:
    ...you have to look beyond your personal bias and consider the big picture to label something as the "Greatest".
    =Z=
    True. Everywhere I've lived there are people that think their local rivalry is the greatest. Iowa State vs U. of Iowa, Mississippis State vs U. of MS, Vikings vs Packers, etc. There are many great rivalries that run deep. People that are 90 yrs old won't let you on their farm if you're driving a university truck that has the wrong colors on it.

    That aside there are only a few national rivalries that are well known to the average person. I would say the Yankees/Red sox is one of them.

    This is the first time I've lived in the SE U.S. Football is a religion here. I've lived in the ACC, Big 8, WAC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac-10, and SEC regions of the country and from my experiences I would say that the SEC has the most die-hard football fans in the nation. Lot of talent coming out of this pool and saturating the NFL and nation's colleges. People are truly fanatics in this part of the country. My wife was almost killed by a contractor that said he was from the 'home of Bear Bryant' and she said, "Who's Bear Bryant?" LMAO. Fun. There, done with my myopic tanget.

  7. #17
    Prophet Guest

    Re: what is the greatest rivalry in sports?

    "Benet" wrote:
    "MensaTice" wrote:
    By history I'm talking about bloodshed. The beauty of rivalries is what it means to each side
    I can't believe you guys.

    Seriously, you're so insular it's not even funny.

    You want a rivalry that means the most to the fans of either team? You want history? You want "bloodshed"?

    Two words.

    [size=26px]England. Germany.[/size]

    End. Of.
    Or El Salvador/Honduras soccer game that started a war between the two countries. That trumps the trivial rivalry bullshit between teams that don't 'like' each other.

  8. #18
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: what is the greatest rivalry in sports?

    "Benet" wrote:
    "MensaTice" wrote:
    By history I'm talking about bloodshed. The beauty of rivalries is what it means to each side
    I can't believe you guys.

    Seriously, you're so insular it's not even funny.

    You want a rivalry that means the most to the fans of either team? You want history? You want "bloodshed"?

    Two words.

    England. Germany.

    End. Of.
    Pshaw. England-Germany isn't even as good of a rivalry as France-Germany. Alsace-Lorraine? Maginot Line?

    I'd even suggest that US-England is a big rivalry - if Tony Blair wasn't Bush's lapdog.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  9. #19
    mr.woo's Avatar
    mr.woo is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,213

    Re: what is the greatest rivalry in sports?

    yeah espn showing the love for ohio state/michigan....that is definitly the most intense. no other team can have a losing record and still have a succseful season if they beat there rival but those two. it also works theother way. good succseful coaches have been fired cause they cant beat there schools most bitter enemy
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

  10. #20
    tjohnson's Avatar
    tjohnson is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    552

    Re: what is the greatest rivalry in sports?

    sox/yanks........easy

    How do ya like them apples?!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What are the greatest sports Jerseys/Uniforms of All-Time?
    By oaklandzoo24 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 01-09-2010, 09:46 AM
  2. THE BEST RIVALRY IN SPORTS IS...
    By STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES in forum College Ball
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 11:42 PM
  3. Greatest three-peats in sports
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-20-2008, 04:18 PM
  4. Best Rivalry in Sports
    By JohnnyBGoode in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-15-2005, 03:10 PM
  5. Greatest sports practical joke ever?
    By whackthepack in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 06:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •