Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

What it feels like to be released

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/08/26/cuts/index.html

[size=12pt]What it feels like to be released[/size]
    Ross Tucker
    Posted: Wednesday August 27, 2008 10:21AM; Updated: Wednesday August 27, 2008 2:27PM

There are very few phone calls during our existence that are truly life-altering. For no fewer than 1,000 players on the cut line, one of those calls could be coming on Saturday, when NFL teams have to cut their rosters to 53 players. Take it from a guy who's been there, it is utterly amazing how disappointing a two-minute conversation can be.

Once you get the call and realize your fate is sealed, the rest of the process is just a formality. There is typically a check-out procedure, during which you hand in your equipment and playbook and sign-off on your health status with the trainers. The only thing left after that is the conversation.

There is a certain indignity to sitting in a room with a dozen other guys, waiting to speak with the head coach. It feels as if you are on death row, just biding your time before meeting the executioner.
    Harsh article.
    But great insight.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: What it feels like to be released

Yes, it would suck to get that close....yet, not make the team and to some, end their NFL career.
    There are few careers that offer such a drastic change in salary potential.
    Let's see, I make the team and I make millions, I don't, and this sociology degree should bring me in a cool $30k/year if I'm lucky.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Excellent read my friend.

I estimate that 75 percent of those who get cut on Saturday will feel as if they got a raw deal and they either should have made the team or were never given a real opportunity. The cold truth is it doesn't matter; their teams decided that keeping them was not in the best interests of the organization. A large percentage, maybe 90 percent of the cut players, will stay in shape in case a team wants to sign them later or bring them in for a workout.

For close to 99 percent of those players, that call will never come.
    Harsh.....

Anyone watch the show "Making the Team" (or something like that) about the KC Chiefs.
    I think they are doing one on Dallas this year.

Anyway, I felt sorry for the guys that made the final cut and then after the staff saw a guy they liked on another team (Thygpen) hanging out there, they released him to make room for Tyler.
    Unfortunately that happened after they went shopping for furniture.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    Yes, it would suck to get that close....yet, not make the team and to some, end their NFL career.
    Let's see, I make the team and I make millions, I don't, and this sociology degree should bring me in a cool $30k/year if I'm lucky.
    Yeah, kinda like...let's see, if I would have just gotten 23 instead of 24, this lottery ticket would be worth $150 million instead of $100,000.
    That's life, I don't feel sorry for those guys.
    Heck, they got a whole lot closer to it than we ever will.
    Just goes to show that everyone should always have a Plan B.

Even superstars can get smacked down.
    Look at Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...he had to play an extra 5 years or so because his former financial advisor cleaned him out and left him broke.
    There are no guarantees in life...except for taxes and death, of course.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

"Marrdro" wrote:

I estimate that 75 percent of those who get cut on Saturday will feel as if they got a raw deal and they either should have made the team or were never given a real opportunity. The cold truth is it doesn't matter; their teams decided that keeping them was not in the best interests of the organization. A large percentage, maybe 90 percent of the cut players, will stay in shape in case a team wants to sign them later or bring them in for a workout.

Harsh.....

Anyone watch the show "Making the Team" (or something like that) about the KC Chiefs.

Anyway, I felt sorry for the guys that made the final cut and then after the staff saw a guy they liked on another team (Thygpen) hanging out there, they released him to make room for Tyler.
    ;D
    The show is called HBO Hardknocks. It's a very interesting show about the inner-workings of an NFL team in training camp. They did the show on the Chiefs...Jags...Ravens and probably more that I've forgotten....they are currently doing the show on the Cowboys (who I can't stand BTW) Jerry Jones has his ugly in the camera more than I care for...its still interesting no matter how much I hate the Boys.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Yeah, kinda like...let's see, if I would have just gotten 23 instead of 24, this lottery ticket would be worth $150 million instead of $100,000.
    That's life, I don't feel sorry for those guys.
    Heck, they got a whole lot closer to it than we ever will.
    Just goes to show that everyone should always have a Plan B.

Even superstars can get smacked down.
    Look at Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...he had to play an extra 5 years or so because his former financial advisor cleaned him out and left him broke.
    There are no guarantees in life...except for taxes and death, of course.
    Yes, need alternate plans.
    For the record, I have never, nor will I ever feel sorry for guys that get paid to play a game.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jdvike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Harsh.....

;D
    The show is called HBO Hardknocks. It's a very interesting show about the inner-workings of an NFL team in training camp. They did the show on the Chiefs...Jags...Ravens and probably more that I've forgotten....they are currently doing the show on the Cowboys (who I can't stand BTW) Jerry Jones has his ugly in the camera more than I care for...its still interesting no matter how much I hate the Boys.

Thanks my friend.

Additionally, I liked the scene when they were making the cuts.
    Of course I found it humorous on who lead the discussions/made the final decisions.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I released a fart just now...and it felt good!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    I knew I smelled something

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Waaaaaaaayyyyy TMI
    :-X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast