Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    What Does the Route Tree Look Like

    route-tree.jpg

    Just in case anyone was wondering, this is what I'm talking about when I use a number on a WR's route.

    Some people like this one though because it includes the TE tree along with the WR tree

    route_tree_wc.jpg
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #2
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916
    Some offenses changes things here or there, like a 1 for us was a hitch, 5 a Curl. Still good info.

  3. #3
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	route-tree.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	486

    Just in case anyone was wondering, this is what I'm talking about when I use a number on a WR's route.

    Some people like this one though because it includes the TE tree along with the WR tree

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Route_Tree_WC.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	487
    In looking at that chart I would normally comment that it looks like the tree needs a little fertilizer but when considering the source I am more than sure you have more than enough of that.

  4. #4
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    In looking at that chart I would normally comment that it looks like the tree needs a little fertilizer but when considering the source I am more than sure you have more than enough of that.
    LOL.....Well played, well played indeed.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #5
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Some offenses changes things here or there, like a 1 for us was a hitch, 5 a Curl. Still good info.
    I never noticed that.

    Thats why I thought I would throw it out there. Of the 5 or 6 variants, I think this one is the closest to what we run and the one I use the most.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #6
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,459
    Those are the basics. Having receivers remember that the "odd man out" rule applies, and that larger generally is deeper, makes it easier to remember.

    One needs to consider that not all routes stay on the "trunk". Some route trees differentiate a "go" from a "fly" based on proximity to the sideline or numbers even though both are a "9" on a standard route tree. Some routes have a move or double move as well.

  7. #7
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Those are the basics. Having receivers remember that the "odd man out" rule applies, and that larger generally is deeper, makes it easier to remember.

    One needs to consider that not all routes stay on the "trunk". Some route trees differentiate a "go" from a "fly" based on proximity to the sideline or numbers even though both are a "9" on a standard route tree. Some routes have a move or double move as well.
    Love the double move comment. Never even thought of that or took it into consideration...

    Just did some digging and pretty much everything said this....

    Before we get into the actual routes, we need to know when the WR is going to break. And outside of the 3-step game (Slant, Flat), every route breaks at a depth of 12-15 yards. Why is that important? Double moves. If you are playing defensive back and see the WR stutter his feet at a depth of 8-yards, expect him to get vertical up the field—because there isn’t a route that breaks at 8-yards. However, remember one very important detail: if the WR doesn’t break his route between a depth of 12-15 yards, you better open your hips and run. Because he is running straight down the field.
    Inside the playbook: the NFL route tree | National Football Post
    Something I'm going to watch for this year. Again, great stuff my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •