Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

What Does the Route Tree Look Like

route-tree.jpg

Just in case anyone was wondering, this is what I'm talking about when I use a number on a WR's route.

Some people like this one though because it includes the TE tree along with the WR tree

route_tree_wc.jpg
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Some offenses changes things here or there, like a 1 for us was a hitch, 5 a Curl. Still good info.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	route-tree.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	486

Just in case anyone was wondering, this is what I'm talking about when I use a number on a WR's route.

Some people like this one though because it includes the TE tree along with the WR tree

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Route_Tree_WC.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	487
    In looking at that chart I would normally comment that it looks like the tree needs a little fertilizer but when considering the source I am more than sure you have more than enough of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    In looking at that chart I would normally comment that it looks like the tree needs a little fertilizer but when considering the source I am more than sure you have more than enough of that.
    LOL.....Well played, well played indeed.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Some offenses changes things here or there, like a 1 for us was a hitch, 5 a Curl. Still good info.
    I never noticed that.

Thats why I thought I would throw it out there. Of the 5 or 6 variants, I think this one is the closest to what we run and the one I use the most.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Those are the basics. Having receivers remember that the "odd man out" rule applies, and that larger generally is deeper, makes it easier to remember.

One needs to consider that not all routes stay on the "trunk". Some route trees differentiate a "go" from a "fly" based on proximity to the sideline or numbers even though both are a "9" on a standard route tree. Some routes have a move or double move as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Those are the basics. Having receivers remember that the "odd man out" rule applies, and that larger generally is deeper, makes it easier to remember.

One needs to consider that not all routes stay on the "trunk". Some route trees differentiate a "go" from a "fly" based on proximity to the sideline or numbers even though both are a "9" on a standard route tree. Some routes have a move or double move as well.
    Love the double move comment. Never even thought of that or took it into consideration...

Just did some digging and pretty much everything said this....

Before we get into the actual routes, we need to know when the WR is going to break. And outside of the 3-step game (Slant, Flat), every route breaks at a depth of 12-15 yards. Why is that important? Double moves. If you are playing defensive back and see the WR stutter his feet at a depth of 8-yards, expect him to get vertical up the field—because there isn’t a route that breaks at 8-yards. However, remember one very important detail: if the WR doesn’t break his route between a depth of 12-15 yards, you better open your hips and run. Because he is running straight down the field.
    Inside the playbook: the NFL route tree | National Football Post
    Something I'm going to watch for this year. Again, great stuff my friend.