Marrdro wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Might be worth noting...... We don`t play on astroturf anymore.
    I think I need to start a thread........"Who is the biggest PPO Nitpicker"
    would be nitpicking if field-turf had the issues that astroturf did. Its not quite as forgiving as grass, but the majority of nfl stadiums have some type of turf now.

and like Mr. A said, its a bleacher report article.
    I think that he got his point across in a manner that could be understood though?

Because we don't play on natural grass, it should be a concern if we sign him.
    It's not a concern though. Read my post 3 above this, FieldTurf is as safe, if not safer than natural grass.
    I was getting to ya.........Hold your horses my friend. Hold your horses..... :woohoo:

Never really put that much thought into it, but do you really think that it is safer than grass? If so, is that because of the little rubber stuff imbedded in the turf?

I know the players love it, but my assumption was, and still is, that if they don't have the right shoe on, they can still get injured quicker than they could on real dirt/grass.
    http://www.fieldturf.com/football/safety/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGAhxJq4OK8
    Yes.
    Can't see the youtube, but thanks for the link.

I can honestly say I am suprised by this. I knew the players liked playing on it, but really thought that it was because of the "speed" thing.

Thanks Mr. A. Just started a whole new spreadsheet for ya.
    Um... actually, you might be right Marrdro.

Thought you might find this interesting:

League panel finds some injuries more common on FieldTurf

NEW YORK (AP) -- An NFL panel found that certain serious knee and ankle injuries happen more often in games played on the most popular brand of artificial turf than on grass.

The league's Injury and Safety Panel is presenting its study Friday at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons in New Orleans.

Continue...
    Interesting. They have to release this two days after I convince Marrdro :lol:

It's a report from 2002-2008, when it was becoming popular, meaning the teams likely knew less about the surface they were about to play on. Do they take into account whether it's a home or away team, does it consider if the away team plays on grass or turf at their home field? Is said away team prepared to play on a different surface?

You have to wear shorter cleats on turf, because it's more easily penetrable(insert joke here.) Being more penetrable makes it easier for cleats to release as well as enter, since it's a loose surface with no root system, there's nothing for them to catch on, but when you plant and push down on it, it acts like grass, but it's easier to move laterally through the surface without getting caught.

I played on grass for 2 years and turf for one in high school and really preferred the turf.

And this report only mentions ACL and a particular type of ankle sprain. No other injuries, especially those which are caused by impact with the surface, which I'm confident are far less frequent on fieldturf.

The study estimated that if every stadium with grass were to switch to FieldTurf, that would result in only five additional ACL injuries per season across the NFL because of the infrequency of the injury.
    I found that article quite interesting. Its almost like the writers have some vendetta against field turf.

My comment is as follows: What seems to be the injury that teams are being the most careful about these days? ACL`s happen all the time, Knee and Ankle will happen regardless of whetehr you play on turf or grass. If your foot is planted and some dumbass backup safety bullrushes your femur, it will break regardless of the surface. However, concussions seem to be ever more important these days. The study that Mr. A showed seemed to focus on HS and College, as the NFL study mentioned. I guess its plausable that less collision based injuries will happen there.

My question to you is, how many ex football stars do you see wheeling around because they blew their knee out? Probaly a few, but relatively little compared to the ex-football stars dying in their 50`s and 60`s due to repeated head trauma. If I were the NFL, I`d be more concerned with concussions than acl`s(and they seem to be)

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re:Westbrook or LT

Mr Anderson wrote:
    You have to wear shorter cleats on turf, because it's more easily penetrable(insert joke here.)
    (egm...)

No wonder Ben Roethlisburger prefers playing on it.

Tiger Woods helped design it, but then sent a text message saying he wanted his name taken off.

Scientists are researching the walls of Lindsay Lohan's vag to see if an even more penetrable surface can be created.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

To add my two cents to where LT will end up, I would love him here as I think his demise was greatly exaggerated especially since he bounced back towards the end of the season.

The sad news is, I think he chooses the Jets. I think a part of LT is chasing history. He is 8th all time and has a chance to make his mark

Yards
    12490 - LT

18,355 - Emmitt Smith,
    16,726 - Walter Payton
    15,269 Barry Sanders

He is 2779 from Barry and I believe he thinks he can play for 3 more season. Under the Jets if Green faulters and he out plays him, he would be inline to start. I believe LT thinks he can Break 1000 yards 2 times and then gain 800 yards 1 more time. Playing under AP, he will never have that chance,the best he can hope for is 3 great seasons at around 600 yards. If I am chasing history and I am in LT's position I take the chance to beat out a good young player vs. the greek god that is Peterson. I hope I'm wrong.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

kevoncox wrote:
    To add my two cents to where LT will end up, I would love him here as I think his demise was greatly exaggerated especially since he bounced back towards the end of the season.

The sad news is, I think he chooses the Jets. I think a part of LT is chasing history. He is 8th all time and has a chance to make his mark

Yards
    12490 - LT

18,355 - Emmitt Smith,
    16,726 - Walter Payton
    15,269 Barry Sanders

He is 2779 from Barry and I believe he thinks he can play for 3 more season. Under the Jets if Green faulters and he out plays him, he would be inline to start. I believe LT thinks he can Break 1000 yards 2 times and then gain 800 yards 1 more time. Playing under AP, he will never have that chance,the best he can hope for is 3 great seasons at around 600 yards. If I am chasing history and I am in LT's position I take the chance to beat out a good young player vs. the greek god that is Peterson. I hope I'm wrong.
    Good point dude, I hadn't considered that.

Where've you been lately? Haven't seen many posts from you.

Or are we just posting in different threads?

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

I've been busy with life. I'm started a new job with the NIH and I'm going back to School for to be an RN. I have dreams of being a CRNA and this is the first step. I've also been hitting the gym 5 days a week to get back into football shape. I'm currently 240lbs....a far cry from the 200lbs I played at.
    I've been reading but not posting.

Study finds ACL injuries more common on FieldTurf

Not sure how this thread is merged with the field turf deal but I am sure that everyone will have a great time with the above link.........

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Marrdro wrote:
    Thanks for the read Z.......As usual, couple of comments....

Both the Jets and Vikings have quality, Pro Bowl-decorated offensive lines, which help power successful running games.
    I'd take the Jets OL over our any day of the week.

What if L.T. signs with Minnesota based on the belief the Favre-led Vikings are better championship timber than the Jets, and then finds out in August that his very small Super Bowl window of opportunity is now in the hands of Tarvaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels? There's no such question in New York, where we're pretty sure Sanchez isn't retiring for a while.
    Does anyone think this wasn't discussed at length? My guess, the FO pukes offered up thier plans at QB for next year.

If he elects to sign with us I am sure he will have bought off on the team both with and without the Noodle.
    Actually, if the Favre does retire, the LT will most likely become a bigger part of the gameplan!! As we go back to a more traditional run first offense...

And, while Sanchez started much better than expected, he is still a young, raw talent, and now that his opponents have a whole year of tape to watch, he's going to find defenses have a better plan to stop him. I'll go out on a limb and say that I'd rather have TJ than Sanchez ATM...especailly given the rest of the talent around them!!

Sure, the JEts get the edge on OL. But AP > all three of their guys and Rice + Harvin is better than Did-That-Go-Thru-My-Hands-again Braylon and Dustin!! :blink:

LOL!! I crack me up today! :silly: :laugh: :P
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314