Detroit (0-4)
    31-tie.
    Tennessee (0-4)

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Del Rio Guest

Re: Week 4 - Power Poll

Wow look at the Rams!

I guess if they play the Pats or the Bengals, Steelers, Cowboys........ I'll have to put some money down.

I bet college football drives you nuts. The rankings, the difficulty of opponent score.......you probably pull your hair out.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

why college football is oh so simple. as long as the preseason number 1 and 2 go undefeated nobody else even has a shot of the title game. and if they lose one they will drop down a few but still be ahead of aboput 5 undefeateds.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    Wow look at the Rams!

I guess if they play the Pats or the Bengals, Steelers, Cowboys........ I'll have to put some money down.

I bet college football drives you nuts. The rankings, the difficulty of opponent score.......you probably pull your hair out.
    Not at all.
    The polls are a part of the formula for deciding the national champion, so they have significance.
    I think they are very skewed towards the six power conferences, so that can be annoying when good teams (like the Utes in 2004 or Boise this year) can barely crack the top 10, but what are you gonna do?

What drives me nuts about college football (at the Div-IA level) is the way the bowls have the schools in their hip pockets so bad that they won't even consider a TRUE tournament to decide the national champion.
    Somehow, it works at every other level but wouldn't work for Div-IA?
    That's horse-hockey.

=Z=

Del Rio Guest

"mr.woo" wrote:
    why college football is oh so simple. as long as the preseason number 1 and 2 go undefeated nobody else even has a shot of the title game. and if they lose one they will drop down a few but still be ahead of aboput 5 undefeateds.
    Not nearly as simple as looking at a record and lining them up as is done here. I guess it would be simple if you want to do a power ranking of the #1 and #2, but it gets complicated when you go down the list.

"Del" wrote:
    "mr.woo" wrote:
    Not nearly as simple as looking at a record and lining them up as is done here. I guess it would be simple if you want to do a power ranking of the #1 and #2, but it gets complicated when you go down the list.
    He is right, tho, if the #1 and #2 (let's say it's OSU and USC) go undefeated, they are likely to never move from the top spot in the polls.
    The computer models will also probably keep them there, because it over-rates the SOS of the power conference opponents.
    I mean - come on - is there a worse team in the land than Illinois...err...Michigan State....errr...Indiana?

=Z=

Del Rio Guest

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "mr.woo" wrote:
    He is right, tho, if the #1 and #2 (let's say it's OSU and USC) go undefeated, they are likely to never move from the top spot in the polls.
    The computer models will also probably keep them there, because it over-rates the SOS of the power conference opponents.
    I mean - come on - is there a worse team in the land than Illinois...err...Michigan State....errr...Indiana?

=Z=
    Oh yeah I agree no doubt. That accounts for two teams though. There are many more teams in college football then two. You can be a podunk div 1 school lose no games and go unoticed. That wouldn't fly in Awzeus rankings.

"Del" wrote:
    Oh yeah I agree no doubt. That accounts for two teams though. There are many more teams in college football then two. You can be a podunk div 1 school lose no games and go unoticed. That wouldn't fly in Awzeus rankings.
    That's true, for sure.

Let me ask you this - if there WAS a playoff in Div-IA football - would you want to take a 10-1 team (say - Auburn) up to Boise to play the Broncos on the blue field of death in a first-round playoff game?

=Z=

Del Rio Guest

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    That's true, for sure.

Let me ask you this - if there WAS a playoff in Div-IA football - would you want to take a 10-1 team (say - Auburn) up to Boise to play the Broncos on the blue field of death in a first-round playoff game?

=Z=
    I would want it to be damn near like basketball. Sorry to say, that is just too entertaining to pass up.