Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Webb could make it 60 NFL QB changes

Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1085408
    b. Defensive schemes to counter the spread. Been harping on it all year. Watch the league. All defenses do now is single up on the outside and flood the gaps. If they find a runner they tackle him. If they don't they move on to the QB. Hell, most teams don't even disguise it anymore. They just bring it.
    And why is this so effective against the Vikings?

We have zero players who can consistently protect the QB.
    I still say you don't watch the Vikings much and I am 100% convinced you don't watch any other games other than the Vikings.......

Do you know who Gil Brandt is?

"I think what's happening is you're seeing a lot more blitzing and it's harder for people to block those blitzes," said Sirius NFL Radio host Gil Brandt, a former Dallas Cowboys executive. "There are also more speedy, athletic guys rushing the passer, and with all these sophisticated blitzes and guys playing them, teams aren't always picking up those schemes."
    In 2010, NFL QB carousel is spinning at a dizzying pace

As I said in my post, it isn't just the Vikings, all teams are struggling with this. The Vikings today, are ranked 20th in DVOA (Pass protection) and thats with two backup gaurds playing the last couple of weeks.

Regular season totals, through Week 15

When Herrera and Hutch were both in there we were ranked 12th.

We have pass protection issues and it isn't just the OL that is the problem. It starts with the OL, trickles down to the package (and plays) sent in, is compounded by the pre-snap read and follow-on adjustments off of that read and then the execution.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Minniman" #1085443
    Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1085408
    b. Defensive schemes to counter the spread. Been harping on it all year. Watch the league. All defenses do now is single up on the outside and flood the gaps. If they find a runner they tackle him. If they don't they move on to the QB. Hell, most teams don't even disguise it anymore. They just bring it.
    And why is this so effective against the Vikings?

We have zero players who can consistently protect the QB.
    Defensive players are bigger, faster, and stronger than ever. Once they started making six million dollars or more each season, we should have seen this coming. Quarterbacks have less time to react than in seasons years ago.
    Bingo.....Someone with a clue. Excellent post my friend.

As far as the Vikings go, the offense is designed to get the quarterback killed.
    If you are referring to the WCO scheme, yes, you are correct. The QB in this scheme will get hit alot. Its the nature of the scheme, but there are ways to limit those hits and that is to get rid of the ball quickly.

Thats why its important for a WCO QB to have a quick release. Guys like Leftwhich, who has a slow windup/delivery just can't run the scheme.

When the fullback consistently routes to the flat while the tight end is in a pattern, it means the quarterback will need every linemen to make a perfect block and hope the blitz is not coming. We know the blitz will come and offensive linemen cannot handle defenders on every play, so the Vikings will fail more times than not - especially on third and long when extra pressure will almost certainly come.
    I almost agree with you here, however, with the FB in the flats and a TE in a route, they are the places we should be going with the ball. Instead we see our QB's holding it for the deeper routes.

Absolutely mind numbing to watch it happen.

If they would start to hit those guys alot more often, it would not only slow the pass rush down, it would negate it to the point our QB's wouldn't get hit as much.

For that matter, our offense would be effective again. Look at the game after PatsRandy was shitcanned. The Noodle dinked and dunked to his best career passing game (yards) and Monday night we saw Percy take one to the house that was a throw from the Noodle that maybe went 1 yard forward of the line of scrimmage.

Why we are looking deep all the time just mystifies me.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1085448
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1085380
    Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1085371
    60 starting QBs this year? That is crazy to even think about. That means each team switched at least once. Some teams have done it three times or more (carolina, pittsburgh)
    Sure seems like we break them faster than we grow them.

But hey, there are a few on here who say our OL is for shit. There just flat out silly huh. :laugh:
    Even if they could grow on trees, they would die in the harsh Minnesota winner. That is why we have to import. Cannot home grow.
    LOL, well played my friend.

Think about it though. Who was the last QB groomed by the Vikings? Pepp. Look back before him. Brad Johnson in 92 (for those who track, I think he was a 7th or 8th round draft pick by the by). Maybe you could lump a Kramer or a Wilson in there but you really have to look deep to see were the Vikings have ever "Grown" a QB.

Probably why us fans don't understand the growing pains that are associated with it.

Something to think about......Is Eli a bad QB or is he still learning?

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1085480
    60 starting QBs this year? That is crazy to even think about. That means each team switched at least once. Some teams have done it three times or more (carolina, pittsburgh)

But hey, there are a few on here who say our OL is for shit. There just flat out silly huh. :laugh:
    Even if they could grow on trees, they would die in the harsh Minnesota winner. That is why we have to import. Cannot home grow.

Think about it though. Who was the last QB groomed by the Vikings? Pepp. Look back before him. Brad Johnson in 92 (for those who track, I think he was a 7th or 8th round draft pick by the by). Maybe you could lump a Kramer or a Wilson in there but you really have to look deep to see were the Vikings have ever "Grown" a QB.

Probably why us fans don't understand the growing pains that are associated with it.

Eli is not that bad. He has a ring. The pains of him now and before are worth it for that ring. That's all I really want.
    We're bringing purple back.

Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1085580
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1085480

Eli is not that bad. He has a ring. The pains of him now and before are worth it for that ring. That's all I really want.
    I think you could find some out there that would be pretty hard on him considering that he leads the league in turnovers (INT's/Fumbles).

My guess, his play is gonna get his SB winning HC fired this year.

Doesn't mean that I don't like him. Just means that it takes time for these guys to eventually hit thier prime.

Elis problem is that he can't throw the ball in the cold very well. He needs to go to a team that doesn't play outside very much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12