Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Webb could make it 60 NFL QB changes

Joe Webb was expected to start on Monday night, but Brett Favreís rise from the ashes kept Webb out of the starterís circle this year. This week, Webb could make it 60 different starting quarterbacks in the league.

Cue the calliope music, the quarterback carousel is spinning in 2010. Seemingly, it's spinning at warp-speed.

Only the 11th-hour decision by Brett Favre to start in Monday night's game - some would suggest a misguided notion, after Favre left the frigid contest in the second quarter, suffering a potentially career-ending concussion - precluded rookie Joe Webb from becoming the 60th different quarterback to start a game this year.
    That's one of the alterations to the game, along with the relentless attack on the pocket that defensive coordinators have unleashed, a "kill the quarterback" philosophy that's been even more obvious the last few seasons. Time was when a coach would stick with his starter through some bad times, but that isn't necessarily the case anymore.

Of the 51 switches this season, with two games remaining on the schedule, 11 were made (unofficially at least) for what might be termed "competitive reasons."
    Webb could make it 60 NFL QB changes
    Time to put a red jersey on them. :laugh:

JK, I still marvel how bad the QB situation is around the league. Look at the poor PUKERS. The loss of thier starter probably cost them a playoff berth.

The loss of VY and injury to Collins probably did the same to the Titans. (I blame PatsRandys arrival :P )

The 49r's brought in a kid off the streets.

Cards are still shuffling that mess up there.

Because this is supposed to be a "QB driven League" you would think that they could figure out some way to get more viable options on the field instead of what we are forced to look at now.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Webb could make it 60 NFL QB changes

60 starting QBs this year? That is crazy to even think about. That means each team switched at least once. Some teams have done it three times or more (carolina, pittsburgh)
    We're bringing purple back.

Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1085371
    60 starting QBs this year? That is crazy to even think about. That means each team switched at least once. Some teams have done it three times or more (carolina, pittsburgh)
    Sure seems like we break them faster than we grow them.

But hey, there are a few on here who say our OL is for shit. There just flat out silly huh. :laugh:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

This is clearly a function of the increased emphasis on disabling the QB as a strategy to win.

If not checked, it will ruin football.

Our OL is one of the worst ever. The only reason we haven't gone through more QBs this year is Favre's incredible toughness.

I only hope that the promising young Joe Webb is not ruined before he gets a fair chance.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1085391
    This is clearly a function of the increased emphasis on disabling the QB as a strategy to win.

If not checked, it will ruin football.

Our OL is one of the worst ever. The only reason we haven't gone through more QBs this year is Favre's incredible toughness.

I only hope that the promising young Joe Webb is not ruined before he gets a fair chance.
    Well I wouldn't go as far as to say that teams have come up with some new strategy of getting the best player off the field. If memory serves they've been doing it for alot of years.

What I think we are seeing is the fallout from two different aspects.....

a. Uneducated QB's. We are seeing more and more of a shift from the QB's that were brought up to be pocket passers who could read a defense to a bunch of youngsters that now only know how to read a defense as it relates to the spread offense.

b. Defensive schemes to counter the spread. Been harping on it all year. Watch the league. All defenses do now is single up on the outside and flood the gaps. If they find a runner they tackle him. If they don't they move on to the QB. Hell, most teams don't even disguise it anymore. They just bring it.

Mix in a bit of a shift in the type of TE's (smaller faster can't block) and lack of quality FB's (most teams don't even have one) which even makes your blocking assignments harder and you can see why QB's are getting broke at record rates.

On a side note, we saw Pagac do it a couple of times against the Bores last Monday. I wonder if we will see some more of that type of agression on that side of the ball or will we continue to work the cover 2 with no pressure from or front 4.

Well I wouldn't go as far as to say that teams have come up with some new strategy of getting the best player off the field. If memory serves they've been doing it for alot of years.
    Not "best" player.....key player.

The fact is, they're doing it with increased intensity and focus.

And they're using the helmet more and more to accomplish their goal.
    --John Wooden

b. Defensive schemes to counter the spread. Been harping on it all year. Watch the league. All defenses do now is single up on the outside and flood the gaps. If they find a runner they tackle him. If they don't they move on to the QB. Hell, most teams don't even disguise it anymore. They just bring it.
    And why is this so effective against the Vikings?

We have zero players who can consistently protect the QB.
    --John Wooden

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1085408
    And why is this so effective against the Vikings?

We have zero players who can consistently protect the QB.
    Defensive players are bigger, faster, and stronger than ever. Once they started making six million dollars or more each season, we should have seen this coming. Quarterbacks have less time to react than in seasons years ago.

As far as the Vikings go, the offense is designed to get the quarterback killed. When the fullback consistently routes to the flat while the tight end is in a pattern, it means the quarterback will need every linemen to make a perfect block and hope the blitz is not coming. We know the blitz will come and offensive linemen cannot handle defenders on every play, so the Vikings will fail more times than not - especially on third and long when extra pressure will almost certainly come.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1085380
    Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1085371
    Sure seems like we break them faster than we grow them.

But hey, there are a few on here who say our OL is for shit. There just flat out silly huh. :laugh:
    Even if they could grow on trees, they would die in the harsh Minnesota winner. That is why we have to import. Cannot home grow.
    We're bringing purple back.

Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1085405
    Not "best" player.....key player.

The fact is, they're doing it with increased intensity and focus.

And they're using the helmet more and more to accomplish their goal.
    OK, I can live with key player instead of best player but I'm not sure your discussion point about the helmet is correct.

What QB's have been lost due to helmet to helmet hits? Most of them that involved helmets that I remember just resulted in stitches to the chin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast