Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Weak signals: Several teams face QB issues this offseason

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=yasinskas_pat&id=3254542

In terms of numbers and experience, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers might have the NFL's best quarterback situation, with access to five guys who have started at one point during their pro careers.

Tampa Bay QBs
    The Bucs own the rights to five quarterbacks who have combined to make 274 NFL regular-season starts. Here is the breakdown:

Player Age Starts
    Jake Plummer* 33 136
    Jeff Garcia 37 105
    Chris Simms* 27 15
    Bruce Gradkowski 25 11
    Luke McCown 26 7
    *-Did not play in 2007

But look more closely at the situation before you finish the math.

And of course... ;D

Minnesota Vikings

Jackson
    Quandary: They have one of the game's most explosive players in running back Adrian Peterson but nothing else on offense. Tarvaris Jackson is not the answer.

Solution: McNabb's name also gets floated here because Minnesota coach Brad Childress used to work in Philadelphia. That could be a great solution. But the Vikings are a team that can afford to draft a rookie because Peterson will take away a lot of the pressure.

Interesting takes on several teams QB situations especially the Bears

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Weak signals: Several teams face QB issues this offseason

"Garland" wrote:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=yasinskas_pat&id=3254542

In terms of numbers and experience, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers might have the NFL's best quarterback situation, with access to five guys who have started at one point during their pro careers.

Tampa Bay QBs
    The Bucs own the rights to five quarterbacks who have combined to make 274 NFL regular-season starts. Here is the breakdown:

Player Age Starts
    Jake Plummer* 33 136
    Jeff Garcia 37 105
    Chris Simms* 27 15
    Bruce Gradkowski 25 11
    Luke McCown 26 7
    *-Did not play in 2007

But look more closely at the situation before you finish the math.

And of course... ;D

Minnesota Vikings

Jackson
    Quandary: They have one of the game's most explosive players in running back Adrian Peterson but nothing else on offense. Tarvaris Jackson is not the answer.

Solution: McNabb's name also gets floated here because Minnesota coach Brad Childress used to work in Philadelphia. That could be a great solution. But the Vikings are a team that can afford to draft a rookie because Peterson will take away a lot of the pressure.

Interesting takes on several teams QB situations especially the Bears
    If Ryan or Bohm are available at 17, I think they will at a minimum be considered.
    Especially if both Harvey and Phillips are already gone.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

I would like to see what Chris Simms can do in purple.
    Hopefully the Bucs release him and he is all healed up.
    Gruden seems to love him though, so it might require a trade to get him away.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

SW FL Vike is offline Training Camp

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    I would like to see what Chris Simms can do in purple.
    Hopefully the Bucs release him and he is all healed up.
    Gruden seems to love him though, so it might require a trade to get him away.

Jon Gruden and Chris Simms actually don't like eachother at all..He is expected to be released b/c he is not a good WCO QB....
    He also has had injuries and could not even hardly throw the ball after coming back.

I like Jackson people put him down but if you really think about who does he have to pass to. Our only wr is Bobby Wade... and he is a joke. We need to get Jackson some wepons and then see how good he does

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Very interesting read my friend.
    Thanks.

If this involves giving up any of our top picks (well anyof them for that matter) then it isn't much of a solution if you ask me.

For all you McNabb crotchsniffers I am not doubting his talent or the fact that he would make the team better AT QB, but I am concerned how he will hurt the bigger picture of the team.

Again, probably gonna take a least a 1rst and a 3rd to get him.
    First round picks are usually expected to provide immediate impact either as a starter or as a primary backup.
    A 3rd rounder usually fills the role of a backup/ST player.

If I was calling the shots, I would pass on McNabb, sign another 2nd tier QB to back up TJ, draft a QB someplace on on the second day to develop and hope to pray the Lights come on for TJ this year.

I would then use the 1rst and 3rd round pick on a mix of DE, S, WR or DT, and use the CAP figure he would command to sign some additional FA to shore up a few holes on the team.

Again, thats just me.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks.

If this involves giving up any of our top picks (well anyof them for that matter) then it isn't much of a solution if you ask me.

For all you McNabb crotchsniffers I am not doubting his talent or the fact that he would make the team better AT QB, but I am concerned how he will hurt the bigger picture of the team.

First round picks are usually expected to provide immediate impact either as a starter or as a primary backup.

If I was calling the shots, I would pass on McNabb, sign another 2nd tier QB to back up TJ, draft a QB someplace on on the second day to develop and hope to pray the Lights come on for TJ this year.

I would then use the 1rst and 3rd round pick on a mix of DE, S, WR or DT, and use the CAP figure he would command to sign some additional FA to shore up a few holes on the team.

Again, thats just me.
    ;D
    I pretty much agree with that position. Although IMO they already drafted their QB and have been very much behind him and IMO drafting another one while he is still here is going to cause problems on a few levels. If they still have the confidence in him going into the season to be the starter in the third year of the Reich, then they need to stick all of their development efforts on him
    and then put players behind him who can fill in if he is unable to play but that do not require as much development. He is now coming into the third year of his career and when he was drafted he was considered a three year project. If the scouts are as good as they are hyped and the coaches as good as they are hyped he should be able to play at a high level this year and for many years to come.

If he is not going to cut it as a starter the time to replace him was before last season and if we are going to bring in another rookie to take a gamble on we will be set back another 2 years.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks.

Again, thats just me.

;D
    I pretty much agree with that position. Although IMO they already drafted their QB and have been very much behind him and IMO drafting another one while he is still here is going to cause problems on a few levels. If they still have the confidence in him going into the season to be the starter in the third year of the Reich, then they need to stick all of their development efforts on him
    and then put players behind him who can fill in if he is unable to play but that do not require as much development. He is now coming into the third year of his career and when he was drafted he was considered a three year project. If the scouts are as good as they are hyped and the coaches as good as they are hyped he should be able to play at a high level this year and for many years to come.

If he is not going to cut it as a starter the time to replace him was before last season and if we are going to bring in another rookie to take a gamble on we will be set back another 2 years.
    Very nice.
    I should have clarified one point though.

If they draft a guy (as they did with Thygpen last year) it won't be to push TJ for a starters job this year but rather to be groomed to be a Backup (year or 2) and possibly eventual replacement (3 or 4 years).

Remember, the QB posisition is one that just can't be ignored.
    You might have a guy that is damn good but in 4 years when his contract comes up he might be asking to much or he might get injured or whatever.
    You always have to have the guy sitting on the bench learning so that when the inevitable happens you have a replacement.

It gives you the flexibility to get a guy in the later rounds that has some upside (cheap), groom him and if he doesn't work out in a year or so, you draft another etc etc etc.
    Low cost project, still have a starter in TJ and a Vet backup behind TJ.

Or you could do like the Vikes are doing now, let him learn on the field because you didn't draft a guy and let him learn on the bench.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

"Vikings" wrote:
    I like Jackson people put him down but if you really think about who does he have to pass to. Our only wr is Bobby Wade... and he is a joke. We need to get Jackson some wepons and then see how good he does
    i guess sidney rice is no one
    same thing with allison and ferg.
    nice post

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    "Vikings" wrote:
    i guess sidney rice is no one
    same thing with allison and ferg.
    nice post
    Why would you say B-wade is a joke?

Because he doesn't streak down the side line and beat CB's in jump ball scenarios?
    Maybe its because he only goes across the middle, running precise routes all the while making hard catches in traffic (guys that out weigh him by at least 40lbs).

Could it be that you are a bit confused on what his role is and that is why you call him a joke?

I still find it amazing that after two years of watching this staff find pieces to the puzzle that will eventually comprise the WCO, people still don't understand the basic concepts of it.

Maybe its time to bring up the ole WCO 101 links again.
    Maybe ole B-wade will get a little respect for what he does.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast