Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 23 of 23
  1. #21
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Wade Phillips Says It Takes 4 Years to Judge Coach

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=51243.msg928541#msg928541 date=1238427281]
    [quote author=jmcdon00 link=topic=51243.msg928536#msg928536 date=1238425985]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=51243.msg928531#msg928531 date=1238424397]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=51243.msg928527#msg928527 date=1238422233]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=51243.msg928525#msg928525 date=1238421876]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=51243.msg928521#msg928521 date=1238421511]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=51243.msg928519#msg928519 date=1238421356]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=51243.msg928509#msg928509 date=1238419985]
    Like I said before IMO if Chilly can't win the division or win a playoff game, he is done. Fans will get ugly. That is the laqst thing you need when trying to build a stadium.
    I agree, but don't you think the stadium decision (One way or another) will be done long before the season ends?
    Never said it would. All I am saying is that pissed off fans do not buy tickets. They sit at home a watch for free.
    OK.
    I took the comment (in red) as a end result of 2009-2010 season.

    My guess is Zygi will have made a commitment someplace else if a deal isn't done before the end of this season.

    At that point, it won't matter who is the HC of the team as the new location will be so gol 'darnit glad to have a team the HC won't matter.
    That is the end result. Our contract in the dome is for 2 more seasons. If need be we could play in the Golpher stadium or didn't they say they would give us the dome? My guess is that the new stadium could be built next to it. Are you saying that this year is it?
    Yes, going on the premise that a deal doesn't get done with MN, then something needs to happen so they could make sure the move would happen to a new stadium elsewhere.


    2 years is cutting it pretty close if you ask me.
    A decision has to be made by the state this year, and long before the season is over.
    [/quote]
    I disagree. Nothing is going to happen this year and everybody knows it. We have a 4 billion dollar budget deficit. Besides nothing should be done until after the NFL gets it's collective bargaining agreement done. Don't want to agree to a big deal just to have the NFL change the rules. I think the NFL will come to the realization soon that the era of publicly funded stadiums has come to an end, and will be devoted funds to new construction, as well as force some of the bigger teams to share more revenue(maybe a luxury tax like baseball?). Anyone know when the last time a taxpayers have agreed to foot the bill for any NFL stadium?
    [/quote]
    I hope your right My Sexy Little Pixie.

    I know that there are places out there (my location is a prime example) that are willing to fund/build a stadium.
    They just need to be awarded a team and have enough time to get one built.

    With that thought process in mind, I would think the Wilfs would want a decision sometime this season.
    [/quote]
    I wouldn't think Wilf would even want to commit the money now. He is better off waiting until he knows what the rules are gonna be. Until we know what is going to happen to revenue sharing, and the salary cap, we just don't have all the facts.
    What is your location again? Have proposals been passed? Do you have any links showing that your state is willing to spend 600million to a billion dollars for a football team?
    Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see too many states approving those types of fund at this point in time. The only realistic location is completely privately funded.
    [/quote]
    Tidewater Virginia (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Newport News, Suffolk).

    We already have a location (Bowers Hill) set aside for the stadium and have incureased the road infrastructure out to support it.
    (I-664)

    We had all the bills passed, stamped, approved for a pro-baseball team (now called the Nationals) and came up short, second to DC for them.

    Our biggest detractor for our efforts are that we are close to the Deadskins (Local Governments arguement is "So are the Ravens") and the Panthers.

    Huge grass roots effort by the fans to support our other "Pro Teams" have shown that we have the fan base and the support from our local governments as we have some pretty decent stadiums/ball parks/rinks that suppor them.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ms_in_Virginia

    Long story short, there are locations were the economy has hurt, but there are places were the cities have planned for it and are bringing in new companys/jobs and not loosing them.

    6.6% unemployment rate isn't something to be proud of but it isn't as bad as most.

    http://realestate.yahoo.com/Oregon/T.../neighborhoods
    http://www.bls.gov/LAU/
    [/quote]
    Says here they just had to make 200 million in budget cuts(about 5% of all spending). Not nearly as bad as some places but I think you might be over estimating the amount of support a publicly built stadium would generate, right now.
    According to Wikipedia you missed out on the Expos because the state would fund it.

    A proposal to relocate the Montreal Expos to Norfolk was considered by Major League Baseball in 2004. MLB had also considered a site near Washington Dulles International Airport in Loudoun County as a possible new home for the Expos. However, a reluctance by state officials to dedicate funds to the project along with concern about traffic helped lead MLB to select Washington as the Expos' new home.
    [/quote]
    We did go ahead and put the I-664 beltway out there since then.
    I don't think it would have mattered though, they had thier minds made up that it was going up north instead of here.

    Again, not a failing on our part but the states decision to support DC IMHO.
    [/quote]
    So do you expect virginia to pass a stadium plan this year then? If the Vikings are need to get a deal done this year shouldn't virginia being actively submitting proposals? Where are they?
    [/quote]
    Not sure, however, I bet it wouldn't meet with as much resistance as it is in MN. My guess is the Wilf ownership would get some support from the local business communities as well cause they know the draw it would bring.

    Long story short, there are other places out ther other than LA that want teams and are willing to try to get one in the area.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #22
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,279

    Re: Wade Phillips Says It Takes 4 Years to Judge Coach

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=jmcdon00 link=topic=51243.msg928550#msg928550 date=1238428320]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=51243.msg928541#msg928541 date=1238427281]
    [quote author=jmcdon00 link=topic=51243.msg928536#msg928536 date=1238425985]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=51243.msg928531#msg928531 date=1238424397]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=51243.msg928527#msg928527 date=1238422233]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=51243.msg928525#msg928525 date=1238421876]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=51243.msg928521#msg928521 date=1238421511]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=51243.msg928519#msg928519 date=1238421356]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=51243.msg928509#msg928509 date=1238419985]
    Like I said before IMO if Chilly can't win the division or win a playoff game, he is done. Fans will get ugly. That is the laqst thing you need when trying to build a stadium.
    I agree, but don't you think the stadium decision (One way or another) will be done long before the season ends?
    Never said it would. All I am saying is that pissed off fans do not buy tickets. They sit at home a watch for free.
    OK.
    I took the comment (in red) as a end result of 2009-2010 season.

    My guess is Zygi will have made a commitment someplace else if a deal isn't done before the end of this season.

    At that point, it won't matter who is the HC of the team as the new location will be so gol 'darnit glad to have a team the HC won't matter.
    That is the end result. Our contract in the dome is for 2 more seasons. If need be we could play in the Golpher stadium or didn't they say they would give us the dome? My guess is that the new stadium could be built next to it. Are you saying that this year is it?
    Yes, going on the premise that a deal doesn't get done with MN, then something needs to happen so they could make sure the move would happen to a new stadium elsewhere.


    2 years is cutting it pretty close if you ask me.
    A decision has to be made by the state this year, and long before the season is over.
    [/quote]
    I disagree. Nothing is going to happen this year and everybody knows it. We have a 4 billion dollar budget deficit. Besides nothing should be done until after the NFL gets it's collective bargaining agreement done. Don't want to agree to a big deal just to have the NFL change the rules. I think the NFL will come to the realization soon that the era of publicly funded stadiums has come to an end, and will be devoted funds to new construction, as well as force some of the bigger teams to share more revenue(maybe a luxury tax like baseball?). Anyone know when the last time a taxpayers have agreed to foot the bill for any NFL stadium?
    [/quote]
    I hope your right My Sexy Little Pixie.

    I know that there are places out there (my location is a prime example) that are willing to fund/build a stadium.
    They just need to be awarded a team and have enough time to get one built.

    With that thought process in mind, I would think the Wilfs would want a decision sometime this season.
    [/quote]
    I wouldn't think Wilf would even want to commit the money now. He is better off waiting until he knows what the rules are gonna be. Until we know what is going to happen to revenue sharing, and the salary cap, we just don't have all the facts.
    What is your location again? Have proposals been passed? Do you have any links showing that your state is willing to spend 600million to a billion dollars for a football team?
    Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see too many states approving those types of fund at this point in time. The only realistic location is completely privately funded.
    [/quote]
    Tidewater Virginia (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Newport News, Suffolk).

    We already have a location (Bowers Hill) set aside for the stadium and have incureased the road infrastructure out to support it.
    (I-664)

    We had all the bills passed, stamped, approved for a pro-baseball team (now called the Nationals) and came up short, second to DC for them.

    Our biggest detractor for our efforts are that we are close to the Deadskins (Local Governments arguement is "So are the Ravens") and the Panthers.

    Huge grass roots effort by the fans to support our other "Pro Teams" have shown that we have the fan base and the support from our local governments as we have some pretty decent stadiums/ball parks/rinks that suppor them.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ms_in_Virginia

    Long story short, there are locations were the economy has hurt, but there are places were the cities have planned for it and are bringing in new companys/jobs and not loosing them.

    6.6% unemployment rate isn't something to be proud of but it isn't as bad as most.

    http://realestate.yahoo.com/Oregon/T.../neighborhoods
    http://www.bls.gov/LAU/
    [/quote]
    Says here they just had to make 200 million in budget cuts(about 5% of all spending). Not nearly as bad as some places but I think you might be over estimating the amount of support a publicly built stadium would generate, right now.
    According to Wikipedia you missed out on the Expos because the state would fund it.

    A proposal to relocate the Montreal Expos to Norfolk was considered by Major League Baseball in 2004. MLB had also considered a site near Washington Dulles International Airport in Loudoun County as a possible new home for the Expos. However, a reluctance by state officials to dedicate funds to the project along with concern about traffic helped lead MLB to select Washington as the Expos' new home.
    [/quote]
    We did go ahead and put the I-664 beltway out there since then.
    I don't think it would have mattered though, they had thier minds made up that it was going up north instead of here.

    Again, not a failing on our part but the states decision to support DC IMHO.
    [/quote]
    So do you expect virginia to pass a stadium plan this year then? If the Vikings are need to get a deal done this year shouldn't virginia being actively submitting proposals? Where are they?
    [/quote]
    Not sure, however, I bet it wouldn't meet with as much resistance as it is in MN. My guess is the Wilf ownership would get some support from the local business communities as well cause they know the draw it would bring.

    Long story short, there are other places out ther other than LA that want teams and are willing to try to get one in the area.
    [/quote]
    But are they willing to commit 600million dollars this year? Your suggesting the Vikings will have a deal worked out in the next 6 months if Minnesota doesn't get out the checkbook, I don't think that is true. Also you have to look at what the NFL wants. Much of the revenue a Virginia team would get would take away from revenue other teams in the area get, while the revenue from the Minnesota would largely be lost revenue for the nfl.
    These are things that will likely be addressed in the collective bargaining agreement. The NFL will have to decide what is best for the league in the long run. In my opinion they are better off keeping a team in Minnesota, even if they have to wait a few extra years for a stadium. Plus there are several other low income teams in the same position, and with New York and Dallas both getting stadiums the list of teams losing money is going to grow(not that the vikings are losing money, Wilf has made 200+ million already, according to forbes). The current system will wreck the NFL if they are not careful.

  3. #23
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Wade Phillips Says It Takes 4 Years to Judge Coach

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    But are they willing to commit 600million dollars this year? Your suggesting the Vikings will have a deal worked out in the next 6 months if Minnesota doesn't get out the checkbook, I don't think that is true.
    I am not suggesting that any money need be commited, but that a decision needs to be made.

    As to the 600 Million, I believe that would be considerable less based on the fact that the land is already designated and prepped for a venue as well as the stadium wouldn't have the additional cost of a retractable roof that the state of MN seems to want.

    Add to that some wheeling and dealing (naming rights, corporate sponsors) by the Wilfs and I am sure a 100 mil or so could be raised on the side.

    Also you have to look at what the NFL wants. Much of the revenue a Virginia team would get would take away from revenue other teams in the area get, while the revenue from the Minnesota would largely be lost revenue for the nfl. These are things that will likely be addressed in the collective bargaining agreement.
    You are correct, the impact it might have on the Redskins and Panthers is a huge subject for debate around here, however, the city fathers also pointed out that because we have so many military families (transients) in the area, a team located here would be a huge draw, if for no other reason than the draw it would have for fans like Dallas, Giants, GB, Vikings etc.

    The NFL will have to decide what is best for the league in the long run. In my opinion they are better off keeping a team in Minnesota, even if they have to wait a few extra years for a stadium. Plus there are several other low income teams in the same position, and with New York and Dallas both getting stadiums the list of teams losing money is going to grow(not that the vikings are losing money, Wilf has made 200+ million already, according to forbes). The current system will wreck the NFL if they are not careful.
    A good point, however, I am not sure that the fans will give up on thier teams and quite going to games, regardless of the economy.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Wade Phillips to Double as Cowboys' Defensive Coordinator
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 05:46 PM
  2. Wade Phillips' last season?
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-10-2008, 11:05 AM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-25-2007, 11:07 AM
  4. Wade Wilson interveiws for Cowboy QB coach
    By MVIKING7 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-21-2007, 06:27 PM
  5. Wade Phillips is Cowboys' new head coach
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-08-2007, 04:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •