Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' secondary has talent, talks a good game but . . .

From the San Jose Mercury News;

Posted on Wed, Oct. 26, 2005

BY SEAN JENSEN

Knight Ridder Newspapers

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Unfazed by the locale and the context, free safety Darren Sharper casually declared the Vikings' defensive approach for the 2005 season.

"It's just kind of common sense to put the pressure of the defense on the secondary because the guys up front have done a great job of stopping the run," Sharper said. "And we really don't feel like teams can beat us throwing the football."

Such a statement would be warranted in cities such as Baltimore, Washington and Buffalo. The Ravens, Redskins and Bills have long boasted strong pass defenses. But Sharper uttered his comments standing on a purple carpet at Winter Park, home of one of the NFL's most consistently porous pass defenses.

During the past 10 seasons, the Vikings' pass defense has ranked 28th or worse six times. In fact, the Vikings have not fielded a pass defense ranked in the top five since 1990, all-pro strong safety Joey Browner's second-to-last season with the club.

"That's been the Achilles' heel of this team for a long time," said Browner, who played for the Vikings from 1983 to '91. "In crunch time, players haven't stepped up enough. Even when they nearly had the undefeated season (in 1998), they needed guys to step up, and they didn't.

"It bothers me because when I left, we were No. 1 in the NFL (in 1989). For me, it was the pride we had back there."

In Browner's final season with the Vikings, the team's pass defense was rated a respectable 13th, with emerging star Audray McMillian as the nickel cornerback. But when McMillian and cornerback Carl Lee departed after the 1993 season, the Vikings' pass defense commenced a precipitous fall to 21st in the NFL and remained, with the exception of three seasons, among the league's worst for the next decade.

Under coach Mike Tice, the Vikings' pass defense has twice ranked 29th out of 32 teams, and the group was blamed for some excruciating losses.

_In 2002, the Vikings led the Buffalo Bills 39-36 at the Metrodome with 26 seconds remaining. But Bills quarterback Drew Bledsoe completed three passes for 29 yards, setting up a game-tying, 54-yard field goal by Mike Hollis. Then, on his third possession in overtime, Bledsoe completed two passes for 76 yards, including a 48-yard touchdown to Peerless Price, to win the game.

_In the 2003 season finale, the Vikings needed to protect a 17-6 lead over the Arizona Cardinals to win the NFC North. But in the final 6:42, Cardinals quarterback Josh McCown engineered two touchdown drives, converting on fourth and goal from the Vikings' 28-yard line for an 18-17 victory.

_In 2004, the Vikings lost three games on last-second field goals following lapses in the secondary.

"With the personnel we have ... we want teams to challenge us," second-year cornerback Antoine Winfield said. "You make more plays in the passing game, with tipped balls and interceptions. They brought us in here and pay us a lot of money to shut down receivers."

Through six games, the Vikings' pass defense is ranked 15th, but their most credible effort was Sunday against Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers. The team is positioned to improve its ranking considering few upcoming opponents boast a dominant passing offense. Of their remaining games, the Vikings' most dangerous aerial opponent is the St. Louis Rams.

Although their run defense is ranked 30th, the Vikings have made significant strides toward improving in that area, limiting their past two opponents, the Packers and the Chicago Bears, to a combined 140 yards rushing.

"That's what we want to do," linebacker Keith Newman said of focusing on their run defense. "If we can do that, we have a good chance of winning basically every game."

Sharper said the NFC North also dictates the Vikings' defensive strategy.

"With Chicago and Detroit, they have decent receivers but they don't have anyone that's necessarily going to beat you too bad. Green Bay has a lot of injuries," Sharper said. "If we can keep teams from running the football, in our division, that will help us in November and December."

With Pro Bowl safeties in Sharper and Corey Chavous, and two respected veteran starting cornerbacks in Winfield and Fred Smoot, as well as experienced backups Ken Irvin, Ralph Brown and Brian Williams, Browner said the Vikings' 2005 secondary is the club's best since his days with the team. But Browner said this unit has much to prove.

"They're talented," Browner said. "But now they have to let their talent show and make plays. If you say it, you got to do it."

Sharper agreed.

"We've made some plays," Sharper said, "but we haven't made enough. And to be a top-notch secondary, you have to make all the plays that come your way."

Sharper, though, said his unit is building cohesion, as he and Williams return from knee injuries.

"Health is the biggest thing," Sharper said. "We've got all our guys coming back, so you'll see us start to play like that."---_

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings' secondary has talent, talks a good game but . . .

"singersp" wrote:
    From the San Jose Mercury News;

Posted on Wed, Oct. 26, 2005

BY SEAN JENSEN

Knight Ridder Newspapers

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Unfazed by the locale and the context, free safety Darren Sharper casually declared the Vikings' defensive approach for the 2005 season.

"It's just kind of common sense to put the pressure of the defense on the secondary because the guys up front have done a great job of stopping the run," Sharper said. "And we really don't feel like teams can beat us throwing the football."

Such a statement would be warranted in cities such as Baltimore, Washington and Buffalo. The Ravens, Redskins and Bills have long boasted strong pass defenses. But Sharper uttered his comments standing on a purple carpet at Winter Park, home of one of the NFL's most consistently porous pass defenses.

During the past 10 seasons, the Vikings' pass defense has ranked 28th or worse six times. In fact, the Vikings have not fielded a pass defense ranked in the top five since 1990, all-pro strong safety Joey Browner's second-to-last season with the club.

"That's been the Achilles' heel of this team for a long time," said Browner, who played for the Vikings from 1983 to '91. "In crunch time, players haven't stepped up enough. Even when they nearly had the undefeated season (in 1998), they needed guys to step up, and they didn't.

"It bothers me because when I left, we were No. 1 in the NFL (in 1989). For me, it was the pride we had back there."

In Browner's final season with the Vikings, the team's pass defense was rated a respectable 13th, with emerging star Audray McMillian as the nickel cornerback. But when McMillian and cornerback Carl Lee departed after the 1993 season, the Vikings' pass defense commenced a precipitous fall to 21st in the NFL and remained, with the exception of three seasons, among the league's worst for the next decade.

Under coach Mike Tice, the Vikings' pass defense has twice ranked 29th out of 32 teams, and the group was blamed for some excruciating losses.

_In 2002, the Vikings led the Buffalo Bills 39-36 at the Metrodome with 26 seconds remaining. But Bills quarterback Drew Bledsoe completed three passes for 29 yards, setting up a game-tying, 54-yard field goal by Mike Hollis. Then, on his third possession in overtime, Bledsoe completed two passes for 76 yards, including a 48-yard touchdown to Peerless Price, to win the game.

_In the 2003 season finale, the Vikings needed to protect a 17-6 lead over the Arizona Cardinals to win the NFC North. But in the final 6:42, Cardinals quarterback Josh McCown engineered two touchdown drives, converting on fourth and goal from the Vikings' 28-yard line for an 18-17 victory.

_In 2004, the Vikings lost three games on last-second field goals following lapses in the secondary.

"With the personnel we have ... we want teams to challenge us," second-year cornerback Antoine Winfield said. "You make more plays in the passing game, with tipped balls and interceptions. They brought us in here and pay us a lot of money to shut down receivers."

Through six games, the Vikings' pass defense is ranked 15th, but their most credible effort was Sunday against Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers. The team is positioned to improve its ranking considering few upcoming opponents boast a dominant passing offense. Of their remaining games, the Vikings' most dangerous aerial opponent is the St. Louis Rams.

Although their run defense is ranked 30th, the Vikings have made significant strides toward improving in that area, limiting their past two opponents, the Packers and the Chicago Bears, to a combined 140 yards rushing.

"That's what we want to do," linebacker Keith Newman said of focusing on their run defense. "If we can do that, we have a good chance of winning basically every game."

Sharper said the NFC North also dictates the Vikings' defensive strategy.

"With Chicago and Detroit, they have decent receivers but they don't have anyone that's necessarily going to beat you too bad. Green Bay has a lot of injuries," Sharper said. "If we can keep teams from running the football, in our division, that will help us in November and December."

With Pro Bowl safeties in Sharper and Corey Chavous, and two respected veteran starting cornerbacks in Winfield and Fred Smoot, as well as experienced backups Ken Irvin, Ralph Brown and Brian Williams, Browner said the Vikings' 2005 secondary is the club's best since his days with the team. But Browner said this unit has much to prove.

"They're talented," Browner said. "But now they have to let their talent show and make plays. If you say it, you got to do it."

Sharper agreed.

"We've made some plays," Sharper said, "but we haven't made enough. And to be a top-notch secondary, you have to make all the plays that come your way."

Sharper, though, said his unit is building cohesion, as he and Williams return from knee injuries.

"Health is the biggest thing," Sharper said. "We've got all our guys coming back, so you'll see us start to play like that."---_
    ugh i remember that.

Go vikes!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

That's the game where Doug Brien missed those PAT's & cost us the game!

Then we cut his sorry ass & brought back Anderson.

And to think the Bears chose him over Edinger! LMAO!

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings' secondary has talent, talks a good game but . .

We got four Pro Bowlers starting in our secondary and we can't even stop donald driver. how sad is that?

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

"michaelmazid" wrote:
    We got four Pro Bowlers starting in our secondary and we can't even stop donald driver. how sad is that?

Driver ripped apart our secondary in the first half. 8 catches for 101 yards and a td. This was with Winfield covering him (this is not a crack on antoine). Second half, Driver had 1 catch for 13 yards with Smoot on him. Its not about what he did to us but how we reacted and made changes to stop him. Our defense has lacked the personnel over the past few years to make these changes and stop the bleeding. Last years team would have allowed Driver to have over 150yards and a couple more tds in the second half. Not saying we are a feared defense yet, but the signs of improvement are there. Pass D is ranked 15th. What was it last year at this time, 28th?
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

Does anyone else beside me think that B. Williams is WAY overrated? He had his chance as a starter and got burned early and often and not much has changed as the nickle/dime back.
    Anyone remeber Kenny Wright? He's starting fo Jax'ville now.....I guess if he can improve...anyone can.

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

Kenny Wright tossed one of his gloves to me @ Training Camp a few years back.

Don't know how that holds any significance, but thought I'd say it anyway. LMAO

I wear it sometimes when I'm feeling like showing off my loyalty and maybe giving some extra purple mojo on gameday. Hasn't really helped with the mojo the last few times, though. :-/

Del Rio Guest

"bleedpurple27" wrote:
    Does anyone else beside me think that B. Williams is WAY overrated? He had his chance as a starter and got burned early and often and not much has changed as the nickle/dime back.
    Anyone remeber Kenny Wright? He's starting fo Jax'ville now.....I guess if he can improve...anyone can.
    I don't think he can be overrated because it seems very few Vikings fans even have him rated at all lol.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Yep I was gonna say that del. I think hes fine for his back up role. Anytime you can have starters from the previous year, turn into back ups, your sittin good. Thats awesome that we're ranked 15th in pass defense. Dosnt really feel like it yet, but we're gettin there. Each game is another step twords a dominate defense we'll have.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Vikes4ever is offline Waterboy

Just remember that are run defense is rated 30th. So, teams take what you give them. Last year we ranked pretty high against the run. That was because we couldn't stop the passing. I hope this defensive unit is going to start jelling and stay healthy. As long as we stay healthy the defense should keep improving in all areas. Skol Vikings!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast