Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Vikings Lowball Offer Cost Them an All Pro Player

It is old news that I thought Cameron Wake, the defensive end for the CFL BC Lions, would be great in the NFL. He had the tools: quick off the snap (like Allen Page quick), good footwork, long arms, and he could leap well (which meant he had good closing spring on his moves). He was an instant All-Star in the CFL, and he put up defensive MVP numbers. Wake was the first player in CFL history to be named Rookie of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year in the same season. He could also play both left or right defensive end.

He was so good that I did something I had never done previously, I called the Vikings front office and gave them information about Wake. After Wake's first season with the Lions, I actively lobbied for the Vikings to go get him after his mandatory two season deal in BC would up. It is certain the Vikings knew about Wake, but I wanted to make sure that they scouted him well and looked at all aspects of his game.

At the end of the 2008 CFL season, Wake drew interest from several NFL teams, including the Miami Dolphins, St. Louis Rams, New Orleans Saints, Buffalo Bills and Minnesota Vikings, and he working out for eight teams in total. He was given offers from some of them, but Wake signed four-year deal, included a $1 million signing bonus, for a total worth up to $4.9 million with the Miami Dolphins. The Vikings were reported to have made an offer which was not as good, as Wake stated he signed the best deal.

He recorded 5.5 sacks and 23 tackled in 2009. His time on the field was limited by his switch to linebacker from defensive end. In 2010, his first season as a starter with Miami, Wake recorded 14 sacks, 57 tackles, and 3 forced fumbles. He played mostly at linebacker in a 3-4 system.

Wake was named a starter for the 2011 AFC Pro Bowl team at outside linebacker. He was also named to The Sporting News 2011 All-Pro Team and AP's Second All-Pro team. He had 52 quarterback pressures in 2011, which was third in the NFL behind Chris Long and Julius Peppers.

In May of 2012, Wake signed a 4 year extension with the Miami Dolphins reported to be worth a total of $49 million with $20 million guaranteed.

After being moved from Outside Linebacker to Defensive End for the 2012 season, Wake totaled 53 tackles and 15 sacks including 4.5 sacks in one game against the Arizona Cardinals. Wake was named as a starter to the Pro Bowl for the second time and was named a First-Team All-Pro.

The Vikings missed on an opportunity to sign the future NFL Pro Bowl star because their offer sheet was lower than what most NFL teams give to backup players on many of their rosters.
    Last edited by Minniman; 03-16-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    To be fair, he is the same age as Allen and the year he went to the Fins we got Allen from the Chefs. I think we made the right choice.

On April 22, 2008, the Chiefs traded Allen to the Minnesota Vikingsin exchange for a first-round pick, which they used to select OTBranden Albert, and two third-round picks, one of which was used to take Jamaal Charles, and swapped sixth-round picks in the 2008 NFL Draft. The Vikings then signed Allen to a six-year contract, which at the time was the richest contract for a defensive player in NFL history.[10] Allen was due an $8 million roster bonus in 2010, per the six-year, US$72.36 million contract he signed with the Vikings, and his signing bonus was $15.5 million.[11]
    During the 2008 season, Allen recorded 54 tackles, along with 14.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles
    At the end of the 2008 CFL season, Wake drew interest from several NFL teams, including the Miami Dolphins, St. Louis Rams, New Orleans Saints,Buffalo Bills and Minnesota Vikings. He worked out for the Dolphins on January 15, 2009.[10]Wake started the first game of his NFL career during the 2009 season against the Bills in week four and responded with two sacks, four tackles for a loss, and a forced fumble.
    After receiving interest from 17 total NFL teams and working out for eight, Wake signed with the Dolphins on January 18, 2009.[2] The four-year deal included a $1 million signing bonus and could be worth up to $4.9 million.[2][11]
    Last edited by Purple Floyd; 03-16-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    To be fair, he is the same age as Allen and the year he went to the Fins we got Allen from the Chefs. I think we made the right choice.
    Wake would have bookended Allen, and his contract was pennies on the dollar compared to Allen. There was little risk in making an offer better than the Dolphins had.

Blog Entries

Vikings Lowball Offer Cost Them a Pro Bowl Star

We had Ray Edwards on the other side and transitioned into Robison and now Griffin.

I like Wake, don't get me wrong but DE is one of the few positions we seemed to have enough depth in during the Ziggy Years.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    We had Ray Edwards on the other side and transitioned into Robison and now Griffin.

I like Wake, don't get me wrong but DE is one of the few positions we seemed to have enough depth in during the Ziggy Years.
    Not ALL PRO depth. How many chumps do the Vikings bring in at more than $4.9 million for four years with $1 million guaranteed?

It was a lowball offer for a future blue chip player.

Wake will likely outplay Allen, Robison, and Griffen this season.

Wake ... 4 tackles and 2.5 sacks in game one. He was a disruptive force.
    Allen ... 4 tackles, 1 sack, and 2 passes defensed in game one.

Pretty close, but unlike Allen, Wake's contract is reasonable.

I know, I am beating a dead horse, but I had to watch Warren Moon in Houston for years after hoping the Vikings would pick him up from Edmonton year after year. The Vikings blew it with Wake, the defensive MVP and sack leader of the CFL, by not offering him a contract that a second day rookie would have received at the time.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    What if we gave him bigger money and he stunk it up. We would be here bashing on wasting money.

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    What if we gave him bigger money and he stunk it up. We would be here bashing on wasting money.
    The original contract the Dolphins offered was super cheap; the Vikings were just cheaper. The Vikings have signed and released players for more money.

While I am here, I must state that the Vikings went cheap on the proposed trade for Anquan Boldin too. The guy was a veteran and a go-to receiver for a Superbowl team, and the Viking couldn't do better than the 6th round pick the 49ers gave up? Our 6th round pick this season is a better risk than Boldin?

Blog Entries
    Boldin would have been nice but in the end he wanted to go to a contender and I am pretty sure he is much happier in SF getting passes from CK than here with CP.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Hind sight is always 20/20. Yes it would have been great, it also would have been great to draft Russel Wilson. 30 other teams also failed to offer him more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast