Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

Vikings' Cap Room = Instant Team Status Upgrade

Today on Sportscenter, they were discussing Collective Bargaining Agreements and extensions and teams in trouble as far as the salary cap. They named about 7 teams that were in deep trouble as far as being over the cap (the Raiders were included). On the flip side, a statement was made about teams in good cap condition, those being the Browns (about 20 mil. under the cap), the Packers (about 21 mil. under the cap), and the Vikings (about 25 mil. under the cap). When that was said, a question along the lines of 'Does this mean a team of that type could instantly get much better in free agency?' The answer: "Absolutely".

I know many people have sounded off on how just because we have the money doesn't mean we have to spend it, but with all the Collective Bargaining Agreement talks and extensions, I'm going to bring it up once again.
    Are you buying this? And if you do, should we spend the money?
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings' Cap Room = Instant Team Status Upgrade

If we don't spend most of the money, we won't get better...it's that simple. We need to manage our cap well, but part of that is making sure that some contracts expire at the same time that new ones get signed. It's like waiting for one car note to be paid off before you sign a new one to get a new car...the one that the wife gets to drive while you get to inherit the paid off (read: old) one! LOL!

Actually, in my family, I have the new car...not that I ever drive it or anything! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

We need to do whatever is necessary to be a team that makes it to the SB next season. If that means to go out and spend big bucks to get great players then fine by me.

I don't know about all you other Viking fans, but I have had a bad taste in my mouth since the Vikes got their a$$e$ handed to them by the Giants in the NFC Championship game. I would love at all cost to go to the SB and win it.. Start spending Wilf, and get us a Championship team..

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Comments I have heard, take them for what they are worth:

Colts sign Edge if the CBA gets done, without it he doesn't get signed by the Colts.

This is a bad year to be a FA, becasue teams will be afraid or unable to pay the money needed to sign FA players.

Cards, Pack, and Vikes can all make a push in FA.

The contracts will be prorated only over 4 years instead of 7, making it harder to backload a contract further DOWN the Road.

Well, back to the original post, how are the Packers going to fair in all of this FA. Will they go after some of the FA that we want? Will they take this opportunity to put one last team around Favre.

Since this thread is in the General NFL forum, maybe we can discuss what the Pack will do with there money. Does anyone have any insight?

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Let me paraphrase this comment by saying Wilf is a businessman first and foremost. He didn't get rich by "putting all his eggs in one basket" (as the old saying goes).
    We did well in the free agency last year because we spent our money wisely the year before. The same this year. Rob Brzezinski is liked by Wilf because he's a good money manager. Wilf will allow money to be spent, as he promised, but he won't spend it all. You can "supplement" well with FA money, but you can't build a team with it as several teams have found out. So I look for the Vikes to still stay $10-15 million under the cap next year.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

tylersieve is offline Starter

ok..if there is no salary cap next year year..we will be set....ok if we spend all this money we have now..then in 2007..zigi can spend another 50 mill of his own money
    Sieveinator Strikes Agian

tke0933 is offline Pro-Bowler

Just because we have the money doesn't mean we have to spend it all. I agree with COJO and spend what we need to get what we need but keep some in reserve for later in the year or for next year.

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

Sadly I disagree with COJO on this one. This is the time a team like the Vikings and God forbid the Packers can actually "buy" a playoff contender. When you consider all that has taken place with this team and the great work that Brezinski does with the cap issue, this must not be overlooked. Even Rob Brzezinski stated as much in his last interview with the STribe, (looking for link).

I think we well see the team make an earnest effort to get drastically improved during this period of unrest and I for one promote them spending to and beyond the cap limit. Whatever is necessary to ensure this team becomes much improved and favored to compete for the Lombardi Trophy instantly!

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

mattjenny3 is offline Starter

Since this thread is in the General NFL forum, maybe we can discuss what the Pack will do with there money. Does anyone have any insight?[/quote]

I predict the packers spend $20M to sign FA Corey Chavous to help Farte get to the SB again. :smile:
    REDHORSE

JDante is offline Rookie

"cajunvike" wrote:
    If we don't spend most of the money, we won't get better...it's that simple.
    I COMPLETELY disagree with that. Vikings have a good team, alotta of players that rank within the top5 in the NFL. its not that they completely suck and they need to hurry up and flood the rosters with talent, its just that they need to fill like one or two or 5 and a half spots to be a contender for the title. I say 80% of out team is good enough to stay , and we have about 30% that can be replaced. (Yea, some of the players like Corey Chavous are good enough to start but can be replaced, in case you were wondering why that didnt add up.) There is not alot of urgency here and in the current situation that the vikings are in spending alot of money would be the dumbest move possible. How about one year with the current roster, then next year do all out. But right now Zygi Wilf and the new "Triangle of Authority" just need to be smart about it, dont do nothin STUPID or get to greedy in this situation. Yeah. Thats what i tihnk at least.
    Yea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast