Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings blunders, Pack woes and more

[size=18px]Vikings blunders, Pack woes and more [/size]

Adam Schein / Special to FOXSports.com
    Posted: 8 hours ago

There really is no "off-season."

In Schein's Nine Weekly Nuggets, we question the Vikings' direction, the commitment of Bills and Packers veterans and the wisdom of Joe Theismann; plus, we talk T.O. and Sean Taylor, and much more.

1. I cannot believe the Vikings actually hired Rick Spielman to be their vice-president of player personnel.

I'm not quite sure I would've hired Spielman to pick the lunch buffet, let alone the next crop of Vikings players.

What exactly attracted the Vikes to Spielman?

Was it the fact he traded a valued second-round pick for third-string quarterback AJ Feeley? This was a deal that was easily first guessed when it was made. Making the already horrendous transaction worse, Spielman pulled the trigger on it when everyone in the football world knew that veteran quarterbacks, like Kurt Warner, Kerry Collins and Jeff Garcia, were about to be available. And you wouldn't have to give up a pick! This is one of the worst deals in NFL history, and you knew it at the time.

Spielman also botched the Adewale Ogunleye negotiations and the ensuing trade to the Bears. Moreover, he drafted Eddie Moore over Anquan Boldin and traded a Day 1 draft pick for legendary Dolphins running back Lamar Gordon. Was it the way he traded way too much to acquire Vernon Carey in the 2004 draft? You would think the folks in Minnesota might remember that since it was the Vikings who fleeced Spielman when he traded up one slot.

And of course, Feeley would've never been needed if the Dolphins selected Drew Brees over Jamar Fletcher.

Again — these are all easy first guesses.

And yes, this is the same Spielman who was figuratively locked in a closet by Nick Saban during the combine/draft period when Saban took over in 2005.

Maybe Minnesota liked his smile on television.

It can't be they liked his football decisions.

2. If you asked me on May 1 to name the teams I thought would be in the bottom five of the NFL this year, I would've included both the Bills and Packers.

As June starts, I feel even more confident in that opinion.

For two teams that were horrible last season and changed coaches for the 2006 campaign, the veteran attendance at the voluntary workouts is downright deplorable.

Eleven signature Bills veterans missed workouts last week. And to add insult, Willis McGahee spent the time hanging out with Rich Eisen on NFL Network. Now I love Eisen and the folks at the NFL Network, but McGahee should place greater emphasis on his NFL career. And you would think that learning from and being around new offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild, who is putting in an entirely new system, would be a major priority.

Plus, a whopping 14 Packers missed the Green Bay voluntary workouts. You might think it would be a pressing concern for these players to eradicate the horrendous taste left in everyone's mouth from a year ago.

And don't just take my word for it. Here's what Aaron Kampman told us on Thursday. "Our team has changed with new faces. And our defense is based on fundamentals. You want to get that participation. You need to get the cohesiveness."

This is a terrible sign for both Green Bay and Buffalo.

3. It makes me laugh to hear Joe Theismann's take on Ricky Williams playing in the CFL.

First, Theismann isn't angry that the Toronto franchise employs noted substance abuser and former Jacksonville first-round disaster R. Jay Soward? Let's be honest for a second; if most CFL players were good enough and/or didn't have baggage, they would be playing in the NFL. Williams was rightly suspended for a year by the NFL. Part of his penalty is that he has to leave the country to play football. Now we are going to deny his right to do that?

And where was Theismann over the last 4-6 weeks when this was a hot topic? Why wait until after Williams' practices with the Argonauts? Where was the public first guess? I love Theismann, but this is comical.

4. A plea deal has been reached in Sean Taylor's felony assault case. The Redskin will not go to trial nor spend time in jail.

Taylor's involvement in the case, allegedly waving a gun at someone during a fight, is alarming. He also spit on a Tampa player during the playoffs last year.

Obviously, acting like a knucklehead is part of the Taylor resume.

But perhaps now that this issue is behind him, Taylor might be able to turn the corner as he has some good role models in his life.

Taylor's father is the chief of police in Florida City, Fla. And he has exceptional guidance on the Redskins coaching staff with Gregg Williams, Joe Gibbs and now Jerry Gray.

And with a potential trial off of his mind, I think the safety will become one of the best defensive players in the league this year. A defensive-player-of-the-year-type season, with Taylor performing like the disruptive force on the field he was in college at Miami, is in the cards.

5. Assuming Donovin Darius is 100 percent physically by opening day, the Jacksonville Jaguars will have a top 10 defense in the NFL this year.

And frankly, top 10 might even be too wide of a range.

The safety, who tore the ACL in his left knee last September, is currently working out with the Jaguars. In talking to Darius last week, he expects to be ready for more strenuous tests when training camp rolls around, while stressing that the most important thing is to be ready by the season-opener. He is way ahead of his rehab schedule.

And Darius' progress really is a major boost for the Jags. Last year, the safety position became a major weakness when Darius went out. Not having the hard-hitting safety crippled the entire defensive backfield. This year, with Darius back, and the smart addition of Brian Williams (who Darius gushed about) to team with Rashean Mathis at the cornerback position, the defensive backfield should be very productive.

Jack Del Rio's defense already boasts the best defensive tackle combination in the NFL with Marcus Stroud and John Henderson. And James Harris brilliantly got them signed up long-term in Jacksonville. Also, linebacker Mike Peterson played as well as any defender in the NFL last season.

But the glue is Darius, the fearless team leader. His presence is paramount to the Jags' ultimate success.

6. Chris Simms has a very bright future in the NFL.

And I really expect him to have a big 2006.

Simms has spent countless hours in the off-season working diligently with Jon Gruden and Paul Hackett on how to improve his game. And Rich Gannon, a master of Gruden's offense, has spent quality time with Simms.

I loved how Simms, with his toughness, big arm, and improved touch, played in big spots last year when he took over for Brian Griese, especially on the road in Atlanta and down the stretch of the playoff game against the Redskins. If Edell Sheppard actually caught the beautifully thrown ball from the young quarterback, Tampa was going to win that contest and the praise would be overflowing in the direction of Simms.

Additionally, I don't expect Joey Galloway to drop off. After a season of laziness, Michael Clayton got the memo and has rededicated himself. Second-year tight end Alex Smith had a productive 2005 and is going to be a major weapon this season. And I look for NFL-ready Maurice Stovall to contribute. Plus, it is never a bad thing for your quarterback when the organization rightly spends its first two draft picks on offensive linemen who will be given every opportunity to start.

I don't think the Bucs were a "flash in the pan" last season. And it's more than fair to expect bigger things out of their young QB.

7. Detroit made a really smart move by signing Ross Verba.

When focused on football, Verba is a physical offensive lineman. The former Green Bay Packer standout instantly starts for the Lions at left guard.

I really think the Lions have had a fantastic "off-season," ranging from the new coaching staff, to the draft, to free agent pick-ups. And in the past, the problem for Detroit wasn't so much talent as it was dedication and focus. That will change with Rod Marinelli, Donnie Henderson and Mike Martz.

The Lions can win eight or nine games this year and finish second in the NFC North.

8. Everyone knows I wouldn't want Terrell Owens on my team.

I think he will blow up at some point in Dallas, like he has time after time in San Francisco and Philadelphia.

But with that said, for the sake of fairness, I feel compelled to relay this story from Dallas quarterback Tony Romo. The always honest Cowboys backup was on the radio with us the other day, talking about the first time he worked out with T.O. Owens ran a pattern that wasn't exactly up to how it is supposed to work in Dallas. After the pass, Romo went over to Owens, put his arm around him and explained exactly how the play should work. Owens listened, talked to Romo and thanked him.

By the way, Romo is going to make a fantastic broadcaster one day. He's intelligent, witty, straight-forward and filled with personality.

9. Yankees outfielder Kevin Reese is a football junkie.

I mean, he is a certified nut. He reads FOXSports.com. Reese tried to call Sirius NFL Radio before and after the draft. He craves NFL information. And to be honest, he really qualifies as an expert. He knows the game inside and out.

Reese lives for NFL Sundays and is a huge fantasy football player (he picked Larry Johnson in a keeper league last year and views Vincent Jackson as a sleeper in 2006.)

Reese is also a San Diego native and is obsessed with his Chargers. He believes the team has enough on defense to win the AFC West this season.

But he did give us an interesting nugget on what he would do if the Chargers moved down the road to Anaheim or L.A.

Reese said, "I have already talked about this with my family. We would start a bonfire and burn every article of Chargers clothing we had. We would pick a new team."

It's interesting; I've argued that if San Diego is foolish enough not to build a new stadium for the Chargers downtown, it would make sense for the Chargers to move to the OC or L.A. for the sake of continuity. Jets fans on Long Island or in Queens still travel two hours each way to New Jersey for their team every Sunday. To me, it makes sense if the team and city don't resolve the stadium issue.

But Reese joins a growing list of Chargers fans who tell me a move to the moon would be better than L.A.

Adam Schein hosts the Afternoon Blitz with Solomon Wilcots from on Sirius NFL Radio from 3-7 Eastern Time. Email him at [email protected]

Vikings blunders, Pack woes and more

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings blunders, Pack woes and more

2. If you asked me on May 1 to name the teams I thought would be in the bottom five of the NFL this year, I would've included both the Bills and Packers.

As June starts, I feel even more confident in that opinion.
    You don't have to be a rocket scientest to figure out the Pack will finish near the bottom of the league this year.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I picked this up off another column:
    * The Packers apparently have too many players that believe “voluntary” actually means voluntary. Fourteen veteran players, including several key offensive starters, have blown off the Packers’ version of the OTA.
    The Packers have probably one of the poorest offensive lines coming up and they cannot turn out for OTA????? What was Childress' answer when asked how many veterans he expected to show up? I believe it was "ALL OF THEM!"
    The Packers are gonna be the laughing stock of the NFL.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

VikingKen is offline Starter

I hate baseball

A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order. -- Bud Grant

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I hate baseball
    HUH?????????? :roll:
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

"VikingKen" wrote:
    I hate baseball
    I love lamp

[color=red]

CrazyVikingsFan is offline Pro-Bowler

"MensaTice" wrote:
    "VikingKen" wrote:
    I hate baseball
    I love lamp
    i love desk and i think i ate your chocalate squirrl!!! :grin:

what are you guys talking about? how'd we get from the packers sucking to eating a chocolate squirrel?!
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

"VikingKen" wrote:
    I hate baseball
    That is because the Indians is your team.
    We can solve poverty today.

I know nothing of Spielman, otherr than what I have read. Maybe he is a figure head or just dumb luck. Do you clean house then hire an idiot. I must trust Wiggy.
    We can solve poverty today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast