COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Vikes offensive blocking near the bottom of the NFL

Found this site and I see the Vikes line blocking may not be as good as we thought.
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol.php

#28 in pass protection and #15 in run blocking.
    The Oline has underperformed and it is not just the right side.
    Does part of it have to do with the blocking scheme. I know this has been talked about before but maybe it's time to revisit it?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikes offensive blocking near the bottom of the NFL

What a great site.
    Thanks.

I still say the issues with respect to blocking are directly related to the pre-snap calls by both the QB and C especially when they are switching between run or pass because of an audible.

COJO has a great post that has Hutch talking about some of thier issues.
    He basically says they just need more time together.

I agree, and believe that those issues will be all ironed out by the start of next season.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

OchoCinco is offline Coordinator

I also think the recievers being able to get off the line and get seperation to get open plays a part. As does the quarterback being able to get rid of ball or scramble, or if they are putting themselves in a lot of 3rd and long situations.
    I think the Vikings are also bad about dropping the running back too deep on running plays and tipping their hand, I think this got pointed out alot once A.P. started putting up big numbers. The box then gets stacked which leads to more sacks, tackles for loss, and incompletions. Probably skewing the numbers and making are line not look that great on paper............just my opinion.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"OchoCinco" wrote:
    I also think the recievers being able to get off the line and get seperation to get open plays a part. As does the quarterback being able to get rid of ball or scramble, or if they are putting themselves in a lot of 3rd and long situations.
    I think the Vikings are also bad about dropping the running back too deep on running plays and tipping their hand, I think this got pointed out alot once A.P. started putting up big numbers. The box then gets stacked which leads to more sacks, tackles for loss, and incompletions. Probably skewing the numbers and making are line not look that great on paper............just my opinion.
    I hear ya on that, however, if you watch all teams they do it to an extent.

Back is further back, gives OL time to engage/setup blocks, RB can see the whole.

Back is closer, He can get to his blocking point faster providing better protection for the QB.

Truth be told, it stands out better from a sideline angle that it does from the defense side of the ball.
    Basically, if you have ever stood at the MLB position or as a down DL you can't really percieve his depth.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

OchoCinco is offline Coordinator

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "OchoCinco" wrote:
    I hear ya on that, however, if you watch all teams they do it to an extent.

Back is further back, gives OL time to engage/setup blocks, RB can see the whole.

Back is closer, He can get to his blocking point faster providing better protection for the QB.

Truth be told, it stands out better from a sideline angle that it does from the defense side of the ball.
    Basically, if you have ever stood at the MLB position or as a down DL you can't really percieve his depth.
    UNLESS......(insert conspiracy here).... they have guys watching for this and yelling presnap adjustments from the sidelines..........

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Found this site and I see the Vikes line blocking may not be as good as we thought.
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol.php

#28 in pass protection and #15 in run blocking.
    The Oline has underperformed and it is not just the right side.
    Does part of it have to do with the blocking scheme. I know this has been talked about before but maybe it's time to revisit it?
    #15 in run blocking.....but somehow are #1 in rushing.
    #28 in pass blocking, but #13 in pts allowed.
    I like their analyses though, they are one of the few sites that actually explains their analyses.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain