Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    xlb57 is offline Rookie

Re: Urlacher fined $7,500 for non-called horse-collar tackle on Chester Taylor

"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:
    I guess I have to disagree with this call. It did look obvious at first that he horse collered him, but as they showed the replay he actually just grabbed his jersey up high near the horsecollar from behind. Non-The less, it was to close to call and I believe Urlacher knew exactly what he was doing.
    While I agree with you that this was rightly not called during the game (as he did in fact grab jersey and not the actual pads and the rule says that pads need to be grabbed, I believe) I do feel it is a tackle worthy of a fine.
    I am assuming the "horse collar" rule was put into effect to discourage these sorts of hits as a result of Roy Williams taking down T.O. and injuring him in doing so.
    Whether you grab pads or jersey however, tackles like this have an increased likelihood of injuring someone seriously I would think.
    Perhaps the rule should be changed to include the jersey in that area as well, seeing as how the way Taylor went down replicated that of a player being tackled by someone actually grabbing the pads and thus could have seriously injured him.
    Just my two cents.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Here's a bit of an article outlining the rule changes for 2006:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2389062 wrote:
    The committee expanded the definition of a horse collar tackle. Last year, the committee determined the tackling style of Cowboys safety Roy Williams and others was causing too many injuries. Williams would grab a player by the back of his shoulder pads, pull him down and fall on his legs, causing at least four serious injuries during the 2004 season. In 2005, though, only two "horse-collar" penalties were called. On Wednesday, owners voted in a change that will include grabbing the back of the jersey as a horse collar tackle. The vote was 25-7 in favor.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:
    I guess I have to disagree with this call. It did look obvious at first that he horse collered him, but as they showed the replay he actually just grabbed his jersey up high near the horsecollar from behind. Non-The less, it was to close to call and I believe Urlacher knew exactly what he was doing.
    That they fined him AFTER reviewing the play, shows that it was, indeed, an illegal tackle that should have been called for a penalty during the game.

Disagree with it all you want, but that's rock-solid.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

About time that they fine that cheater!

Did Goodell destroy the tapes on all of his tackles afterwards too?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12