Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Urlacher fined $100,000 for Super Bowl hat

[size=12pt]Urlacher fined $100,000 for Super Bowl hat[/size]

NEW YORK (AP) -- Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher was fined $100,000 by the NFL for wearing a cap during Super Bowl media day that promoted a sponsor not authorized by the league.

NFL rules prohibit gear that advertises any product but a designated sponsor, league spokesman Brian McCarthy said Wednesday.

Urlacher was fined for drinking vitaminwater and wearing a vitaminwater hat during the media session in Miami leading to the title game. Gatorade is the NFL's official drink.

McCarthy said this is the first time such a fine has been levied. He added that $100,000 is the standard fine for such a violation at the Super Bowl. A violation during the regular season is $10,000. It is $50,000 at the Pro Bowl.

The fine recalls an episode involving Chicago quarterback Jim McMahon in the playoffs following the 1985 season, the previous time the Bears made the Super Bowl.

McMahon wore a headband that said "adidas" in a playoff game against the New York Giants, and then-commissioner Pete Rozelle fined him $5,000 because the shoe company was not an NFL sponsor. The following week, in the NFC title game against the Los Angeles Rams, McMahon wore a headband that read "rozelle."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bears-urlacherfined&prov=ap&type=lgns

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Urlacher fined $100,000 for Super Bowl hat

Hahahahahahahahaahah!!!

Json is offline GM

Thats one expensive bottle of vitamwater....EESH!
    Good thing it was Brian "da bull" Urlacher.
    Can't stand the guy but he's a hellofa football player.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

did urlacher get paid to wear the hat? If not this is a case of the NFL unfairly sensoring it's players. If he did, was it more than $100,000?

dsharp is offline Training Camp

It doesn't matter.
    He probably got paid for wearing the hat AND vitamen water will probably pay the 100,000.
    Also, urlacher probably has $100000 lying around between the cushions of his couch.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

I think that is just stupid. OMG who cares what he wears. That is dumb of the NFL. I know they have to advertise but come on. Didnt Randy get in trouble for wearing the wrong hat on the sidelines once as well?

x-ray jeff is offline Coordinator

Hate the Bears-so I can't say I have any sympathy for Urlacher. I do respect his ability, though I believe he is a bit over-hyped. This mention of him got me thinking, Urlacher was a safety in college. He plays what amounts to a kind of rover / free safety type of middle linebacker. Since the Vikings have the Williams boys stuffing the middle, why can't they use one of those hard hitting safeties as a hybrid middle linebacker? It would certainly help the cover 2 be more effective. Nobody runs against the Vikes anyway.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

The NFL is a business.
    They are going to make their money any way they can and always look out for their best interests.
    Having a player promote VitaminWater during the SuperBowl is surely going to piss off the folks at Gatorade who shell out millions of dollars a year to them.
    I completely understand where the NFL is coming from here.
    Money grubbing greedy bastards they may be...but business is business.

"x-ray" wrote:
    Hate the Bears-so I can't say I have any sympathy for Urlacher. I do respect his ability, though I believe he is a bit over-hyped. This mention of him got me thinking, Urlacher was a safety in college. He plays what amounts to a kind of rover / free safety type of middle linebacker. Since the Vikings have the Williams boys stuffing the middle, why can't they use one of those hard hitting safeties as a hybrid middle linebacker? It would certainly help the cover 2 be more effective. Nobody runs against the Vikes anyway.
    I know its hijacking the thread....but Greg Blue in the middle might be fun....and would disguise some of his mistakes of getting burned covering receivers.
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"Vikefanman2000" wrote:
    [quote]
    "x-ray" wrote:

I know its hijacking the thread....but Greg Blue in the middle might be fun....and would disguise some of his mistakes of getting burned covering receivers.
    haha tru that greg blue in the middle would be so sweet and it is tru nobody does run against us

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast