Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Update: Matt Birk Has Not Been Traded to Steelers

Update: Matt Birk Has Not Been Traded to the Steelers
    Who in thier right mind would think that the Ravens would get rid of thier "Probowl" caliber C?

......snicker.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Update: Matt Birk Has Not Been Traded to Steelers

trading is better than just letting him walk

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Re:Update: Matt Birk Has Not Been Traded to Steelers

Birk might not be probowl caliber anymore but he was the heart of the Vikings OL for a decade.

How people think the Vikes OL last year wasn't going to struggle with a second year first time starting 6th round draft pick replacing Birk are insane. Throw in a rookie RT too and that makes life hard for Herrera. The OL is about chemistry and keeping the same 5 together is a big bonus.

IMO, if the Vikes knew Favre was going to comeback they would have signed Birk. Birk's presence would have given AD 200 more yds and Favre at least 5 less sacks.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

gagarr wrote:
    Birk's presence would have given AD 200 more yds and Favre at least 5 less sacks.
    And would have got the Noodle killed. I for one didn't miss all of the delayed blitzes up the middle that got our QB's broke every year.

Look, no one is discounting what he did for the team, but he isn't that player anymore. Just the fact that they might be shopping him already, shows that they are ready to shift to the ZB scheme they wanted to last year, until they were forced to make a change at C which caused them to stay with thier "Man" run blocking scheme.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: Update: Matt Birk Has Not Been Traded to Steelers

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    trading is better than just letting him walk
    Agree.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Marrdro wrote:
    gagarr wrote:
    Birk's presence would have given AD 200 more yds and Favre at least 5 less sacks.
    And would have got the Noodle killed. I for one didn't miss all of the delayed blitzes up the middle that got our QB's broke every year.

Look, no one is discounting what he did for the team, but he isn't that player anymore. Just the fact that they might be shopping him already, shows that they are ready to shift to the ZB scheme they wanted to last year, until they were forced to make a change at C which caused them to stay with thier "Man" run blocking scheme.
    I totally agree he isn't that player anymore. But the disruption to the OL by having two inexperienced OL really hurt. Just replacing Cook at RT was going to help a ton. IMO Sullivan needed another year, before being thrown to the wolves.

But that said, this year OL will be better than one with Birk, given the experience Sullivan and Load have now.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

gagarr wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    gagarr wrote:

I totally agree he isn't that player anymore. But the disruption to the OL by having two inexperienced OL really hurt. Just replacing Cook at RT was going to help a ton. IMO Sullivan needed another year, before being thrown to the wolves.

But that said, this year OL will be better than one with Birk, given the experience Sullivan and Load have now.
    I agree with you on all counts, even the disruption issue. Been saying that is what caused our G's to play poorly for quite some time now.

Problem is, Matt was looking for a new contract and probably wasn't gonna take a one year deal. Enter Sully.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Anywhere but Pittsburgh and in our division.

I hate seeing players I like go to teams I hate.

Mr Anderson wrote:
    Anywhere but Pittsburgh and in our division.

I hate seeing players I like go to teams I hate.
    LOL, I hear ya.

Not a big fan of players becoming coaches, however, Matt is one I really hoped would retire a Viking and then move right into coaching.

OL Assitant Coach with a focus on C/G play.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    LOL, I hear ya.

Not a big fan of players becoming coaches, however, Matt is one I really hoped would retire a Viking and then move right into coaching.

OL Assitant Coach with a focus on C/G play.
    well always a chance of that in the future, given he's a St Pauls native then I'd expect to see him return then when he stops playing. Then you might see him get a chance within coaching.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast