Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

The Ultimate Guide to NFL Defense

Someone asked yesterday about the difference's between a 1 tech and a 3 tech. To answer his question I tried to dig up a old thread I did on it a few years back but couldn't find it, so, to help, I went and did a search and found a couple of the articles I've used in the past and probably used in that thread.

The first one is a good one on the 3 and 5 tech that also shows the alignments of the DLmen, which is really what a “Technique” really is.

A defensive lineman's technique is simply where he lines up in a given defense.The "techniques" are numbered from the inside of the line out (mostly***). The numbers refer to a spot where the center of the defensive lineman's body ends up.
    He goes into further detail breaking down the difference between a 3 and a 5 in both the 4-3 and 3- schemes.

When it comes to 4-3 fronts, one defensive tackle is almost always in a 1 technique, and the other is almost always in a 3 technique on the other side of center. 4-3 linemen are typically responsible for one gap on any given running play, and are more responsible for generating a pass rush than linemen in a 3-4. The 3-technique tackle is typically quicker than the 1 technique and has to deal with double teams less often. He is also more responsible for rushing the passer than the 1 technique.

Draft Terminology: The "Three Technique" and the "Five Technique" - Dawgs By Nature

The next one is a bit long, but I hope you will take the time to read it (as well as do some more research on your own) because it really goes into great depth on the different defensive schemes.

Defensive football is every bit as exciting and interesting as offensive football. Some of the greatest (and most eccentric) minds to walk an NFL sideline got their start as defensive innovators. Greasy Neale, Tom Landry, Bum Phillips, Buddy Ryan, Bill Parcells, George Allen, Don Shula, Tony Dungy, Bill Belichick, Dick LeBeau, among many, many others cut their teeth as defensive coaches.

If you've ever been confused about the real differences between a 4-3 and 3-4 front, wondered what a three-technique tackle was, wondered why the 46 defense has become a rarely used historical relic or just want to learn a little more about defensive football, read on. While we'll liberally sprinkle some IDP applications in sidebars throughout, the primary focus of the guide will be to bring some love for defensive football to all fans of the game.
    Were the lineman lines up is critical to what approach he will take. This following qoute emphasizes that and makes me think back to a thread were I was talking about how important it was for a OLmen to get his helmet to one side or the other of the 3 and 5 tech when trying to seal and was ridiculed by someone (he knows who he is) who told me I was crazy to watch were OLmen get their helmets.

It may seem silly to fuss over the distinction between a helmet-to-helmet and over-the-shoulder alignments - after all, they're only a few inches apart - but those few inches make a big difference in how a defensive lineman must approach his job.

In most defensive fronts, a defensive lineman playing an even technique is responsible to play the gap on either side of the offensive lineman opposite him - a 2-gap technique. The traditional space-eating nose tackle plays a 0-technique and is responsible for both center-guard "A" gaps. A defensive lineman playing an odd technique is responsible only for the gap directly in front of him - a 1-gap technique. A 3-technique tackle aligns over the outside shoulder of an offensive guard, responsible only for the "B" gap opposite him. Most traditional 3-4 defensive linemen play 2-gap techniques (though not all as we'll see later) and most current 4-3 defensive tackles play 1-gap techniques.
    And to take it one step further, depending on what defense you play (C2/T2) you still might modify your tech (or alignment). That is what I'm talking about when I try to say 0/1 tech or UT or NT.

All 3-technique tackles are not alike. Defensive coaches continually search for ways to make their defensive linemen more effective. One of those ways, which was later adapted to the Tampa-2 defense by Tony Dungy and Monte Kiffin, was to slide the defensive tackles away from the strength of the offensive formation instead of playing them in even alignments over the offensive guards. This "undershifted" front makes it very difficult for the offensive line to double team the 3-technique, or in this case, undertackle.
    Here's how the differences look in the playbook and on the field:
    On a side note, by now you should have figured out that this article uses alot of what happened to Warren Sapp when he left Tampa (4-3) for the Raiders (3-4) and how the shift in scheme completely ruined his statistical career.

So much for the "Adjusting the Scheme to the Player" crap that is spewed forth by a certain someone on here.

Anyway, most people believe that the T2/C2 was started in Tampa, but it really wasn't. It was started in MN.

Sapp wasn't the first player to ride the under tackle position to NFL fame and fortune. Before the birth of the Tampa-2, the Minnesota Vikings (under Floyd Peters and Kiffin) paired defensive end Chris Doleman and under tackle Keith Millard in a stunting under front defense. In 1989, Millard set a record for sacks by interior defensive linemen (18) that still stands today.
    Here is a nice snippet from the area were they are talking about the transition from the traditional 4-3 to the "Miami" 4-3 that kindof dovetails into what I've been saying about how the drafting of Shariff will help our LB play....

Those smaller, speedier linebackers would theoretically be protected by a couple of massive, but still quick defensive tackles that were disruptive enough to keep the linebackers (and the MLB in particular) clean to stop the run and create negative plays. The edge rushing line and swarming Cover-2 shell was designed to create turnovers against the pass.
    Also of note is the last sentence and the following quote. Its the responsibility of the edge rushers and line swarmers (that means Defensive Lineman in case you missed it) to cause turnovers. Not shut down DB's.

The Miami 4-3 has holes. The smaller ends and OLBs can be exploited by a good rush offense. Overpursuit can be an issue. Zone coverage is often a problem if you don't have the athletes to rush the passer.
    Athletes to rush the passer, not CB's who can shut down WR's.

This one can be found in the T2/C2 discussion......

Cover-2 teams, by definition, can't blitz a linebacker frequently. The linebackers and corners can take more underneath zone responsibility, but the pressure must come from the front four. As mentioned above, a Cover-2 that can't generate pressure goes from a bend-but-don't-break style of play to one that gives up big plays in bunches when the deep routes come open downfield.
    In short, blitzing LB'rs can be bad.

The Ultimate Guide to NFL Defense

I hope this helps answer the question, and even more importantly, gets a good discussion going. As most of you know, that is what I love to do.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    Thanks Marty!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2beersTommy View Post
    Thanks Marty!!
    No worries old friend. Anything to get a discussion going.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Looks like this one has as much interest as the last 2 or 3.......

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    I liked it!
    Purple till i die