Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mnjamie's Avatar
    mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,536

    Typical NFL ....

    When it benefits the NFL:

    NFL WON'T BLACKOUT GIANTS AT SAINTS (AT GIANTS)

    Though the NFL hasn't issued a statement to this effect, Profootballtalk.com has been advised by the league office that the Monday night game between the Giants and the Saints at the Meadowlands will be televised in the New York area even if the game is not a sellout.

    According to The New York Daily News, no official decision had been made as of Wednesday. And as of Wednesday night, 25,000 seats were unsold.

    But in response to a question that we submitted by e-mail regarding the application of the blackout rule to Saints "home" game that was moved to New York, NFL spokesman Steve Alic said that the game will be televised on ABC in the New York and New Orleans markets.

    Does that mean, we asked, that the blackout rule doesn't apply to the game?

    Said Alic in response: "The unique and special circumstances surrounding this home game for the Saints do not stop with the pregame ceremonies and hurricane relief telethon -- they also extend into the telecast's distribution."

    In other words, even if not another ticket is sold between now and the start of the game, it will be shown in New York City and all secondary markets (i.e., all markets having signal penetration to within 75 miles of the game site).

    This represents a clear departure from the letter and the spirit of the NFL's blackout policy, the key portion of which reads as follows:

    "To ensure an NFL club's ability to sell all of its game tickets, and to make televised games more attractive to viewers through the presence of sellout crowds, the following policy is observed by the NFL:

    "For a home game to be aired locally in the franchised market and in any secondary blackout market(s), the game must be sold out 72 hours in advance of kickoff. If the game is not a sellout by the 72 hour cutoff, both the home franchised market and the secondary markets of the carrying network will air an alternate game."

    The game is being played in the New York franchised market. Thus, as mentioned above, to ensure the team's ability to sell all game tickets and to make the televised game more attractive to all viewers via the presence of a sellout crowd, the absence of a sellout should result in a local blackout.

    Even under the argument that it's actually is a "home" game for the New Orleans Saints, the absence of a sellout would, under the terms of the blackout policy, require the game to be blacked out in New Orleans (which technically is the "home franchised market") and all of its secondary markets.

    The bottom line here is that the NFL is making a one-time departure from its blackout policy, given the events that gave rise to the odd home game on the road. And we think it's the right thing to do, frankly.

    Still, problems could arise in the future. Whenever exceptions are carved out of a rule that by its plain terms does not contemplate such exceptions, a precedent is set.

    Should, for example, the Saints games in San Antonio be televised locally and in New Orleans if not sold out? Technically, San Antonio is not a "franchised market" because it doesn't actually have an NFL franchise. Thus, the rule is less applicable there than in New York on Monday night.

    Ditto for the four home games to be played in Baton Rouge.

    But then what happens when Wayne Weaver or Paul Allen or any other NFL owner who stares down the prospect of a blackout on a more regular basis points to extenuating circumstances in order to get some consideration from the league office? Or even if no other owner ever tries to rely on the Giants at Saints at Giants precedent in support of a request to massage the terms of the blackout policy, the fact that the Giants are getting not only an extra home game but also the right to broadcast it locally even without a sellout is the kind of thing that really rich dudes who don't have to worry about things like feeding and clothing their kids and making the mortgage payment tend to obsess over.

    Bottom line -- we like the decision that the league office has made, and we fear that its generosity eventually will be rewarded with some "he got his, now where's mine?" resentment from one or more of the other owners out there.



    NOW, before all you "haters" get in an uproar about this being about Katrina and me not recognizing that, I do. I just hate when corporations take advantage of natural disasters for "pure profit". Today alone here locally in Tampa, have seen 3 southern corporations finally decide they want to "help" out. Where the heck were you a couple weeks ago? Your PR and Marketing departments on vacation??

  2. #2
    vikesfan353's Avatar
    vikesfan353 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    192

    Re: Typical NFL ....

    I'm curious to see if this applies to the Saints all year? If it does that will definitaly set a precedent! Now that the schedule has been set as to where they play, they should not make anymore exceptions as the games should have had substantial time to sell out!
    For every question an answer! For every answer a why?

  3. #3
    happy camper's Avatar
    happy camper is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,445

    Re: Typical NFL ....

    i fail to see how the nfl is rewarded for this.

    its a public relations move, pure and simple.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

  4. #4
    mnjamie's Avatar
    mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,536

    Re: Typical NFL ....

    "happy camper" wrote:
    i fail to see how the nfl is rewarded for this.

    its a public relations move, pure and simple.

    It's as simple as being associated with it. Giving the "NFL = Katrina help" spin on things, even when not directly associated. Your telling me you think this doesn't help the NFL market product and merchandise by making sure it's on T.V. even though their own rules nomally wouldn't allow it??

  5. #5
    happy camper's Avatar
    happy camper is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,445

    Re: Typical NFL ....

    "mnjamie" wrote:
    "happy camper" wrote:
    i fail to see how the nfl is rewarded for this.

    its a public relations move, pure and simple.

    It's as simple as being associated with it. Giving the "NFL = Katrina help" spin on things, even when not directly associated. Your telling me you think this doesn't help the NFL market product and merchandise by making sure it's on T.V. even though their own rules nomally wouldn't allow it??
    lets put it this way..

    if the nfl doesnt black out the game and shows it because of katrina.. i doubt anyone would care. hardly anybody will look at it and say "wow, the nfl is so cool for this for not blacking it out, im gonna go buy a giants jeresey"

    now, if the nfl DID black it out.. more people would notice it, and say "hey, katrina happens now we have a game blacked out?"

    the nfl doesnt have much to gain from this. of course some people will look and think its cool, but i doubt it will make a huge difference. but if they black the games out, they have more to lose. like i said before, its a public relations move.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

  6. #6
    mnjamie's Avatar
    mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,536

    Re: Typical NFL ....

    "happy camper" wrote:
    "mnjamie" wrote:
    "happy camper" wrote:
    i fail to see how the nfl is rewarded for this.

    its a public relations move, pure and simple.

    It's as simple as being associated with it. Giving the "NFL = Katrina help" spin on things, even when not directly associated. Your telling me you think this doesn't help the NFL market product and merchandise by making sure it's on T.V. even though their own rules nomally wouldn't allow it??
    lets put it this way..

    if the nfl doesnt black out the game and shows it because of katrina.. i doubt anyone would care. hardly anybody will look at it and say "wow, the nfl is so cool for this for not blacking it out, im gonna go buy a giants jeresey"

    now, if the nfl DID black it out.. more people would notice it, and say "hey, katrina happens now we have a game blacked out?"

    the nfl doesnt have much to gain from this. of course some people will look and think its cool, but i doubt it will make a huge difference. but if they black the games out, they have more to lose. like i said before, its a public relations move.


    Respectively agree to disagree. :lol:

  7. #7
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: Typical NFL ....

    I cannot believe that in a metro area of 17 million that the Giants cannot sell out! Ha ha!

Similar Threads

  1. Typical Packer Fan.
    By Prophet in forum Trash the Pack
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 04:55 AM
  2. Typical Packer Wedding
    By Prophet in forum Trash the Pack
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-28-2007, 10:09 PM
  3. Typical Packer Fans
    By purplehorn in forum Trash the Pack
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-05-2007, 12:44 PM
  4. Wiggins Anything But A Typical TE
    By DCPologirl in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-30-2006, 07:19 PM
  5. a typical packers fan
    By vikes09 in forum Trash the Pack
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 01:57 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •