Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Ty Law to play for the Detroit Lions?

Danng, it seems like detroit is loading up on players.

In what could be a significant step toward his planned return to the NFL, free agent cornerback Ty Law will work out on Monday for Detroit Lions management officials and coaches, his second visit with the team this offseason.

The four-time Pro Bowl performer, released by the New England Patriots in February, has been rehabilitating his surgically-repaired left foot in Miami. The injury limited the 10-year veteran to just seven appearances in 2004 and he finished the season on the injured reserve list.

The session in Detroit will be at least the second recent workout for Law, who had a June 22 workout in Jacksonville for Jaguars officials.

It is not known how extensive the audition will be. But if the Lions are serious about the possibility of pursuing Law, they likely will want to see him make hard cuts as they try to determine exactly where he stands in his recovery. Law has said in recent weeks that he is close to being 100 percent recovered from the injury.

Last week, Lisa Kearns of the Miami-based SportFit Rehab and Training, the physical therapist and exercise physiologist who has been working with Law for months now, told ESPN.com that she felt the star cornerback was very close to being able to audition for any interested suitors. Kearns said she was confident Law would play in the NFL in 2005 and would perform at a high level.

"He's just about there [in his recovery]," said Kearns. "He's able to make hard cuts now and we've just got to turn that up some. But I think he looks just great."

That sentiment was echoed by another Kearns client, former Cleveland quarterback Tim Couch, who recently threw to Law during one of his own rehabilitation sessions.

"I don't want to place a percentage on where I feel like he is," said Couch. "That wouldn't be fair to him. But I know that he looked good and he moved well. [It's] just my opinion, but I think he'll be a big-time player again."

About a half-dozen franchises, with varying degrees of interest and potential commitment financially, have continued to monitor Law's rehabilitation. Agent Carl Poston told The Boston Globe that he has received contract proposals from some clubs, and characterized the offers as varying between "hamburger and filet mignon." Law has reiterated several times during his recovery that he will not sign a minimum salary contract.

The Lions have not been mentioned lately as one of the teams still chasing Law. But if the veteran cornerback performs well in his workout, Detroit could become serious about him. The Lions have one Pro Bowl-caliber cornerback in Dre Bly and their other starter, Fernando Bryant is viewed as a solid defender, but one coming off a subpar season that was affected by injuries.

Detroit signed veteran free agent cornerback R.W. McQuarters two months ago, after he was released by the Chicago Bears, and invested a third-round draft choice on former Stanford corner Stanley Wilson.

Law, 31, has 36 career interceptions and 122 passes defensed in 141 games, all with New England, which selected the former University of Michigan star in the first round of the 1995 draft.

Del Rio Guest

Re: Ty Law to play for the Detroit Lions?

Detroit will be good without him, they will be even better with him. Good move on their part if they pull it off.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Vikes fought the Law and the Law lost"!

I am not worried!

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Jeez, how much money would they have tied up in CB's then? Bly and Fernando Bryant both got bigger deals then they should have. Then they sign McQuarters this off-season, only to try and get Law and give him a huge contract?

I honestly don't see Law choosing Detroit over the other teams that want him, but if he does, their secondary will be d@mn good, provided law stays healthy and returns to form.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

I like where deroit is going with their picks and free agent signings. I just hate the fact that they are in our division. I think that we'll split the season with them. We'll lose in Deroit and we'll win in Minny

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

We'll get the division though.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Uh-oh

Detroit is looking strong, and we only beat them because of a bad snap once last year.

I think they are definitely our biggest threat in the division next season. I am still extremely confident we will get the division, and Dallas and St Louis will get the 2 wildcard spots though.

The Lions are not a playoff threat whatsoever, but they're not gonna be push-overs like the past few years have been.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr Anderson" wrote:
    Uh-oh

Detroit is looking strong, and we only beat them because of a bad snap once last year.

I think they are definitely our biggest threat in the division next season. I am still extremely confident we will get the division, and Dallas and St Louis will get the 2 wildcard spots though.

The Lions are not a playoff threat whatsoever, but they're not gonna be push-overs like the past few years have been.
    We still beat them though and we got even better. :shock:

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Ty Law is this year's Bobby Taylor. I think he was a very good corner, and is now a decent corner (assuming he is recovered from his injury). I believe however, that playing for new England made him look good.

He is now older and declining, not worth a lot of money.

Personally I think Detroit will suck again this year, but hey what do I know. They have never been pushovers when we played them, even in the past several years. I don't see that changing, but I believe we are still a better team.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"Mr Anderson" wrote:
    Uh-oh

Dallas and St Louis will get the 2 wild cards? What about the NFC South with carolina and atlanta? You don't see one of them getting a wild card? I personally don't see a wild card team coming from the NFC west. That is a very weak division.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast