Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,876

    Ty Law cut by the JETS!!!

    Veterans released for salary-cap purposes
    Posted: Wednesday February 22, 2006 12:15PM; Updated: Wednesday February 22, 2006 12:16PM


    HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- The New York Jets slashed their payroll Wednesday by cutting Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law and a host of other veterans, including quarterback Jay Fiedler, offensive tackle Jason Fabini and fullback Jerald Sowell.

    The team is about $26 million over the salary cap and must be at or under the salary cap by March 3, the opening day of free agency.


    the Jets have been negotiating with quarterback Chad Pennington, who twice in the last two years had rotator cuff surgery, in an attempt to reduce a cap number that could be as high as $12 million.

    New York has shaken up its staff and is trying to rebuild under new coach Eric Mangini. These latest moves came a day after the Jets designated defensive end John Abraham their franchise player at $8.3 million, although they may try to trade him.

    Also cut were three reserves: linebacker Barry Gardner, defensive tackle Lance Legree and wide receiver Harry Williams Jr.

    The Jets and Law agreed to not exercise contract options for the next three seasons that were part of the deal when he signed last year. The 32-year-old cornerback spent his first 10 seasons with New England and tied for the NFL lead with 10 interceptions last season.

    "We were very fortunate to have a player of Ty's caliber in 2005," general manager Mike Tannebaum said. "Ty is a warrior and a class act and we appreciate his contributions this past season."

    Fiedler, who signed with the team last season, injured his shoulder seven plays after Pennington was hurt in the third game last season and did not play again.

    Fabini and Sowell are longtime starters -- Fabini started his first 114 games at offensive tackle until he tore a chest muscle Nov. 18 and was lost for the season. Sowell played for nine seasons.

    Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ty Law cut by the JETS!!!

    :shock: I think Ty would be great in purple! Too bad we already have three good CBs. What we really need is some team with salary cap problems to cut a pro bowl safety...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Ty Law cut by the JETS!!!

    What's the deal with Fabini? This guy started 114 straight games at OT...he must be pretty decent...and he tore a CHEST muscle, which doesn't sound career threatening...we gotta at least look at him for our hole at RT. Sounds like a total salary cap issue and nothing else.

    Also Barry Gardner started at MLB for the Iggles (I think) when Trotter went to the Redskins...can't be too bad...I wonder if he would make a decent backup here.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  4. #4
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Ty Law cut by the JETS!!!

    Maybe Ty Law would be willing to switch to SS...anyone recall if he can lay the lick on someone...or is he a touchy-feely CB?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  5. #5
    michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,876

    Re: Ty Law cut by the JETS!!!

    We got two and a half pimp CBs and we don't need Ty. He is over the hill and at the end of his career.

    p.s

    the half as you might have already guessed is Fred "Get Burnt" Smoot

  6. #6
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Ty Law cut by the JETS!!!

    Law is very physical Caj.. He can lay a hit yes..

    Alot of people move to safety when they start to get older.. Im sure he would eventually..

    Although we won't make a run that would be sweet.. 2 ball hawking safetys back there

  7. #7
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,055

    Re: Ty Law cut by the JETS!!!

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    Maybe Ty Law would be willing to switch to SS...anyone recall if he can lay the lick on someone...or is he a touchy-feely CB?
    No, he hits hard.. I am not sure if he would be willing to play safety..

  8. #8
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ty Law cut by the JETS!!!

    the half as you might have already guessed is Fred "Get Burnt" Smoot

    I think you should call him Fred "Get-Burnt-Because-Of-A-Crappy-Defensive-Scheme-And-No-Help-Over-The-Top" Smoot. It would be a little more accurate... :wink:
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  9. #9
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,055

    Re: Ty Law cut by the JETS!!!

    "michaelmazid" wrote:
    Veterans released for salary-cap purposes
    Posted: Wednesday February 22, 2006 12:15PM; Updated: Wednesday February 22, 2006 12:16PM


    HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- The New York Jets slashed their payroll Wednesday by cutting Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law and a host of other veterans, including quarterback Jay Fiedler, offensive tackle Jason Fabini and fullback Jerald Sowell.

    The team is about $26 million over the salary cap and must be at or under the salary cap by March 3, the opening day of free agency.


    the Jets have been negotiating with quarterback Chad Pennington, who twice in the last two years had rotator cuff surgery, in an attempt to reduce a cap number that could be as high as $12 million.

    New York has shaken up its staff and is trying to rebuild under new coach Eric Mangini. These latest moves came a day after the Jets designated defensive end John Abraham their franchise player at $8.3 million, although they may try to trade him.

    Also cut were three reserves: linebacker Barry Gardner, defensive tackle Lance Legree and wide receiver Harry Williams Jr.

    The Jets and Law agreed to not exercise contract options for the next three seasons that were part of the deal when he signed last year. The 32-year-old cornerback spent his first 10 seasons with New England and tied for the NFL lead with 10 interceptions last season.

    "We were very fortunate to have a player of Ty's caliber in 2005," general manager Mike Tannebaum said. "Ty is a warrior and a class act and we appreciate his contributions this past season."

    Fiedler, who signed with the team last season, injured his shoulder seven plays after Pennington was hurt in the third game last season and did not play again.

    Fabini and Sowell are longtime starters -- Fabini started his first 114 games at offensive tackle until he tore a chest muscle Nov. 18 and was lost for the season. Sowell played for nine seasons.

    Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

    Any chance the Vikes bring in Jay Fiedler as a bachup if we trade DC? There is also rumor right now that the Dolphins may release Gus Ferotte if he doesn't restructure his contract. I wouldn't mind having Ferotte back as a backup again either.

  10. #10
    coreyd is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    924

    Re: Ty Law cut by the JETS!!!

    My prediction, Ty Law to the Giants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Where The Jets Still Need Help
    By Marrdro in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2009, 09:35 AM
  2. Jets sign CB Law
    By marstc09 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 02:01 PM
  3. Desperate Jets:
    By Mr. Purple in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-30-2005, 11:53 PM
  4. J E T S jets jets jets!!!!
    By parsongeorge in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 10:25 AM
  5. Jets Fan #10, where are you?
    By so-cal vike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 11:01 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •