Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Two teams had concerns about Culpepper

Posted on Tue, Mar. 28, 2006

[size=18px]Two teams had concerns about Culpepper[/size]

BY ETHAN J. SKOLNICK

South Florida Sun-SentinelORLANDO, Fla. - Several other NFL teams shopping for quarterbacks deemed Daunte Culpepper an intriguing option before the Miami Dolphins acquired him from Minnesota for a second-round draft pick.

Two, however, decided he was not the ideal option for them.

Tuesday, Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher and Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick cited Culpepper's serious knee injury as among their concerns when deciding not to make a deal for him.

"That has a lot of do with the level of interest that we had," said Fisher, who watched tape of Culpepper's pre-injury performances. "Put yourself in a situation where you are going to make a deal right now, for a guy who won't be on the field until June at the earliest, it's a hard thing for us. Not necessarily a hard thing for most people, but it's a hard thing to come to terms with for us."

Fisher said that after the Vikings contacted the Titans, "we talked, and kicked some things around."

"I even had one conversation with Daunte," Fisher said. "But that was it. He indicated to us he had every intention of staying in Florida. He only had so much interest in us. At that point, we went on. We didn't pursue anything beyond that."

The Titans still have veteran Steve McNair on the roster.
    The Ravens still plan to start fourth-year quarterback Kyle Boller. Billick looked at Culpepper and Drew Brees, among other quarterback possibilities, "long and hard." Billick said he had no question about Culpepper's ability, calling him a special talent.

"He's so physical in the pocket, he can make the big play, he makes things happen, he can extend the play," Billick said. But Billick had the same issue with Culpepper as with Brees, who is recovering from shoulder surgery: health.

"Those two injuries are injuries that you have to factor in and be very conscious of for this year," Billick said. "Beyond that, they'll be fine. But you have to be very careful of those injuries for this year. Each team has its own set of perspectives on it. For us, the injuries were enough of a concern in our situation."

Would NFL coaches be comfortable starting a newly acquired quarterback whose injury forced him to miss the majority of offseason work?
    Most of the NFL coaches surveyed Tuesday said, in Culpepper's case, it wouldn't be.

"He's a veteran guy, so it's not like you're dealing with a young player, so he's been there, he's done that," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. "A player like that can make up a lot more ground mentally. He can be fine."

Yet some of those same coaches emphasized the importance of that time.
    "A quarterback needs repetition to learn the offense so it becomes second nature to him," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said, "regardless of whether it's the audible system, going through his reads. The only way you get better is getting reps."

Two teams had concerns about Culpepper

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Two teams had concerns about Culpepper

I even had one conversation with Daunte," Fisher said. "But that was it. He indicated to us he had every intention of staying in Florida. He only had so much interest in us. At that point, we went on. We didn't pursue anything beyond that."

That just goes to prove that he isn't looking out for the team, he is just thinking about himself. Makes me even happier we got rid of him.

Thanks Lotza!

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

the guy doesnt care about the dolphins either..hes just all about being as close to water and boats as possible
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

I'd be concerned too. Daunte's a big guy that relies on his legs to be successful. Just the fact that he's big will add wear and tear on the knees. I'd be surprised to see him have a lot of playing time this year, at least not at a high level.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"A quarterback needs repetition to learn the offense so it becomes second nature to him,"
    And that's something Culpepper never did while in Minnesota. Maybe it was just bad coaching.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Del Rio Guest

Few things:

A) The comment about him not leaving Florida really confirms how I feel about him.

B) He only was going to cost a second round draft pick. They make it sound like it would cost the farm to take a chance.

C)Daunte orchestrated the whole thing IMO he had his mind set on leaving Minnesota and playing in Florida.

D) I would have traded him as far away from FLorida as possible. I would have traded him for a 7th round pick to the most obscure and podunk NFL team there is.

Prophet Guest

Two teams that admitted it. Thankfully the pussy is gone. A spineless man does not a good quarterback make.

mblack76 is offline Pro-Bowler

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Few things:

A) The comment about him not leaving Florida really confirms how I feel about him.

B) He only was going to cost a second round draft pick. They make it sound like it would cost the farm to take a chance.

C)Daunte orchestrated the whole thing IMO he had his mind set on leaving Minnesota and playing in Florida.

D) I would have traded him as far away from FLorida as possible. I would have traded him for a 7th round pick to the most obscure and podunk NFL team there is.
    I totally agree with you. However I need some clarification here.
    Fisher said that after the Vikings contacted the Titans, "we talked, and kicked some things around."
    When did the Vikings contact the Titans? Was it before the email Daunte dropped or after?

Del Rio Guest

"mblack76" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Few things:

I totally agree with you. However I need some clarification here.
    When did the Vikings contact the Titans? Was it before the email Daunte dropped or after?
    I don't know.

If I had to guess I would say it was after, only because he said he had a conversation with Culpepper which leads me to believe it was at the time he knew he was being shopped.

I do believe the Vikings were probably shopping him after he stood Childress up, and continued to try and renigotiate his contract. This particular instance sounds like it was done after the e-mail IMO.

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Dolphins | Saban discusses Culpepper’s progress
    Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:43:26 -0800

Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban discussed QB Daunte Culpepper's (knee) recovery from his knee injury Tuesday, March 28, at the NFL meetings. "He did some straight-line running. He threw the ball some. He took some easy drops," said Saban, who acquired Culpepper from Minnesota earlier this month for a 2006 second-round draft choice. "It's not like this guy is not at a point where he can't start doing some things. I'm just going on what the trainer and the people doing the rehab with him did yesterday, but he was there early and stayed late and worked hard. We were pleased." Saban said he was still uncertain whether Culpepper will be ready for the Sept. 7 regular-season opener at Pittsburgh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    KFFL
    Ravens-Titans | Culpepper’s knee injury scared off the Ravens
    Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:16:37 -0800

Ethan J. Skolnick, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports the Baltimore Ravens talked to the Minnesota Vikings about trading for QB Daunte Culpepper before he was traded to the Miami Dolphins, but they were worried about his knee injury. Ravens head coach Brian Billick looked at Culpepper and QB Drew Brees, among other quarterback possibilities, "long and hard." Billick said he had no question about Culpepper's ability, calling him a special talent. "He's so physical in the pocket, he can make the big play, he makes things happen, he can extend the play," Billick said. But Billick had the same issue with Culpepper as with Brees, who is recovering from shoulder surgery: health.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast