Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    One rule I would like to see changed in football is the touchback rule when a fumble goes through the endzone. Why is it a touchback? Why does the defensive team gain possession? It makes little sense as a rule.

In my opinion, the rule should be changed to place the ball at the spot of the fumble. No fumble forward, but no change of possession either.

In most of the instances where I remember this coming into play, it has happened because some knucklehead began celebrating before actually crossing the goal line only to have someone catch him from behind and knock the ball loose.
    Good punishment for foolish behavior.
    I believe it happened to Sammy White once. He felt terrible about it and never made that mistake again.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    In most of the instances where I remember this coming into play, it has happened because some knucklehead began celebrating before actually crossing the goal line only to have someone catch him from behind and knock the ball loose.
    Good punishment for foolish behavior.
    Are you saying that when Chester Taylor held out the ball to cross the pylon for a TD, and the ball was slipping from his grasp, the player deserved a touchback? I do not believe so.

I see this the most when receivers get caught from behind and the DB punches the ball out. Why should that ball go to the defense? They did not have possession.

I understand that the rule does not differentiate between a fumbled ball and a punted ball, and that is why it is called uniformly, but I still think it is not a great rule. The NFL has different rules for kickoffs on sidelines than fumbles on sidelines, so what is the problem in this situation making different rules as well?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12