View Poll Results: What will be the best DT duo in 2013?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vikings' Kevin Williams and Sharrif Floyd

2 22.22%
  • Lions' Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley

4 44.44%
  • Bills' Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus

1 11.11%
  • Dolphins' Paul Soliai and Randy Starks

0 0%
  • Bengals' Geno Atkins and Domata Peko

2 22.22%
  • Bears' Henry Melton and Stephen Paea

0 0%
  • Other teams

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top 5 DT duos

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    How can you be sure that they both won't be the starting DT's?
    Coach Leslie Frazier said he wants the first of the Vikings' three first-round picks in this year's draft to play in a rotation system with Williams, initially coming in to give the 32-year-old Williams a rest.

...the plan now clearly is for Floyd to play defeinsive tackle, with the rookie initially working behind Williams.
    Vikings: Sharrif Floyd will play behind (not with) Kevin Williams, for now - TwinCities.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Without being too much of a homer, I truly believe by the end of this season, Williams and Floyd will be the best inside duo across the league. Yes, they are helped a lot by JA drawing a double team, but still they are going to be a force.
    Last edited by gregair13; 07-09-2013 at 05:05 PM.
    We're bringing purple back.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    Jerry Ball was a warpig. Pat Williams was a warpig. Ted Washington was a warpig. I know you coined the phrase on here,but I am taking control of it now since you seem to have lost your focus on this one. Floyd is a 3 tech, not a warpig. Your move marr.
    LOL, well played old friend. Well played indeed. I'm just gonna say, come back and see me over time. I think you will include young Shariff in that mix just like I put Johnnie in that mix.

However, one last candidate.......Warren Sapp. Warpig or not? Before you answer....He played at about 300-315 lbs his whole career.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I am surprised you left the combo of Henry Thomas and Keith Millard off your list. They were hell on wheels.

I still say the 1989 defensive line was the best overall we ever had and was one of the best in the history of the NFL.

Chris Doleman- 21 sacks
    Al Noga- 11.5 Sacks
    Kieth Millard-18 Sacks as a DT
    Henry Thomas- 9 sacks as a DT

And while Hardware Hank ONLY had 9 sacks, he was a beast, routinely taking two OL out of the equation and allowing the other 3 to get their numbers. 71 sacks by the defense in 1 year.
    I forgot about Noga and Millard. Really just Noga.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I forgot about Noga and Millard. Really just Noga.
    Thomas was the DT. Noga the DE at that time. I believe the combo of Thomas/Millard was the best DT tandem we have ever had.
    Which one was the warpig?

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Thomas was the DT. Noga the DE at that time. I believe the combo of Thomas/Millard was the best DT tandem we have ever had.
    Which one was the warpig?
    My guess is you will say Henry. I would probably say of the two Henry would be closest. A good DT but not a true warpig mostly because of consistency.

Blog Entries
    Actually I would say neither was and that has been my point. you can have one heck of a DL without your warpig. I kinda like the results of that line when we didn't have one.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    [COLOR="#000000"]

I don't base my evaluation on where a guy is drafted. Scouts and GM's make mistakes all the time (e.g. Tom Brady in the sixth round).
    1. Floyd was projected to go in the top 5 by many highly respected experts. Mayock for example had him gone at number 3 to the Raiders.
    2. I don't really care what other people say. Watch film on Floyd and then tell me number 23 was a fair spot for him to be drafted!
    This is where we differ, I do value where a player was drafted, because that is the true opinion of the true experts. 22 teams decided he wasn't the top player on the board, all of them have scouts. The Panthers and Jets, who also have scouts, chose different DTs while Floyd was still on the board.
    Which has more weight, Yours and Mayocks opinion, or the opinion of the majority of the teams in the NFL?

Blog Entries
    The Jets gave up quite a bit to trade up and draft Sanchez. Not sure I trust their judgemant. The Panthers? Not really much there to make me think they know what they are doing considering Gabbert is way more of a bust than Ponder and that they have spent multiple firsts on QB's in the past few years that may never pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    This is where we differ, I do value where a player was drafted, because that is the true opinion of the true experts. 22 teams decided he wasn't the top player on the board, all of them have scouts. The Panthers and Jets, who also have scouts, chose different DTs while Floyd was still on the board.
    Which has more weight, Yours and Mayocks opinion, or the opinion of the majority of the teams in the NFL?
    Good stuff old friend, just one point.....

Just because a team didn't select a guy, doesn't mean they didn't have him highly ranked. I might mean that they guy didn't fit their scheme.

For instance, young Shariff, might have been graded pretty highly by all teams needing a 4-3 DT and and not as high as teams needing a 3-4 DT.

Then, the BPA concept be danged because they don't really follow it.....a team that had a need for a 4-3 DT might have had a higher need for a LT than a 4-3 DT and passed on him.

If you look at the teams that picked a DT, it seemed to me that they picked them according to what early rumors suggested they might be doing on defense this year (Jets (3-4 even though there was some early discussion this year about switching to a 4-3/Panthers, McDermott said they were going to play more 3-4 this year).

And if you look at what team needs were going into the draft, very few teams (Bronco's and they picked behind us so we won't know who they had higher Shariff or Williams) had DT as high as us on that list.

Long story longer, I see were you are going and it makes sense but it also makes perfect sense why a guy would slip if he was as highly touted as Shariff was.
    2013 NFL Draft Team*Needs | Audibles - SI.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12