Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: top 5 corners in the league

I think Cromartie and Mike McKenzie gotta be in the talk. MM didn't give up a TD to his receiver in 1 on 1 coverage until like week 16 which was the week he ended his season cuz of a torn ACL. Maybe this was because Jason David was on the other side and he got torn apart almost every game, but MM did a lot for the Saints even tho they ended up like 8-8 or 7-9....Not sure if this earns him a spot anything better than like 8th but he's gotta have his name brought up at least, somewhat underrated.

litlharsh is offline Coordinator

Passes deflected don't even tell the whole story, because a corner can have a receiver on complete lockdown so that the QB doesn't throw the ball the Wideout's way at all. The CB would have done his job, but gets no statistical recognition for it.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

As great as cromartie did this season, i can't justify putting him in the top 5 just for the reason that this is his first season.
    If he keeps up those numbers, then certainly he deserves to be there, but thats like calling AD the best runningback of all time.
    You just can't justify it after his rookie season.

davike is offline Team Alumni

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    It would be an interesting argument, but you have to keep in mind that the reason Bailey doesn't have huge stats is that opposing qb's stay away from his side of the field.
    Samuel is a great young player, just starting to earn the respect as one of if not the best in the league.
    I could be wrong here, but if you look at any great cover corner's career stats, I'm sure his early years have more interceptions than his later years, not because the player has regressed, but because other teams have learned to stay away from his side of the field.

According to the stats I've put up, Samuel has the best passes deflected average in the NFL, which in my mind is the most important stat.
    Sure interceptions are important, but if you go for a pick and miss and the other team scores its not good.

in the words of Madden "if you knock the ball down, the receiver can't catch it"

I think that Bailey has reached the point in his career where he may start regressing i the next few years.
    At this point, Samuel will keep getting better, but bailey may not, so I could understand ranking Samuel as the #1 corner in the league.

Litlharsh made a good post on that.

Passes deflected don't even tell the whole story, because a corner can have a receiver on complete lockdown so that the QB doesn't throw the ball the Wideout's way at all. The CB would have done his job, but gets no statistical recognition for it.
    As far as I know we were talking about who is the best right now. Not in a few years, so yeah maybe in a couple years Bailey will drop. But even that I doubt, simply because he is only 29 and could have at least a few more years of solid football left if he keeps himself in good shape. Usually 29 isn't exactly when most players start to drop. Keep in mind that Samuel is only 2 years younger then Bailey, granted Bailey has 4 more years of experience, he still probably won't play that much longer then Bailey.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

davike is offline Team Alumni

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    As great as cromartie did this season, i can't justify putting him in the top 5 just for the reason that this is his first season.
    If he keeps up those numbers, then certainly he deserves to be there, but thats like calling AD the best runningback of all time.
    You just can't justify it after his rookie season.
    I agree about Cromartie....lets see what he does next season before putting him up with the big boys.

Are you saying AD isn't the best of all time?!

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456