Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Top 10 QBs of all time: Could change with results

Playoffs raise historical stakes

Favre or Manning could improve his ranking on Clayton's list of the 10 best-ever QBs

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4838773

Peyton Manning and Brett Favre have Super Bowl rings on their minds as they get ready for their respective conference championship games, but both have other things at stake Sunday.

Each future Hall of Famer can enhance his status among the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history.

Where do they rank in my eyes? Johnny Unitas of the Baltimore Colts, Joe Montana of the San Francisco 49ers and Otto Graham of the Cleveland Browns are my top three. I still go back and forth on whether Unitas or Montana should be No. 1, but that's a debate for another time.

Currently, I have Favre at No. 5, slightly behind John Elway of the Denver Broncos and ahead of Dan Marino of the Miami Dolphins. If Favre's Minnesota Vikings beat the New Orleans Saints for the NFC title and subsequently win the Super Bowl, it might be time to start thinking about giving him the No. 4 slot.
    Probably a better article for the offseason, but Idiot Clayton decided to write it now.
    We're bringing purple back.

Re: Top 10 QBs of all time: Could change with resu

I personally like Clayton most of the time and think his rankings here are pretty good.

I am a Montana over Unitas guy, and I am a Marino AND Favre over Elway guy, but that is because I care a little more about stats over Super Bowls than the average guy.

Solid list though. And obviously a Favre or Manning Super Bowl win would really add to their credentials.
    None

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Midge Resurrected wrote:
    I personally like Clayton most of the time and think his rankings here are pretty good.

I am a Montana over Unitas guy, and I am a Marino AND Favre over Elway guy, but that is because I care a little more about stats over Super Bowls than the average guy.

Solid list though. And obviously a Favre or Manning Super Bowl win would really add to their credentials.
    Marino's a choker. Couldn't win the big one.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus wrote:
    Midge Resurrected wrote:

=Z=
    Kind of hard for him to do with the cast he had around him.

The only times he ever "choked" was against New England in 85 and Buffalo in 92 (both teams went to the Super Bowl and the Dolphins were not actually favored in the 92 game despite being at home).

It is funny that Elway gets so much love when he was just a lesser version of Marino until he was given other offensive weapons, primarily a running game, that Marino never had. Elway also benefitted from a better defense over the course of his entire career than Marino really ever had.

The Dolphins front office choked a lot more than Marino did. To have a talent like him for that long and never put the pieces in place to make it successful is really a shame.
    None

Midge Resurrected wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Midge Resurrected wrote:

The only times he ever "choked" was against New England in 85 and Buffalo in 92 (both teams went to the Super Bowl and the Dolphins were not actually favored in the 92 game despite being at home).

It is funny that Elway gets so much love when he was just a lesser version of Marino until he was given other offensive weapons, primarily a running game, that Marino never had. Elway also benefitted from a better defense over the course of his entire career than Marino really ever had.

The Dolphins front office choked a lot more than Marino did. To have a talent like him for that long and never put the pieces in place to make it successful is really a shame.
    Interesting. Marino's cast was good enough for him to set all the big records but not good enough for him to win? Is that your stance?

=Z=

Zeus wrote:
    Midge Resurrected wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Midge Resurrected wrote:

Interesting. Marino's cast was good enough for him to set all the big records but not good enough for him to win? Is that your stance?

=Z=
    Usually you only play good teams in the playoffs.

Do you consider Tarkenton a choker too?

fanofteam is offline Starter

Midge Resurrected wrote:

Elway beat Favre head to head as a 13 point under dog. That alone breaks any tie and puts Elway in front of Favre

This current Viking team is the reason Favre looks so good today. Put him on a mediocre team like Elway and Marino played most years and he will revert to his old INT form

DiehardVikesFan wrote:

Hate to say so, but he did fail on the biggest stage three times. For me to consider a QB to be one of the best of all-time I need him to be a big-game winner. That's just one of my personal criteria in compiling a list like this.

I will say this - Tarkenton was more of a winner than Marino, that's for sure.

=Z=

green hornet is offline Starter

Tarkenton was a loser and a choker. He had a lot more talent than marino had around him, and still couldnt win the big one.
    He cant even be compared to marino, because there really is none. You have a pure pocket passer vs a scab, that relied on his defense to keep the team in games, kind of like trent dilfer except, he won a ring. LOL
    Zeus wrote:
    DiehardVikesFan wrote:

Hate to say so, but he did fail on the biggest stage three times. For me to consider a QB to be one of the best of all-time I need him to be a big-game winner. That's just one of my personal criteria in compiling a list like this.

=Z=

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

green hornet wrote:
    Tarkenton was a loser and a choker. He had a lot more talent than marino had around him, and still couldnt win the big one.
    He cant even be compared to marino, because there really is none. You have a pure pocket passer vs a scab, that relied on his defense to keep the team in games, kind of like trent dilfer except, he won a ring. LOL
    Zeus wrote:
    DiehardVikesFan wrote:

=Z=
    like trent dilfer... ha!

#1 all time passer when he retired. But your right, he's a trent dilfer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast