i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Top 10 NFL offenses of all time

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=jessejames09 link=topic=52149.msg958098#msg958098 date=1244994025]
    What Favre can do, in the short game alone, would carry this team. Look at any game he played, in his last year with the Pack, he was simply running the short game perfectly (misdirections, screens, slants, shovel passes). If we can get him to play Chiller ball, even a little bit, to reduce his chances down the field, there's no stopping us.
    Solid post.

Problem is, will he be able to play Chiller ball or will he revert to the gunslinger when/if the opportunity presents itself (ala his last year with GB)?
    You mean the year he went to the NFC Championship game?
    ......and tried to chuck it deep to a WR that was triple covered instead of the guys who were wide open underneath who would have sustained the drive.....

Yup, that player.....
    ?

you must be referring to the 20 yard throw, to a receiver who was moderately open in single coverage on the right, which the CB made a great play on the ball and picked off?

[img width=450 height=208]http://www.benspicks.com/FavreThrow.jpg[/img]

You exaggerate a tad bit with ol' Favre.
    OK, so it was double coverage..... ;D

Seriously, he had 2, possibly 3 other options that were better than what he threw to.
    [/quote]

I only see single coverage.

but your right, he had other options, the out to the left (blindside, that he didn't ahve time to look over as you can see there's a guy about to sack him), and the short dump off.

Do you remember what the down/distance was on that play?
    I think the decision he made was fine, as his receiver has a step, the location was poor though.
    I can't say for sure though without watching the video of it.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"tb04512" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=jessejames09 link=topic=52149.msg958098#msg958098 date=1244994025]
    What Favre can do, in the short game alone, would carry this team. Look at any game he played, in his last year with the Pack, he was simply running the short game perfectly (misdirections, screens, slants, shovel passes). If we can get him to play Chiller ball, even a little bit, to reduce his chances down the field, there's no stopping us.
    Solid post.

Problem is, will he be able to play Chiller ball or will he revert to the gunslinger when/if the opportunity presents itself (ala his last year with GB)?
    ......and tried to chuck it deep to a WR that was triple covered instead of the guys who were wide open underneath who would have sustained the drive.....

Yup, that player.....
    ?

you must be referring to the 20 yard throw, to a receiver who was moderately open in single coverage on the right, which the CB made a great play on the ball and picked off?

[img width=450 height=208]http://www.benspicks.com/FavreThrow.jpg[/img]

You exaggerate a tad bit with ol' Favre.
    look at the receiver on the left doing an out WIDE open, receiver over the middle WIDE open, the tight end right past the line WIDE open.. and he passes to the guy who has a defender all over him c'mon now even the favre c**I love the word I used**k smokers can say that was a terrible pass
    [/quote]
    I actually remember another shot of this were the S was over there giving help, or atleast, was a bit closer.
    Regardless, I agree, it was a bad decision, in big game at a critical time.

That same type of decision making got his ass benched in the Dallas game and IMHO ultimately forced the GB FO to decide it was time to move on.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    Solid post.

Yup, that player.....
    Yup like none of our QBs have made mistakes. Remember our home playoff game?
    : At least he advanced in the playoffs.
    I hope to all that is holy that he advanced........He has been playing how many years and has played in how many PO games, unlike a poor first timer in the playoffs who had his Center tossing the ball at his feet, a OL that couldn't consistently give him a pocket or open holes for the running attack and a defense that gave up a fricken screen pass (a fricken screen pass) for a TD.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Solid post.

Yup, that player.....
    I hope to all that is holy that he advanced........He has been playing how many years and has played in how many PO games, unlike a poor first timer in the playoffs who had his Center tossing the ball at his feet, a OL that couldn't consistently give him a pocket or open holes for the running attack and a defense that gave up a fricken screen pass (a fricken screen pass) for a TD.

[/quote]

More excuses for TJ.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Solid post.

Yup, that player.....

[/quote] How many screen passes did Brian W. take to the house last season?
    More than just a few, now with AD and PH, I can see us doing the same to others.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

"NordicNed" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=52149.msg960700#msg960700 date=1245690204]
    Solid post.

Yup, that player.....

More than just a few, now with AD and PH, I can see us doing the same to others.....
    [/quote]
    It isn't the QB that makes a screen work my friend.
    It is the OL, QB, RB, WR's, TE's all getting the job done and in most cases, the Defense getting out of position because of the fake that all of them did which convinced the D it was something other than a screen.

Having LNAD under Center isn't gonna fix our woes in that regard, and neither is PH.

As I've said repeatedly, we couldn't run a screen because Matt and the rest of the line (mostly blame Matt) couldn't sell it or execute it.

vikesfan87 is offline Waterboy

Sorry to change the subject, and I guess it doesn't count because they played in the AFL, but the San Diego Chargers (Los Angeles I guess) had a pretty potent offense in the 1960's with Tobin Rote and John Hadl at QB with Lincoln and Lowe forming a great running back duo and Lance Alworth at WR. If you look at the AFL statistics from that era, the influences they have on the pro game today are extraordinary.

The Vikings offense of the 1970's was pretty good, too, for the time, although they were always overshadowed by the defense.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

"vikesfan87" wrote:
    Sorry to change the subject, and I guess it doesn't count because they played in the AFL, but the San Diego Chargers (Los Angeles I guess) had a pretty potent offense in the 1960's with Tobin Rote and John Hadl at QB with Lincoln and Lowe forming a great running back duo and Lance Alworth at WR. If you look at the AFL statistics from that era, the influences they have on the pro game today are extraordinary.

The Vikings offense of the 1970's was pretty good, too, for the time, although they were always overshadowed by the defense.
    Good points. I'm not so shure that the Vikings offense in the 70's is top 10 material (although they were very good), but the Chargers should have been on the list somewhere IMO.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "NordicNed" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=52149.msg960705#msg960705 date=1245690847]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=52149.msg960700#msg960700 date=1245690204]
    Solid post.

Yup, that player.....

[/quote]
    It isn't the QB that makes a screen work my friend.
    It is the OL, QB, RB, WR's, TE's all getting the job done and in most cases, the Defense getting out of position because of the fake that all of them did which convinced the D it was something other than a screen.

Having LNAD under Center isn't gonna fix our woes in that regard, and neither is PH.

As I've said repeatedly, we couldn't run a screen because Matt and the rest of the line (mostly blame Matt) couldn't sell it or execute it.
    [/quote]

If the QB stares down the RB, it won't work either.
    A successful screen needs all the parts working at once.
    Notice that the Packers were vvery good at running the screen pass over the past 5+ years, they had a fast RB (green), a good OL (not as much anymore) and a QB who was mobile in the pocket, that made defenses respect him deep, and took advantage of that.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

98 vikings so fun to watch, so disappointing at the same time though.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234